Well it looks like Amazon might be starting

swing_drv

So people shopped at Amazon because they liked their stuff delivered to their house. Now Amazon is charging them to be a customer and go pick up their own stuff? Brilliant!!!!!!!! Lol

barnyard

KTM rider
sure we can exist without them, I feel there’s more than enough volume to go around honestly
The eastern edge of our center's delivery area is being covered by Amazon's services. I deliver less than half the Amazon volume that I used to have. It used to be that 4 people would deliver that zip, now it is in 3.5 routes. I have been covering a different route and that is west of where Amazon works, that route is close to half Amazon.

The shipping pie is growing. If we lost significant Amazon volume. It would probably hurt, but the volume would be slowly replaced. We still have feeder guys that only run trailers to Amazon and back to the hub. I would guess that our 22.4 people would all work the preload or local sort during the week and deliver on Saturdays.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The eastern edge of our center's delivery area is being covered by Amazon's services. I deliver less than half the Amazon volume that I used to have. It used to be that 4 people would deliver that zip, now it is in 3.5 routes. I have been covering a different route and that is west of where Amazon works, that route is close to half Amazon.

The shipping pie is growing. If we lost significant Amazon volume. It would probably hurt, but the volume would be slowly replaced. We still have feeder guys that only run trailers to Amazon and back to the hub. I would guess that our 22.4 people would all work the preload or local sort during the week and deliver on Saturdays.

We have a couple large outlying centers (100+ routes) that were bursting at the seems. Amazon opened DSP's in both locations and their still bursting at the seems.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have a couple large outlying centers (100+ routes) that were bursting at the seems. Amazon opened DSP's in both locations and their still bursting at the seems.
If Amazon were to deliver our whole service area, I suspect that we would be just a little bit less busy.

Cloud

Good, it's all the return crap that they should be doing anyways. I wish we would stop doing amazon's call tags. They honestly should be the ones picking up the crap that people thought looked good on the internet but don't want.

From what I understand, the margin is so thin on Amazon that if it went away entirely, we wouldn't even notice it on the P&L reports. Not sure how many jobs it would cost, but business-wise we would be fine.

The concern is when they begin 3rd party shipping/delivery, they would undercut prices to establish volume. Subsidized by all of the other profitable ventures, they could keep prices very low for a very long time. If Bezos played the long game, all of the major shippers could be significantly damaged.

TTLS1

From what I understand, the margin is so thin on Amazon that if it went away entirely, we wouldn't even notice it on the P&L reports. Not sure how many jobs it would cost, but business-wise we would be fine.

The concern is when they begin 3rd party shipping/delivery, they would undercut prices to establish volume. Subsidized by all of the other profitable ventures, they could keep prices very low for a very long time. If Bezos played the long game, all of the major shippers could be significantly damaged.
Considering that almost everything we own is paid for, I still think we could compete.

Est.1998

Good, it's all the return crap that they should be doing anyways. I wish we would stop doing amazon's call tags. They honestly should be the ones picking up the crap that people thought looked good on the internet but don't want.
I've been saying this!!!!

I completely agree, I'm not worried about closing doors or the sky falling. That said, it doesn't mean we wouldn't/couldn't lose a significant number of jobs in the process.
UPS has a significant amount of debt and they also need to update their buildings and as you can tell need a whole lot more package cars
David worried about the stock price for too long and not about the actual business itself.
Amazon has a ton of money to burn and they do not care how much they lose in the process to take everyone else down

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
When covid started I had gotten up to 250 stops on my route that normally had 130 stops due to amazon volume. Our area eventually shut off Amazon completely to clean up our buildings. We had no Amazon at all for about 3 weeks, then got them back but ever since it has just been a small amount, less than 10% of my truck. Amazon was already delivering some of their own stuff in our area, but we forced them to put more rental vans and workers on the road so they're keeping most of that volume now.
We have a couple of very rural towns in my building that still get a lot of amazon because amazon isn't sending out vans there.

UPS has a significant amount of debt and they also need to update their buildings and as you can tell need a whole lot more package cars
David worried about the stock price for too long and not about the actual business itself.
Amazon has a ton of money to burn and they do not care how much they lose in the process to take everyone else down

UPS maintains it's debts for tax purposes. Many large profitable and solvent corporations operate this way. Many have enough liquid to zero out debt, but take advantage of tax benefits of paid interest.