What do you do for fun on the job?

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy, the above earlier quote is my serious explanation of what I would have done. I believe in second chances for people, and as a practicioner of fun myself, I understand how this could have gotten out of hand.
house I don't think you understood my post. It does not matter what you or I would have done.

the guy admitted to organized tampering on a public message board. He also told everyone here what hub he works out of. There's a good chance someone will be looking for him very soon.

H

hseofpayne

Tieguy, the above earlier quote is my serious explanation of what I would have done. I believe in second chances for people, and as a practicioner of fun myself, I understand how this could have gotten out of hand.
house I don't think you understood my post. It does not matter what you or I would have done.

the guy admitted to organized tampering on a public message board. He also told everyone here what hub he works out of. There's a good chance someone will be looking for him very soon.

Does'nt that make you sad, that a forum like this would be used to head hunt. Good luck to whoever tried to prove any of this. You still haven't said if you ever had a bit of fun at UPS. I think that was the original idea of this post. Maybe you fired somebody one day and really enjoyed it; tell us about it!

kwed95

former pre-load p/t sup
OK angel guy, I will be at your front door in 5 minutes with the FBI, CIA, OSI, DEA, UPS, and any other 3 letter names I can think of with a warrant to search your house for ANY property of UPSs', from crayons, to pens, extra hats, DIAD pens, anything that you shouldn't have. I doubt their is a single UPS employee who hasn't taken something home (not on purpose) that would get them fired. If y'all think a guy AND his boss should be fired over a can of silly string then I hope you never make a mistake. :sad-very::sad-very::sad-very: This was supposed to be a thread about fun, not a flamers convention. Sometimes thats all a thread should be, fun!

thanks

kwed95

former pre-load p/t sup
"the guy admitted to organized tampering on a public message board. He also told everyone here what hub he works out of. There's a good chance someone will be looking for him very soon."

they can look for me if they want to that was about 4 years ago and I don't work there anymore.

cino321

You need to draw the line somewhere. There is a difference between innocent fun, like for example what scooby said that he messes around with other drivers in his loop or whatever, but messing around with other people's stuff (like packages) is enough to get you fired.

Sure there have been plenty of opportunities I wanted to jump at but told myself no because it's wrong, a laugh is not worth getting fired for.

kwed95

former pre-load p/t sup
Oh and Tie, the original poster does have his personal blog linked to his post. There's enough information there for someone to figure out who he is :)

Really smart on his part!

seriously...you all make it seem like we went in ripped open all of these boxes just to have fun.

once again I don't work there anymore. If UPS has a file from 3-4 years ago with all the damaged items and can place the one my entire area used then come get me. seriously. UPS had to pay for it anyways...:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:ty attitude to have? maybe but in my 5 years there I saw alot worse attitudes and actions than mine.

---------------- Now playing: God Forbid - The Lonely Dead (Live) via FoxyTunes

UPS Lifer

seriously...you all make it seem like we went in ripped open all of these boxes just to have fun.

once again I don't work there anymore. If UPS has a file from 3-4 years ago with all the damaged items and can place the one my entire area used then come get me. seriously. UPS had to pay for it anyways...:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:ty attitude to have? maybe but in my 5 years there I saw alot worse attitudes and actions than mine.

I don't think UPS is going to come after you.... BUT, your full-time supervisor failed you when that silly string incident occurred. I don't think you understand that you could have been separated from the company for that prank. I personally would have sat you down with the division manager and you would have had to explain to him why you should keep your job! Your full-time supervisor would have been sitting right beside you.

The reason I tell you this is to keep you from making a mistake in the future....no matter where you work. A silly prank to you may be just enough to get you fired. Is it worth it?

Your employees observe what you do and you have to set a higher standard. As far as I am concerned your FT supervisor, by not doing anything, condoned your actions and he might as well have been squeezing the button! He would actually be in bigger trouble just because of his position.

H

hseofpayne

---------------- Now playing: God Forbid - The Lonely Dead (Live) via FoxyTunes

I have an idea! Go back and start a new thread that just asks if anyone EVER had any fun at work but DO NOT for Gods' sake mention any instance of fun you may have had. Lets see how long it takes to get somebody fired on the new thread!

Put that under the lame, lame, lame thread!
By any other name, Lame IS this thread.
I can see where you are coming from on this subject and don't totally disagree with you on the punishment phase. In your set up in the original post it was the young, inexperienced P/T sup that started wasting the customers silly string and then the loaders joined in. IMO, the sup should at very least be demoted to another PT job that is the underbelly of UPS for an undetermined time(after an explanation of why what he did was wrong)and have him make restitution for the lose of merchandise or fired. The hourlies, because they were following the lead of that sup, should st least suffer a one day without pay suspension. This will let them all know that using a customers property is not acceptable.
The cost of the silly string is irrelevant, there is a principle here that can not be over looked.
Now to get back to the subject of " What do you do on the job for fun". I'm not too sure that having FUN on the job is as important as you wish it was. Now, enjoying your job is a different matter all together. I enjoy making people smile, sometimes it's because I bring a package to them that they have been looking forward to having. Sometimes it's just a smile and courteous hello that makes them smile. Sometimes it's a little, lighthearted comment, but even that has to be filtered from time to time. I find that when I am successful in helping the customers I deliver to smile, it makes the sometimes drudgery of my job to be insignificant.

leastbest

LeastBest
People have mentioned taking the truck home.

I remember in the early seventies drivers being allowed to take the trucks home on weekends to haul firewood or move furniture. Just had to make sure the gas tank was full when it came back.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

UPS Lifer

I can tell you that in 36 years as a Teamster and management employee - I saw my share of "fun" things happen on the job. Some of them were practical jokes, some were things that those who participated in could probably have lost their jobs.... but none the lest - We had a lot of fun and still got the job done while keeping the customer happy and making money for the company! Those were the good ole days! When things were simple and nobody was worried about lawsuits and liability and people just turned the other cheek.

I highly recommend you don't do any of these today!
Here are some examples: Every one of these happening - some more than once!

* Park your PC around block and hide in the back compartment and scare the driver upon return!
* Same variation but steal the PC and drive away!
* Call in a code 14 "Hit Dog" complaint to the center next to you and pretend your the customer!
* Go into the District Manager's office (impersonating him) and start dialing centers and asking why a driver was overallowed the previous day and why you weren't on car following up!
* Screwing drawers shut!
* Turning files upside down!
* Pulling the pages out of a binder so that when the binder is pulled off the shelf everything fall out!
* Getting rookie supervisors to go to every center in the building and asking for the xmas wreath package delivery count and having them take it to the division manager!
(every center is in the boat on this one except the division manager!)
* Getting rookie supervisor to ask manager where the package car stretcher is so you can fit more packages in
* Posting unusual sick call notices by the time clock so that everyone can see what reason was used to call in sick. Once driver called in with Blue Walnuts!
* I was called up to the security office one day to observe one couple having "fun" on a sort slide during break!

I am going to stop there. My apologies to those folks that don't approve. Remember this was back in the day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lifer's post reminded me of my initiation at my first duty station while I was in the Air Force. My job was to refuel airplanes. Well, they sent me out to refuel a B1RD. I spent 30 minutes and several radio transmissions trying to find the plane with no luck. I finally called in and told them that I could not find the plane and the laughter told me that I had been had, big time.

When I had a few more stripes on my sleeves, we would initiate new airman by telling them to go to the supply squadron and ask for a few yards of flightline.