What do you eat for lunch

rickyb

The current recommendation is under 2300 mg. But there is virtually no evidence that going over that amount daily has any lasting negative effects. It will raise blood pressure short term due to osmosis. If you already have blood pressure issues, that can be problematic, but if you are healthy two or three times the recommended daily allowance won't hurt you.
How the recommended low levels of salt in your diet might actually be dangerous
nutrition action says 1500

michael greger is a bit lower.

Is a Low Salt Diet Plan Healthy? - Nutrition Action

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
nutrition action says 1500

michael greger is a bit lower.

Is a Low Salt Diet Plan Healthy? - Nutrition Action

There is nothing in that article that supports any claim that sodium in excess of 2300 mg is harmful. The author made the claim that it is unhealthy, and she says the AHA recommends aiming for 1500 mg, but doesn't quote a source. The rest of the article simply reports on a committee's finding that a few studies that made claims about very low sodium diets being unhealthy were flawed. The article doesn't even define what "very low" means. In my research very low was considered under 1200 mg. The range most researchers seem to claim is healthy is between 1200 and 2300 mg. But the evidence that amounts between 2300 and around 6000 mg is harmful has also been found to be lacking.

rickyb

There is nothing in that article that supports any claim that sodium in excess of 2300 mg is harmful. The author made the claim that it is unhealthy, and she says the AHA recommends aiming for 1500 mg, but doesn't quote a source. The rest of the article simply reports on a committee's finding that a few studies that made claims about very low sodium diets being unhealthy were flawed. The article doesn't even define what "very low" means. In my research very low was considered under 1200 mg. The range most researchers seem to claim is healthy is between 1200 and 2300 mg. But the evidence that amounts between 2300 and around 6000 mg is harmful has also been found to be lacking.
yea i have 2 sources that i trust and to the best of my memory its around 1000 to 1500. their numbers are out there if you wish to look it up.

the better question is why do you trust the sources you do?

Heavy Package

7a68feeb342cf035b36eff0203fa989b.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
yea i have 2 sources that i trust and to the best of my memory its around 1000 to 1500. their numbers are out there if you wish to look it up.

the better question is why do you trust the sources you do?

It's more like the lack of sources? There is insufficient evidence from any studies to support the theory that sodium levels in the 2300 - 6000 mg range are dangerous. On the flipside, I took plenty of biology courses in college, and it is well understood that sodium and potassium are both necessary for neurons to fire electric charges, ie signals from the brain. It is a well understood phenomenon that too little sodium or potassium can interfere with the proper functioning of neurons. Those signals are necessary for your heart to continue beating. There are numerous cases of heart failure due to electrolyte imbalance. If you understand the physiology and chemistry, it makes it easier to discern which sources are reliable.

rickyb

It's more like the lack of sources? There is insufficient evidence from any studies to support the theory that sodium levels in the 2300 - 6000 mg range are dangerous. On the flipside, I took plenty of biology courses in college, and it is well understood that sodium and potassium are both necessary for neurons to fire electric charges, ie signals from the brain. It is a well understood phenomenon that too little sodium or potassium can interfere with the proper functioning of neurons. Those signals are necessary for your heart to continue beating. There are numerous cases of heart failure due to electrolyte imbalance. If you understand the physiology and chemistry, it makes it easier to discern which sources are reliable.
yea i just did biology 12 myself, got 84% first try...youre welcome.

im not disputing that you need salt, but i am disputing the >2300 mg numbers. nutrition action does articles on restaraunts which blow through max daily intake numbers on fats and salts where people will eat 3x the limit in 1 meal.

back to school, i dont necessarily trust anything i read in school. i think michael greger critiques the health profession and schools immediately in his book. when you go to a doctor, they usually ignore what foods to eat and cut straight to medications. in my dads case for his blocked artery, they do help with what foods to eat. alot of economists i listen to are very critical of the schools where they went to including the top schools in america.

as i think i said before, nutrition action is part of CSPI which ralph nader is associated with. michael greger has been interviewed by chris hedges. they are all by donation and critical of big agriculture.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
yea i just did biology 12 myself, got 84% first try...youre welcome.

im not disputing that you need salt, but i am disputing the >2300 mg numbers. nutrition action does articles on restaraunts which blow through max daily intake numbers on fats and salts where people will eat 3x the limit in 1 meal.

back to school, i dont necessarily trust anything i read in school. i think michael greger critiques the health profession and schools immediately in his book. when you go to a doctor, they usually ignore what foods to eat and cut straight to medications. in my dads case for his blocked artery, they do help with what foods to eat. alot of economists i listen to are very critical of the schools where they went to including the top schools in america.

as i think i said before, nutrition action is part of CSPI which ralph nader is associated with. michael greger has been interviewed by chris hedges. they are all by donation and critical of big agriculture.

So you don't trust the established medical industry, which I tend to agree with, but you buy into the its take on sodium?

I have yet to find a source, which disputes the low sodium approach, that also offers an alternative suggested upper limit. What I've researched has simply indicated the lack of evidence for the harmfulness of sodium intake above 2300 mg up to 3x that amount. Presumably there is some upper limit at which regular intake would be unhealthy. The difficulty comes in when you consider the fact that your body can easily eliminate excess sodium through urination. It's like any water soluable nutrient. Vitamin C, one such water soluable vitamin, does not seem to have an upper limit to intake, because your body eliminates excess amounts.

An article I just found referenced studies showing that people who consumed less than 3000mg of sodium per day were more likely to develop heart disease. The studies also suggest that people who already have kidney function issues and/heart disease are the ones who would benefit from limiting sodium intake, but the levels they suggest are under 7000 mg.

Anyway, I'm clearly not going to convince you, which is fine. I'm of the opinion that everyone should do their own research and make up their own mind on just about any subject. You are the one who has to live with the decisions you make about your health. I like to offer information that contradicts common beliefs when I feel anyone might benefit from such information.

rickyb

So you don't trust the established medical industry, which I tend to agree with, but you buy into the its take on sodium?

I have yet to find a source, which disputes the low sodium approach, that also offers an alternative suggested upper limit. What I've researched has simply indicated the lack of evidence for the harmfulness of sodium intake above 2300 mg up to 3x that amount. Presumably there is some upper limit at which regular intake would be unhealthy. The difficulty comes in when you consider the fact that your body can easily eliminate excess sodium through urination. It's like any water soluable nutrient. Vitamin C, one such water soluable vitamin, does not seem to have an upper limit to intake, because your body eliminates excess amounts.

An article I just found referenced studies showing that people who consumed less than 3000mg of sodium per day were more likely to develop heart disease. The studies also suggest that people who already have kidney function issues and/heart disease are the ones who would benefit from limiting sodium intake, but the levels they suggest are under 7000 mg.

Anyway, I'm clearly not going to convince you, which is fine. I'm of the opinion that everyone should do their own research and make up their own mind on just about any subject. You are the one who has to live with the decisions you make about your health. I like to offer information that contradicts common beliefs when I feel anyone might benefit from such information.
gregers 2 vids i posted there suggest a correllation between sodium intake and high blood pressure if i recall.

yea right on, i always question how people decide which information to follow bc as you know you can go on the net and find anything. my buddy has a hard time with this. i dont.

i think greger said the AHA rec'd 1500 mg sodium a day or less i forget.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I typically eat 4 Scrambled Eggs, 8oz of bacon and 1 Avocado for Breakfast
Lunch is usually a 12 to 16oz steak and a Dozen Grilled Shrimp 3 to 4 times a week....Grilled Shrimp, Scallops and Fish the other days
Dinner is usually Steak and some sort of Seafood 3 to 4 nights a week. Pork and Chicken the other nights.

trickpony1

I typically eat 4 Scrambled Eggs, 8oz of bacon and 1 Avocado for Breakfast
Lunch is usually a 12 to 16oz steak and a Dozen Grilled Shrimp 3 to 4 times a week....Grilled Shrimp, Scallops and Fish the other days
Dinner is usually Steak and some sort of Seafood 3 to 4 nights a week. Pork and Chicken the other nights.

...and for dessert you do a couple of lines?