What do you think about drivers who sort their truck off the clock?

quad decade guy

This question is as old as UPS.

You would think with all the bluster of the "hardcore" union thugs here.....this just wouldn't occur.....

But yet....

With the lack of union representation that has been demonstrated on BC, by big union guys....you can see how drivers and employees will do whatever it takes to survive. You work around the ineptitude of both sides. The company screwing the employee for every second of time(and then some)....the union soaking up dues money on a free ride. NO? YOU AREN'T PAYING ATTENTION.

See, if an employee could count on unqualified support(from the union)....he/she could have a legitimate chance of NOT doing things in order to get through the day. Yes....including buying his own handcart or maybe toilet paper...

I started in automotive where you worked and then went to lunch and then you worked until you punched out. Pretty simple and standard out in the world. I always thought we should be paid to dress for work......shine shoes etc. I do think UPS should have provided socks.

It was a shock going into operations(pkg). You work one day in pkg and realize until you qualify, you do everything to do so. Cut every corner in the book. Come in 2 hours early? You bet. Is it right? Absolutely NOT.

After a while you should realize how friend'ed up this whole deal is.....

Now, my solution? After I made it, I simply never came close to my pkg car until start time. I would bring a book to read to kill time(there were no cell phones) and would even do stretching exercises to get ready. Right in front of the Center. This infuriated my manager and Division Mgr.. Which began a long campaign to get me fired. It is a long story that obviously ended well for me.

Cowboy Mac

I can't even begin to describe the ****storm this center is in right now. 9:20 start times for everyone. Unload and both sorts have no clue what they are doing other than to cram, missort and damage everything they touch. Not a single person can write legibly or face an address out. Businesses are dispatched to the worst shelf locations possible. RDO is horrific and therefore the shelf load locations make no sense. Add-cuts every. single. day. Computers now are spitting out bad addresses, closed businesses, and futures faster than ever. Not a single bulk stop get's redirected to a cart no matter the size.

It would be a damn miracle, if I could just walk out, pick up a box, put the box into a car, and repeat without any interruptions.
Sounds like we work in the same center...

Whither

Scofflaw
One day my load was so bad, my on-road came down to the belt, chewed out the belt supe, and pulled two preloaders who wanted to stay late for an extra hour. They pulled all the air they could find and had me run it out of a sprinter van while those two guys reloaded the entire truck. I got off at 9:30 that night.
Got to my car after pcm, back door blown out floor to ceiling, which is common the past few weeks. Walk through my neighbor's car and find my handcart in the cab and an enormous irreg jammed between the 1 and 3 shelves, braced against other pkgs, sticking out of the bulkhead. Several irregs beneath it too. I spent ~20 minutes in the yard verifying my air and creating just enough space to open and close the bulkhead and access the air. Front to back the aisle was stacked to the top shelves. Been a while since I had a load that nasty.

Morning was such a travesty come evening I couldn't even find the misload I had reported -- couldn't recall what the pkg looked like haha -- but I could've sworn it was a box. Nope, a small envelope, and only thought to look under bag after my last stop. Center told me to run it, so I punched after 930. But I still would've punched out an hour later with 180 deliveries/365 pieces today than I did with 210/380 yesterday. I was the furniture and car parts delivery guy today. Would've done just as well in a rental honestly.

When you're set up to fail, you take your time.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
This question is as old as UPS.

You would think with all the bluster of the "hardcore" union thugs here.....this just wouldn't occur.....

The % of "hardcore Union thugs" here on BrownCafe Is minuscule, compared to the number of people that

work at UPS and couldn't even be bothered to vote on their own contract.... let alone, the strike vote.

It was a shock going into operations(pkg). You work one day in pkg and realize until you qualify, you do everything to do so.

Really.

So, you didn't qualify on your 1st day ?

Now, my solution? After I made it, I simply never came close to my pkg car until start time. I would bring a book to read to kill time(there were no cell phones) and would even do stretching exercises to get ready. Right in front of the Center. This infuriated my manager and Division Mgr.. Which began a long campaign to get me fired.

Says the guy.... that bought his own 2-wheel dolly.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

*Your posts are amusing. Some of the best fiction, I've ever read.*

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Let them sort it, not your job to tell them to stop, it might end with them telling you that you load bad

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Got to my car after pcm, back door blown out floor to ceiling, which is common the past few weeks. Walk through my neighbor's car and find my handcart in the cab and an enormous irreg jammed between the 1 and 3 shelves, braced against other pkgs, sticking out of the bulkhead. Several irregs beneath it too. I spent ~20 minutes in the yard verifying my air and creating just enough space to open and close the bulkhead and access the air. Front to back the aisle was stacked to the top shelves. Been a while since I had a load that nasty.

Morning was such a travesty come evening I couldn't even find the misload I had reported -- couldn't recall what the pkg looked like haha -- but I could've sworn it was a box. Nope, a small envelope, and only thought to look under bag after my last stop. Center told me to run it, so I punched after 930. But I still would've punched out an hour later with 180 deliveries/365 pieces today than I did with 210/380 yesterday. I was the furniture and car parts delivery guy today. Would've done just as well in a rental honestly.

When you're set up to fail, you take your time.
You guys have pcm?

El Correcto

god is dead
They tell me it makes their day easier but I personally can't see myself doing that. The managers have gotten on to them before for doing that but they didn't listen so they just gave up. The earliest I've seen is some of them coming in at 8:00 a.m. and their start time is 9 a.m.
Doesn’t bother me. I’m not there to keep track of my co workers wrong doings. Personally I’d never do that, I did do it during my qualifying period, only because management allowed it and the union can’t help you qualify.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I can't even begin to describe the ****storm this center is in right now. 9:20 start times for everyone. Unload and both sorts have no clue what they are doing other than to cram, missort and damage everything they touch. Not a single person can write legibly or face an address out. Businesses are dispatched to the worst shelf locations possible. RDO is horrific and therefore the shelf load locations make no sense. Add-cuts every. single. day. Computers now are spitting out bad addresses, closed businesses, and futures faster than ever. Not a single bulk stop get's redirected to a cart no matter the size.

It would be a damn miracle, if I could just walk out, pick up a box, put the box into a car, and repeat without any interruptions.
I’ve been seeing a lot of bad slaps as well. All prioritizing one address but have shipping labels with actual addresses on them.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Yep and most here use it like that. They skip their unpaid lunch and just use their two paid 15min breaks.
That’s why when you achieve true 8 hour dispatch status, it’s so damn sweet. 1/2 hour break at 11, lunch at 1:30, 2 hours of pickups 1 hour of deliveries left. Absolute gravy!!!
Edit: I replied to the wrong 542 reply, so this sh** looks totally out of context 😂