What else can they do torture us?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Update: They aren't enforcing this after all, as of yet anyway. In the past I have found posting about their ridiculous antics here to be an effective way to communicate with them. Maybe it worked this time too.

The whole thing was an over-reaction by someone, somewhere, who knows nothing about running a company or managing people. They are freaked because we had 7 tiers 3s in a very short time period, like six weeks. Not my center but district wide I think. Of course it must be because of in cab distractions, so now the on cars are doing nothing but following drivers.

Sorry guys, for airing your dirty panties here, but you are so unavailable and things are so ridiculous you leave me no choice.

These are reactions by ppl in panic mode who don't want to face the truth. Like firing off warning letters and suspensions in rapid succession. They want to blame us hourlies and lower level management for the fall out from the crap they've pulled.

I've posted about this in the past. Perhaps someone is listening now?

You can't just overhaul the way you manage an entire company on a whim, because some stupid plan seems to be working for a center manager in Georgia. Do a little research. Something like 80% of "re-toolings" like this fail.

You press down hard enough, long enough on anything and it will eventually crack. The accidents and other failures are a direct result of pressure, of an insane attempt to control what should simply be managed. You are trying to control everything, it's having devastating consequences, keep it up and eventually you will ruin it completely.

The overhaul needs to start at the top.

Capiche?
hubrat,

I understand your feelings but I diagree.

Leaders who oppress, intimidate, harass and hurt never start the type of overhaul you are talking about.

Individuals sacrificially united for justice, freedom from oppression and joined in the pursuit of righteous happiness, not personal profit is what instigates change in a society.

This type of revival of the community spirit and care is what is needed to start the overhaul.

This should start with Union Leaders fighting the oppression with Integrity and not against him, whatever the cost.

Sincerely,
I

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Uh, I mean the overhaul needs to start WITH the top.

hubrat,

I understand your feelings but I diagree.

Leaders who oppress, intimidate, harass and hurt never start the type of overhaul you are talking about.

Individuals sacrificially united for justice, freedom from oppression and joined in the pursuit of righteous happiness, not personal profit is what instigates change in a society.

This type of revival of the community spirit and care is what is needed to start the overhaul.

This should start with Union Leaders fighting the oppression with Integrity and not against him, whatever the cost.

Sincerely,
I

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Uh, that's what I'm trying to do here? I'm a writer not a talker. Y'all gon haf to hep me out.

hubrat,

Again I state.

The top doesn't change until the people, in this case the rank and file, stand up against oppression and fight for change.

Sincerely,
I

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Update: They aren't enforcing this after all, as of yet anyway. In the past I have found posting about their ridiculous antics here to be an effective way to communicate with them. Maybe it worked this time too.
Nope, our center manager gave us the "in-cab distraction" lecture this morning. Cups, radios, towels, phones, etc.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Our center manager mentioned in our PCM that we can take a drink whenever we are stopped at an intersection or stopped making a delivery. He just stressed that he doesn't want us drinking will driving down the road, because we would be driving with one hand and our eyes wouldn't be on the road.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our center manager mentioned in our PCM that we can take a drink whenever we are stopped at an intersection or stopped making a delivery. He just stressed that he doesn't want us drinking will driving down the road, because we would be driving with one hand and our eyes wouldn't be on the road.

Now, that is reasonable.

CharleyHustle

What about shifting a manual transmission? Thats a boat load of one handed driving. Just like the shifter and the clutch, the water cup is in the same place everyday and you don't have to look at it to take a drink.

wornoutupser

I was told a while back that a Cocoa,FL driver was written up by a DM on an observation for wiping his face with a towel. The "charge" was only having one hand on the steering wheel.
The driver filed a greivance that stated that he could not longer shift gears, turn on the wipers,headlights or defroster because this takes a hand off the wheel. The action against him was dropped.

You gotta fight this crap.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The real demoralization would have to belong to the low-level management puppet who is being forced by his corporate masters to stand there at the PCM and keep a straight face while reading this sort of drivel to his employees. You might as well make the poor schmuck wear a clown suit. How can the company possibly expect its drivers to take such a rule...or the puppet who has to enforce it.... seriously?

How about doing the PcM about incab water distractions while wearing a clown suite and using a hula hoop as a jump rope with a bag full of jampops. Don't forget t take your dummy lunch. Can you use a jampop for hydration??

Backlasher

I'm starting my own business tday. I'm going to be a sup contractor and my product will provide for jampop's with more flavor selections to choose, more cost effective and frees up managers for more important things like fixing trace and dispatch. New jampop color selection will be brown and gold having 2 flavors in 1. It will fit in the empty cup holder of your cab.

Backlasher

I was told a while back that a Cocoa,FL driver was written up by a DM on an observation for wiping his face with a towel. The "charge" was only having one hand on the steering wheel.
The driver filed a greivance that stated that he could not longer shift gears, turn on the wipers,headlights or defroster because this takes a hand off the wheel. The action against him was dropped.

You gotta fight this crap.

What if a DM observed a driver making a turn while instantly sneezing. Could he give him a jampop for driving with his eyes closed? I'm a theoretical kinda man.

Anyone ever happen to have a violent sneeze come on you while driven a ups truck around a turn. I have and didn't enjoy that at all. Always expect the unexpected.

They have been sending safety messages over the shiftcoms during the workday. I like the one that warns of in cab distractions......like a message on a shiftcom that you have to take your eyes off the road to read.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
They have been sending safety messages over the shiftcoms during the workday. I like the one that warns of in cab distractions......like a message on a shiftcom that you have to take your eyes off the road to read.

I have suggested many times that they (a) cut down on the overall number of DIAD messages that they send out and (b) program the equipment so that the green light on the DIAD will flash if it is an urgent message for you vs. a solid green if its just a generic "all-page" for everybody.

On more than one occasion I have pulled the car (towing a pup trailer) over by the side of the highway to respond to a DIAD message that turned out to be meaningless drivel. Seems like a pretty big "in cab distraction" to me.

bigblu 2 you

To be fair, he probably could have waited until he came to a safe stop before wiping his face.
thats not "'FAIR,"thats foolish.in the real world a driver wipes sweat out of their eyes when it happens,not when it is convenient for the company.what if dirt blows in your eyes or a bee lands on your neck,etc.i dont make a habit of driving one handed,but if i need to use one for something important i think i can do it safely and then get back to the 10-2 position.what has this company evolved into?micro managed to the power or 10.and worse than that some of us buy into it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

thats not "'FAIR,"thats foolish.in the real world a driver wipes sweat out of their eyes when it happens,not when it is convenient for the company.what if dirt blows in your eyes or a bee lands on your neck,etc.i dont make a habit of driving one handed,but if i need to use one for something important i think i can do it safely and then get back to the 10-2 position.what has this company evolved into?micro managed to the power or 10.and worse than that some of us buy into it.

You don't have stop lights? You don't wait in traffic? These are perfect times to wipe your face or take a drink.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You don't have stop lights? You don't wait in traffic? These are perfect times to wipe your face or take a drink.

And if thats what the company was also saying, I dont think I would have a problem with it.

What the company is saying, according to the OP, is that you cant even keep your water or your Big Gulp in the cup holder any longer, nor can you have a sweat rag or wet towel in the cab. Some idiot in a cubicle with too much authority and too few brains had himself a bright idea and wrote a memo, and those of us in the real world get to bear the brunt of his incompetence.

Once again, the company swats flies with a sledgehammer and then wonders why the walls are full of holes.