What happens if minimum wage goes up?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
So here's a thought, stop wage increases for top scale in low cost states and put those savings towards increasing part time wages in high cost states. Who's behind me.

Yeah, the drivers in bumble freak Missouri would take a pay cut to increase the pay of the pt kids in California. Let me know how that works for you.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm a driver going into my 20th peak and it's never made sense to me.

You can mostly blame part timers who voted in the split rates with new part timers making less in 1982. UPS sold that contract with a bonus to get the part timer vote. Those people went for the quick easy money and not how it would screw over part timers in the future.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Yeah, the drivers in bumble freak Missouri would take a pay cut to increase the pay of the pt kids in California. Let me know how that works for you.
Not a pay cut, but a wage freeze. After all isn't one of the goals of the Union to placate wage equality. So the question is rather or not you feel that wage equality should take cost of living into consideration. On this forum there are arguments in regards to our tattoo policy, despite that it being clearly in place for many years. We want to change that policy despite our full knowledge of it, so why wouldn't we be capable of changing the pay structure.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
so why wouldn't we be capable of changing the pay structure.

UPS and the teamsters don't seem to be capable of too much. Now, with that being said, why should I, who lives in a "cheaper" state, give up MY money because someone who lives in a more costly state wants more money without going FT?

Answer: I shouldn't, and more importantly would NEVER agree to that, and neither would most other FT employees.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
UPS and the teamsters don't seem to be capable of too much. Now, with that being said, why should I, who lives in a "cheaper" state, give up MY money because someone who lives in a more costly state wants more money without going FT?

Answer: I shouldn't, and more importantly would NEVER agree to that, and neither would most other FT employees.
That's my point, we knew ahead of time so why complain now. Well why isn't that what we say in regards to the tattoo policy, or long hours or no AC. Or is that different?

Overpaid Union Thug

The problem at UPS isn't minimum wage. It's apathy at contract time. We have part timers that hardly vote at all and full timers that will vote yes on a contract because it has rsises and pension increases even if the rest of the contract is crap.

As for part timers getting a better wage..... I wouldn't mind a freeze on full-time wages for a while to allow them to get more. I even suggested it at the contract proposal meeting. But to suggest only low cost areas take a freeze is ridiculous. It would have to be all or none.

Plus, I'm tired of these loads I'm seeing in my trucks and when the preload opens another trailer to unload. Maybe better pay would help solve that issue.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I agree with you, but I have read that employers are now having employees asking for less hours because the raise makes them ineligible for their entitlement benefits, due to their higher earnings.
Those benefits should be temporary.

We need to start weening people off government dependency.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Hmm. What's the Minimum wage for a Call Girl? What the industry will demand or a governmet-mandated #....I know...Prostitution is illegal, but it persists.

Anthonysg0113

PT wages have been stagnant for over 30 years while FT wages have tripled including FT car washers and porters (janitor). I didn't realize mopping the floor and dumping trash cans and cleaning toilets was a skilled job demanding $32/hr plus full benefits and a pension.
Only at UPS my friend! [emoji6]

Shonuff

UPS can absolutely afford to keep all their workers and pay the $15/hour if minimum wage was raised. The company always operates in the black and the only reason why the corporation does the nickel and dime on all its part-time workers is because of corporate greed and to fulfill the satisfaction of our stock holders. UPS should have never went public in my opinion because now the goals they pass down are so ridiculous. The company wants to grow too fast over a short period of time, so in addition to the cr@ppy wage that is offered to desperate workers loading trucks and doing the dirty work, the company dangles tuition credit to lure the young workers, and decent medical benefits for the older crowd who has to take on a second job to get benefits or just to keep up with the economy. Meanwhile, corporate suits are lining up their pockets with bonuses that came from the hard work and sweat of people doing the real work. And then they have the nerve to take away more and more from each contract negotiation with the teamsters.

Lets do the math and see that an extra $3/hour is more than feasible.

# of US employees as of 2014: 354,000 (not all of these workers work for the measly wages in a HUB but lets use the whole number just for fun.

354,000 x $3 = $1.06 million/hour

$1.06 million x 40 hours = $42.48 million/week

$42.48 million x 52 weeks = $2.20 billion per year extra expense for UPS.

2014 Net Income = $3.03 billion

UPS would still have close to $1 billion AFTER all expenses are paid. It would probably be a lot more because like I said, we used the 354,000 employees statistic which is an incredible over estimation of workers that would get the $3/hour raise.

Anyway, my point is that our union needs to negotiate better terms for the warehouse workers because UPS can definitely afford to share the wealth!

*Sources: http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ups/financials
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/about/facts/worldwide.html

PT Car Washer

Also having a dedicated and experienced PT workforce instead of "I wonder how many won't show up today" would pay for themselves in a short period. Many managers wish UPS would go to a $15/hr starting wage just to improve on the quality of the workforce.

Anthonysg0113

$15 an hour starting wage at UPS would be great, but it going up across the board would be disastrous. These companies aren't going to eat that cost, they are going to pass it on through the price of goods and services. Most of its highway robbery now anyway. I'm not saying some hardworking person doesn't deserve higher wages, but education that higher paying jobs exist.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The NY wage didn't go up, yet , and it will be phased in over time.

Invest in companies making robots and machines that make, prepare, and serve food. It will be the future. Companies always adapt to survive. These jobs will get replaced by technology.

Years back, part timer's made a whole lot more money. No one left the job and you had to really bust it to make book.

Last edited:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I like the minimum wage.

It should be higher.

But, you must think the USA should do away with the minimum wage.

Fifty cents an hour for those with minimum skill, minimum education, hell, they are just lucky anyone would hire them at all.

UPSGUY72

I like the minimum wage.

It should be higher.

But, you must think the USA should do away with the minimum wage.

Fifty cents an hour for those with minimum skill, minimum education, hell, they are just lucky anyone would hire them at all.

What ever minimum wage is it's still going to be minimum wage eventually wages across the board are going to go up and then prices for goods and services. Then those people making a $15 minimum wage are going to be in the same or worse situation then they were before.

Also look what's going on in Seattle some people that are getting raises on the way to $15 are telling there bosses that they don't want the raises because it's making them lose public assistance. these people want free money they don't want to have to work for it and if they do they don't want to work to hard for it.