What happens if minimum wage goes up?

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
UPS would pay the new state minimum wage. The employee wouldn't get a raise until they eventually received a raise "beyond" $15/hr.

I can tell you right now that UPS absolutely could not staff buildings if the minimum wage went up to $15/hour. The turn over in the south right now (with a $7.25/hr min wage in my state) is obscene even with $10/hr starting. Every sort in my hub is down 30+ people and UPS is to blame. While IBT didn't get much (if anything) for PT'ers during the negotiations for the current NMA, the union did initially propose a starting wage of $15/hr for PT'ers and UPS whittled it down to $10 and still make new hires wait a year for benefits.

The minimum wage needs to be hiked and should be tied to inflation. $15/hr would be a "decent" start but its still not a living wage. Even if Obama's (slap in the face) $10.10/hr proposal goes through, it will completely smash UPS' current staffing model for PT'ers. If I was a high school graduate, why the :censored2: would I bust my nuts loading a truck for minimum wage with an idiot my own age screaming at me for only 3.5 hours of pay a day? I'd rather go flip burgers for 30-35 hours a week and get some free grub in the AC instead.

I'm just waiting for the bottom to completely fall out so year-round double shifts return to my building. If they can't keep bodies in the hub, I'll happily load a truck for $26/hour when I go over 5 hours.

:laughing:
WOW! PT must suck? I would not get out of bed for $26 an hour,much less put on browns.

What ever minimum wage is it's still going to be minimum wage eventually wages across the board are going to go up and then prices for goods and services. Then those people making a $15 minimum wage are going to be in the same or worse situation then they were before.

Also look what's going on in Seattle some people that are getting raises on the way to $15 are telling there bosses that they don't want the raises because it's making them lose public assistance. these people want free money they don't want to have to work for it and if they do they don't want to work to hard for it.
And you know this as a fact? Or is this something you heard on the internet? Or fox news.

UPSGUY72

I make $30 plus and work about 52 hours a week. I think PT employees should make,at least,$15 an hour.Probably more.

If I started out making $15 as a PT employee and news I was going to get the same raises as a FT person I would never go FT. That being said UPS would have to raise the pay of FT employees even more.

Not matter what minimum wage is it's still going to be minimum wage. PRices for goods and services are going to go up eventually.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you can't live on 15 bucks an hour you need to reevaluate your expenses.

15 bucks an hour is fine if you live in your parents basement or share an apartment with 3 other single slobs (providing they also contribute to the expenses). Trying to raise a family on 15 an hour would suck.

UPSGUY72

15 bucks an hour is fine if you live in your parents basement or share an apartment with 3 other single slobs (providing they also contribute to the expenses). Trying to raise a family on 15 an hour would suck.

PT jobs aren't met to raise a Family on no matter how much they pay. IF you can't live on a PT job you either need to find another PT job or a FT job to go along with that PT time job.

When I started at UPS as a PTimer I also work a FT job that was 4 10 hr days.

JL 0513

Yes you would.

I think it depends for some people and what other possible prospects they have. Some say, yeah, we'd do this job for like $25/hr. No doubt many would and UPS could always find someone off the street to do the job. Yet, at the same time how many of us say that we only continue driving because of the money? The big money keeps us from mentally burning out of this job. It keeps your spirits as high as they could be with what we deal with. Fedex has a turnover rate. When was the last time you saw a driver just quit UPS for no other reason but not wanting to do the job anymore? I've never seen it happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think it depends for some people and what other possible prospects they have. Some say, yeah, we'd do this job for like $25/hr. No doubt many would and UPS could always find someone off the street to do the job. Yet, at the same time how many of us say that we only continue driving because of the money? The big money keeps us from mentally burning out of this job. It keeps your spirits as high as they could be with what we deal with. Fedex has a turnover rate. When was the last time you saw a driver just quit UPS for no other reason but not wanting to do the job anymore? I've never seen it happen.

I heard that we had a driver quit in Friday.

TUT

1. Should people work to make ends not meet? Meaning get paid for full time and still can support themselves? I think any 40 hour job should pay for all the basics for that one person, otherwise it is job fail, the whole point missed.

2. If minimums go up, yes it gets them closer to others, certainly. Be happy for them instead of feeling petty. Say a $9 job vs a $12 jog today, both get bumped to $15. But if $12 is really a higher grade job, that will become $18 soon enough. As for union contracts... something to fight for next time.

3. Look up a company called Gravity. The CEO set 70k as the companies new minimum. Some people got 40k raises. However some people that were at 70k were upset that others now made what they did and were angry and some quit. Don't ever be that person, be happy for them, your life was not affected.

4. I've had the same idea happen to me, where everyone got bumped up to a nice min. salary and got a lot closer to where I was at. Feel really happy for them and I didn't lose a penny and still living the same life.

5. And remember... While the Middle Class worries about Lower Class programs, I'm going to park my boat in my boat. Sucka's! Not me really, but the point is if you want to worry about someone worry about the Beellionairs, not the less unfortunate under you.

JL 0513

1. Should people work to make ends not meet? Meaning get paid for full time and still can support themselves? I think any 40 hour job should pay for all the basics for that one person, otherwise it is job fail, the whole point missed.

2. If minimums go up, yes it gets them closer to others, certainly. Be happy for them instead of feeling petty. Say a $9 job vs a $12 jog today, both get bumped to $15. But if $12 is really a higher grade job, that will become $18 soon enough. As for union contracts... something to fight for next time.

3. Look up a company called Gravity. The CEO set 70k as the companies new minimum. Some people got 40k raises. However some people that were at 70k were upset that others now made what they did and were angry and some quit. Don't ever be that person, be happy for them, your life was not affected.

4. I've had the same idea happen to me, where everyone got bumped up to a nice min. salary and got a lot closer to where I was at. Feel really happy for them and I didn't lose a penny and still living the same life.

5. And remember... While the Middle Class worries about Lower Class programs, I'm going to park my boat in my boat. Sucka's! Not me really, but the point is if you want to worry about someone worry about the Beellionairs, not the less unfortunate under you.

Being upset about lower people suddenly being equalized to you is a legitimate grievance. There was obviously a reason for the range of wages.

Would it seem right if new drivers were top rate on day 1? It's something that needs to be earned. As it is, it's unusual for a job to be "top rate" by your 3rd or 4th year.

It's not about being mad at the people below you suddenly making the same as you. It's the slap in the face that you worked for years to progress and now some new guy just cut in line.

An analogy is passing amnesty and the people who spent years going through proper legal immigration and spending thousands to become citizens. Legal immigrants become furious at the idea of sweeping amnesty allowing people who broke the law by entering this country and now are rewarded a free stay.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
PT jobs aren't met to raise a Family on no matter how much they pay. IF you can't live on a PT job you either need to find another PT job or a FT job to go along with that PT time job.

When I started at UPS as a PTimer I also work a FT job that was 4 10 hr days.

Amen, brother!! You want to raise a family on $15 an hour, but MAYBE 20 hours per week? Not going to happen.

When I was PT, I, like many coworkers had a full time job to pay my bills, and had UPS for benefits, extra cash, and a brighter future.

I stuck it out, got paid, and now am a CDL holding feeder driver.

Get out of mommies basement and try to improve yohr situation, don't wait for people to throw money at you and then get mad when they don't

Last edited: