What is the life expectancy of an Internatioal horn button?

Big Babooba

It seems like mine needs to be replaced about every 3 weeks. My mechanic says tat they are a flimsy POS. I think that International planned it that way all along.

As heard at the Navistar International offices:

"Perkins, Get In Here!"
"What boss?"
"How can you sell UPS all those trucks at twenty dollars each?"
"It's simple. We practically give them the trucks to get their business. And then we're gonna make a killing on all the horn buttons we're gonna sell them!".

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
My car is a '96, and the horn worked fine until about a year ago. Then it stopped working only when the steering wheel was in a particular orientation, i.e., when the "spokes" were pointing vertically. When they finally replaced the horn after I had written it up four times over two months, it worked great until last week, now it is starting to do the same thing again. So the life expectancy is either 12 years or 3 months, depending on how you look at it...

overallowed

It seems like mine needs to be replaced about every 3 weeks. My mechanic says tat they are a flimsy POS. I think that International planned it that way all along.

"Perkins, Get In Here!"
"What boss?"
"It's simple. We practically give them the trucks to get their business. And then we're gonna make a killing on all the horn buttons we're gonna sell them!".
Don't forget about the engines. I once had an engine go out on me, car gone to local International dealer for week and a half. 2nd day after it gets back, driving down interstate about 65 mph and a big BANG, stopped and raised hood. Oil everywhere. Rod sticking through the block.
Nice.
Horn doesn't last more than a few days unless you don't use it.
Lemons.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Don't forget about the engines. I once had an engine go out on me, car gone to local International dealer for week and a half. 2nd day after it gets back, driving down interstate about 65 mph and a big BANG, stopped and raised hood. Oil everywhere. Rod sticking through the block.
Nice.
Horn doesn't last more than a few days unless you don't use it.
Lemons.

Early on in my career I had an early 60's vintage P-600 with the Ford 300 cubic-inch straight 6 motor in it. The thing had about a million miles on it...one day it just gave up and threw a rod. It got towed back in...and they put a fresh motor in it and I got it back the next day. No joke, back then in the auto shop they had rebuilt motors sitting on pallets, ready to go ,and the mechanic could bolt one on in about 5 or 6 hours max. Nowadays about all they do is oil changes and basic maintainence, anything major gets sent away and the truck is gone for weeks.

satellitedriver

"Perkins, Get In Here!"
"What boss?"

Good thing I still drive a 1988 P5.:happy2:
It must be hell driving a new pkg car.
All that power steering , automatic transmission, 3 point seat belt and a flimsy horn to worry about.
After 800,000 miles, my horn must be still working well, because people still yell out their car windows,
"The horn blows, does the driver?:surprised:"

wornoutupser

Big,
I have seen it go both ways.
I have had horn buttons replaced that did not work the next day and I have had some last a year.
They seem to go in batches when they go bad.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
When will we get AIR HORNS for the feeders,so we can be real truckers !!! its
embarrassing when little kids or hot cougar moms tug their arms at us & all we can do is toot that faggy little horn we got !!!

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
embarrassing when little kids or hot cougar moms tug their arms at us & all we can do is toot that faggy little horn we got !!!

I improved the horn on my Sterling. I found two old horns at the junk yard, and asked my mechanic to install them near the bumper. So now I have 3 horns under the hood, and everybody knows my tractor when I hit the horn.

over9five

Staff member

Agree!

Two Peaks ago, I had one of those white rental tractors. Had an air horn which I used a lot!!!

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Agree!

Two Peaks ago, I had one of those white rental tractors. Had an air horn which I used a lot!!!
Yep . . .I did the same thing when I was in a rental. Blew that rightous air horn every chance I could. Went through the Ft. McHenry tunnel with the horn blastin scaring the living s_*t out of everyone:funny: What would we do without life's simple pleasures?:wink2:

I heard that when new tractors come in , the shop removes the air horns because they are startling to other drivers. Just what I heard, not sure how true it is.

Might be true though - we had new tractors come in 2 years ago with engines brakes and the shop removed them because they don't want us using engine breaks. Gay if you asked me.

City Driver

that made me laugh pretty hard

i know ive hopped in more then one of the tractors in our yard, going around the corner i use the street corn and it goes

toot toot

:angry:

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Yep . . .I did the same thing when I was in a rental. Blew that rightous air horn every chance I could. Went through the Ft. McHenry tunnel with the horn blastin scaring the living s_*t out of everyone:funny: What would we do without life's simple pleasures?:wink2:

I heard that when new tractors come in , the shop removes the air horns because they are startling to other drivers. Just what I heard, not sure how true it is. Tractors come through here without air horns, they are ordered that way.

Might be true though - we had new tractors come in 2 years ago with engines brakes and the shop removed them because they don't want us using engine breaks. Gay if you asked me.
We still have a couple of older CH600's with jake brakes, they were never disabled

City Driver

i love jake brakes and air horns, the louder the better

i also love turning my eric clapton and jimi hendrix up to full volume, im a rolling ear infection