What Should We Do If Fred Wins?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Me three. You'd last about one shift and head home crying.

Me four. You lasted 4 years, went home, and haven't stopped crying since!

MrFedEx said:
I monitor this site several times a day, and typically respond via mobile technology while waiting for a customer to get ready, on 28/29 or during my lunch. My usual reply takes me about a minute or two, and it doesn't disrupt my day or my productivity. Like I said, I'm a 7.0 employee

That's the funniest excuse I've read on any discussion board in a long, long time. Not that I believe his story, but it takes true dedication for a 7.0 employee to monitor the site while at work so he can post how much he hates his job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Me four. You lasted 4 years, went home, and haven't stopped crying since!

That's the funniest excuse I've read on any discussion board in a long, long time. Not that I believe his story, but it takes true dedication for a 7.0 employee to monitor the site while at work so he can post how much he hates his job.

You clearly don't understand UPS. When I was a feeder temp, the seniority needed to hold a feeder job was about 20 years. I would have had to throw boxes in the center at night for several years just to get into a pkg car. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford that. FedEx hired me off the street and I was a FT RTD within a month because most of their drivers couldn't stop running into things.

Like I said, UPS liked me and I liked them. It was simply a question of survival.

I monitor this site during my breaks and time spent waiting for customers. If I've got the time, I'll allow a shipper a few extra minutes if they are running behind and it doesn't affect the rest of my customers or my getting back on time. It's good for the customer and FedEx. I scan the posts, reply in less than a minute, and I'm on my way. No harm, no foul. Fred has always gotten his money's worth out of me as an employee.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You clearly don't understand UPS. When I was a feeder temp, the seniority needed to hold a feeder job was about 20 years. I would have had to throw boxes in the center at night for several years just to get into a pkg car. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford that. FedEx hired me off the street and I was a FT RTD within a month because most of their drivers couldn't stop running into things.

Like I said, UPS liked me and I liked them. It was simply a question of survival.

Odd, that. When someone is that darn good, the employer finds a way to keep them around. Anyhoodle...

I monitor this site during my breaks and time spent waiting for customers. If I've got the time, I'll allow a shipper a few extra minutes if they are running behind and it doesn't affect the rest of my customers or my getting back on time. It's good for the customer and FedEx. I scan the posts, reply in less than a minute, and I'm on my way. No harm, no foul. Fred has always gotten his money's worth out of me as an employee.

Sounds like you're obsessed with BC. Could you please drop the habit of saying "Fred" each and every time you make reference to the company? You sound like those morons who can't adress any issue without babbling "Bush Bush Bush" (2001-2009) or "Obama Obama Obama" (2009-now).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Odd, that. When someone is that darn good, the employer finds a way to keep them around. Anyhoodle...

Sounds like you're obsessed with BC. Could you please drop the habit of saying "Fred" each and every time you make reference to the company? You sound like those morons who can't adress any issue without babbling "Bush Bush Bush" (2001-2009) or "Obama Obama Obama" (2009-now).

"Fred" is the face of FedEx. Even though the company is public, Smith runs the show so the 2 are basically interchangable. My deal when I worked for UPS was that I wanted to drive semis. 20 years is a long time to wait just to drive a big rig. Like I said, I needed full-time work because I had a family. In retrospect, it would have been better to stay with UPS, but Federal Express and FedEx are very different animals. It's like comparing zebras and hippos...there isn't much in the way of similarities. Tell Maury I said hi, OK?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I disagree.I am paid fairly in my opinion to drive around and deliver envelopes.I go home most days happy and stress free.On my bad days I go fishing.

Then you are probably an "exception to the rule". I seriously doubt that many Express employees share your care-free existence.

LTFedExer

I disagree.I am paid fairly in my opinion to drive around and deliver envelopes.I go home most days happy and stress free.On my bad days I go fishing.

Then you are probably an "exception to the rule". I seriously doubt that many Express employees share your care-free existence.
I don't like fishing, but I go ride my bike or head to the reservoir for a swim on the few bad days I do have.

MFE, Other than UPS, what other company are you comparing us to, to say we are grossly underpaid?

vantexan

I don't like fishing, but I go ride my bike or head to the reservoir for a swim on the few bad days I do have.

MFE, Other than UPS, what other company are you comparing us to, to say we are grossly underpaid?

The only other true comparison is the Post Office, which pays better with better benefits. And while you are happy with your top pay, do you think mid-range employees should feel the same way? We are expected to settle for considerably less than what you've gotten or are getting. Why not have a set schedule to reach top pay that is reasonable rather than stringing us along forever?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Many, but the main valid comparison would be UPS. What is it going to take for you to understand that the reason your pay is low relative to the competition,( and that it takes 20 years to get there), is due to the RLA deal. If we topped-out in 3 years, were within a couple bucks of UPS, and had a real retirement plan, then I wouldn't have much to bitch about.

But none of that is going to happen unless we force the issue. I'm glad that you're happy with what you're getting, but I'm looking for a bit more. If we could vote station by station, then you and the others who think like you do can be happy non-union employees forever if you'd like. We'd make about 3 or 4 bucks an hour more at my station, and also top-out in 3 years, while you continued to live and work in pure bliss. Go for it!!

LTFedExer

The only other true comparison is the Post Office, which pays better with better benefits. And while you are happy with your top pay, do you think mid-range employees should feel the same way? We are expected to settle for considerably less than what you've gotten or are getting. Why not have a set schedule to reach top pay that is reasonable rather than stringing us along forever?
I've said it before. I don't think we are underpaid, I think UPS drivers are overpaid. USPS is SLIGHTLY better paywise and government employees have always had better benefits.
Many, but the main valid comparison would be UPS. What is it going to take for you to understand that the reason your pay is low relative to the competition,( and that it takes 20 years to get there), is due to the RLA deal. If we topped-out in 3 years, were within a couple bucks of UPS, and had a real retirement plan, then I wouldn't have much to bitch about.

But none of that is going to happen unless we force the issue. I'm glad that you're happy with what you're getting, but I'm looking for a bit more. If we could vote station by station, then you and the others who think like you do can be happy non-union employees forever if you'd like. We'd make about 3 or 4 bucks an hour more at my station, and also top-out in 3 years, while you continued to live and work in pure bliss. Go for it!!
So all your bitching and moaning is for $5000/year? I thought you were retiring and doing this for the future retirees/workers of FedEx? I don't rely only on my pension for my retirement, that would be stupid. My 401K is more important than any pension fund.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've said it before. I don't think we are underpaid, I think UPS drivers are overpaid. USPS is SLIGHTLY better paywise and government employees have always had better benefits.

So all your bitching and moaning is for $5000/year? I thought you were retiring and doing this for the future retirees/workers of FedEx? I don't rely only on my pension for my retirement, that would be stupid. My 401K is more important than any pension fund.

OK, so you're clueless. If you think a UPS driver is overpaid, just ask one after an average day. Hope you've got a good dentist.

Last edited:

vantexan

If they topped us out after 10 years, and adjusted my lowest payscale top-out to $24hr, on 40 hrs a week I'd go up over $14k a year.

As to your pension, let's say you got the traditional pension at 55, and it's worth $22k a year, and you lived 30 more years. That's $660k. Don't think you can count on it being there? When you take your pension the company buys an annuity in your name. You'll get your money. If the time ever comes that insurance companies can't pay then we are all screwed anyways. As for your 401k if you can fully fund it and get a good return annually good for you. Most of us can't fully fund it, and good returns are sporadic. But what does it matter, there are going to be alot of couriers working into their late 60's because we don't get enough to retire at 55, or even 62.

DS

Fenderbender
What's different about their job? You say it's 'same job, different trucks'. I think my job is a piece of cake.
LT for the veteran ups driver,this may be true.For the ones that work 2 1/2 years to slowly get to top rate,it can be hell.
Have you ever had a truck so full that the back door needs to be forcibly shut,and you have 100 deliveries,a pickup log that starts at 2:30,
and oncall pickups constantly ?I have been in the same area 20 years in Toronto,and when I go on vaca, it takes 1 1/2 me's to get it done.
Its not the same job.

vantexan

LT for the veteran ups driver,this may be true.For the ones that work 2 1/2 years to slowly get to top rate,it can be hell.
Have you ever had a truck so full that the back door needs to be forcibly shut,and you have 100 deliveries,a pickup log that starts at 2:30,
and oncall pickups constantly ?I have been in the same area 20 years in Toronto,and when I go on vaca, it takes 1 1/2 me's to get it done.
Its not the same job.

I've had similar rts as a FedEx courier. Not a hundred dels daily but often 75-80 plus pups in an area as large as several UPS rts. That included unloading containers in the morning and working the reload that night. With non-stop running in between. Not every FedEx rt is that intense, but then after 2.5 years we are still poorly paid with no end in sight. At least you can take satisfaction in knowing your hard work will provide well for your family. To stay 20 years at FedEx requires real sacrifice on our part, and I think there's a company calculation that many won't stay after years of frustration. Then the company gets to replace them with cheaper workers. And with the new pension plan 20 years won't accumulate much. FedEx can write a check and be free of any future obligation if an employee leaves early. Definitely not the same job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not by a long shot.

Depends on the route, area, and driver's ability. I have repeatedly said that UPS drivers work harder in general. As far as my tagline goes, the jobs are more similar than different. No matter what, you cannot say that a 3 year FedEx courier with a UPS-comparable route making $16 per hr is fairly paid. And there are plenty of FedEx routes where they are covering the area of 4 or 5 UPS drivers. That $16 per hour person will take 20 years to get even close to where the UPS driver is right now. Ridiculous, and equally ridiculous to try and justify the wage disparity.

vantexan

I dont understand what you are saying.I got an extra 300 bucks and i am getting reamed?I am perfectly happy at my easy Fedex job.I am sorry that you are not.

Let's see, no raise last year probably cost you $1300 or more a year. A 2% raise this year means you are now down what? Around $2000 a year? Haven't crunched the numbers, don't know your pay, but probably in the ballpark. But you got a $300 bonus. Good on ya mate! I lost even more than you and got $180.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know a few of the Express drivers and talk with one of them (Paul) almost every day. Paul was very surprised to learn that he had made more in 2009 that I did. Turns out he works almost 60 hours every week, including Saturdays. I rarely get more than 2 hours OT. I was asked to work a Saturday and we talked while waiting for our respective planes to land and I was blown away by how much time he spends at work.

DS hit it on the head--it is not the same job.

LTFedExer

If they topped us out after 10 years, and adjusted my lowest payscale top-out to $24hr, on 40 hrs a week I'd go up over $14k a year.
MFE said 'We'd make about 3 or 4 bucks an hour more at my station', that equates to $5K/year. I agree with the part about taking to long to top out. Though, back when MFE started, they did top out in 2-4 years.
Its not the same job.

I know a few of the Express drivers and talk with one of them (Paul) almost every day. Paul was very surprised to learn that he had made more in 2009 that I did. Turns out he works almost 60 hours every week, including Saturdays. I rarely get more than 2 hours OT. I was asked to work a Saturday and we talked while waiting for our respective planes to land and I was blown away by how much time he spends at work.

DS hit it on the head--it is not the same job.
Not the same job, yet deserve the same pay? I made my point. And DS, yes.....I have had my truck so full I can't close the back door. Though, very few FedEx couriers have had that problem on a normal day. Now, throw some Ground packages (a la UPS) and it would happen more. THAT'S where the difference lies.