What would a typical day/work-week look like for combo driver (22.4)?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I'm trying to get a feel for how a combo driver's day will go?
tenor (30).gif

Brownsocks

Just a dog
It’s not ups’ idea for 22.4 it was our unions idea...
You sure about that? Last year they announced a 10 year plan to take residential deliveries off RPCD and seems like this is a good start. Bang out mondays residential on sat/sun and have 22.4 resi coverage tues thru fri.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
You sure about that? Last year they announced a 10 year plan to take residential deliveries off RPCD and seems like this is a good start. Bang out mondays residential on sat/sun and have 22.4 resi coverage tues thru fri.
It’s what I was told/ read on here earlier. I’m sure Ups had some input in it but my understand is that it was the unions idea. I could be wrong though. Doubt they would come out and say yea it was out idea.. @Tony Q might know.

M

MenInBrown

It’s just astonishing to me that the Union would give all these new jobs 0 protection from excessive abuse, but at the same time want them to support the union and pay dues????? These are the people we have negotiating our contract. Wtf is wrong with this picture?

Brownsocks

Just a dog
It’s just astonishing to me that the Union would give all these new jobs 0 protection from excessive abuse, but at the same time want them to support the union and pay dues????? These are the people we have negotiating our contract. Wtf is wrong with this picture?

I would think the Union wouldn't want to rock that boat given the recent SCOTUS opinion on public sector unions. I foresee a case against private unions next.

Box Ox

I'm trying to get a feel for how a combo driver's day will go?

-Center cuts RPCD routes as heavily as it can, especially on Fridays and Mondays. “Sorry, RPCD. No work is available. Everything left is for 22.4 delivery tomorrow (Saturday) or was delivered yesterday (Sunday).”

-22.4 routes are loaded up heavily to ensure the work doesn’t go to RPCD routes during the week. Which is why they have no protections.

-RPCD folks who need hours because their routes are cut 2 days a week have to work longer hours between Tuesday and Thursday.

Box Ox

I would think the Union wouldn't want to rock that boat given the recent SCOTUS opinion on public sector unions. I foresee a case against private unions next.

If a Union doesn’t advocate and fight for its members, there’s little point to its existence anyway, no?

cachmeifucan

Why would any 22.3 take a 22.4 job the 22.3 already make 30.64 and 34.79 at end of contract. So why would I drive for same money then have a lower wage for inside work. Most current employees who works in the hub would of went driving a long time ago. End part time poverty by creating more 22.3 jobs . How will this language work in new facilities It won't. How many facilities does ups own vs lease they can easily shut down a facility and open a new one most buildings are so out dated.

cachmeifucan

TONY Queen I hereby propose that after aug 1st 2018 union dues capped at 10 $ for part time and full time 20$ a week. Is that formal enough probably not our union is asking for a good contract. Just that we won't get half and worse language. Isn't the point of bargaining collectively to get more money and protection. Ups never followed the contract.

pootnan242

I am a cover driver on the So. Cal. area. To me this contract is ludicrous and only benefits the Full Timers. The so called part timers who work full time hours are getting hosed big time. So what the union is basically saying is that just because we’re classifoas part time employees we basically have no entitlements to full time benefits. So they are discounting the fact we also have families and we also have kids who have baseball games etc on the weekends. We already have no rights to anything and now the union is basically hanging us out to do all of the extra work with absolutely no premium pay for the time the company and the union is going to take away from us and our family, especially this Sunday delivery the company is going to force us to do. I say a big friend.U. to the contract. We’re all supposed to be brothers and sisters in this fight however it seems just as usual the actual hardworking blind route un-bid drivers are getting he short end of the stick and just have to accept it. Please brothers and sisters vote no as the language only supports full time bid drivers.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I am a cover driver on the So. Cal. area. To me this contract is ludicrous and only benefits the Full Timers. The so called part timers who work full time hours are getting hosed big time. So what the union is basically saying is that just because we’re classifoas part time employees we basically have no entitlements to full time benefits. So they are discounting the fact we also have families and we also have kids who have baseball games etc on the weekends. We already have no rights to anything and now the union is basically hanging us out to do all of the extra work with absolutely no premium pay for the time the company and the union is going to take away from us and our family, especially this Sunday delivery the company is going to force us to do. I say a big friend.U. to the contract. We’re all supposed to be brothers and sisters in this fight however it seems just as usual the actual hardworking blind route un-bid drivers are getting he short end of the stick and just have to accept it. Please brothers and sisters vote no as the language only supports full time bid drivers.
The contract doesn't benefit anyone except Ups, full timers aren't getting anything except 70 hour weeks during peak. But I agree with your stance on voting no.

M

MenInBrown

-Center cuts RPCD routes as heavily as it can, especially on Fridays and Mondays. “Sorry, RPCD. No work is available. Everything left is for 22.4 delivery tomorrow (Saturday) or was delivered yesterday (Sunday).”

-22.4 routes are loaded up heavily to ensure the work doesn’t go to RPCD routes during the week. Which is why they have no protections.

-RPCD folks who need hours because their routes are cut 2 days a week have to work longer hours between Tuesday and Thursday.

You better believe they will be holding volume on Friday to deliver Saturday.

It’ll vary by building and center. Some will just do a full route. Some will load trucks then deliver. Some will deliver then work in the building loading trailers or washing cars. At first you prolly won’t work sundays, but that’ll happen soon. On those days you’ll load and deliver. And it’s likely to be different week to week or even day to day. Combo drivers are designed to do bitch work.