Combination Drivers could be working long days.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So basically a CD could get 50+ hours per week....working Wed-Sun....long days…..remember that one and half hour gap between that 10+ hour day.
On the other hand....a RPCD might only get 3 days worth of work.....Wed-Fri.
image.jpg
In New england, taking a W-S job, it'd be 1.5x for all hours worked on Sunday, since I am grandfathered. I also made 1.5x on Sundays, my regular scheduled day, being S-Thu.

That is also 2.25x for Sunday, over 10 hours worked.

I'd be making more than regular package drivers.

YES vote here, without question. :D

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So you don’t see them doing 240 stops and 460 pcs everyday?
There simply isn't enough work during the week to do 240/460, (or whatever " in the red" type numbers) the exception being Saturday and Sunday. I am pretty sure the 22.4's will work inside, generally, during weekdays, then get porked on the weekend.

Doubleparkedrunner

Regular Full Time Drivers complain long enough about being over worked with long EXCESSIVE OT, someone might just listen. This is the solution our union suggested. Although I don’t agree with it (that’s my OT being handed out to a lower qualified driver!) we have to put up with the large rank and file of workers moaning and complaining about TOO much work. Now they moan and complain about this. Which is it? You made your bed. Sleep in it!

there's a big difference between OT and Excessive OT. Mostly, the drivers complain about the latter. Really , all it would take to relieve excessive overtime would be to add one more driver per four or five trucks , depending on the numbers.
Add a driver who takes between 25 and 40 stops off of between 4 and 5 drivers ( depending on city, resi, and country routes ) and you should solve the problem.

If UPS truly was doing this just for relieving excessive OT then this is the easy fix.

john chesney

Regular Full Time Drivers complain long enough about being over worked with long EXCESSIVE OT, someone might just listen. This is the solution our union suggested. Although I don’t agree with it (that’s my OT being handed out to a lower qualified driver!) we have to put up with the large rank and file of workers moaning and complaining about TOO much work. Now they moan and complain about this. Which is it? You made your bed. Sleep in it!
Just because the union proposed it doesn’t mean it was their idea. Lots of behind the scenes stuff we’ll never know about goes on

Froome

image.jpg

Combination drivers (CD) are not being given "9.5 protection"

I can see a CD coming in at 8AM, delivering EAM and then NDA and ground, working until 1PM....five hours. Then taking the 1.5 hour "down time" (gap)
Then back to work at 2:30pm....helping out struggling drivers, then it is on to pickups.
Back to the building at say around 7:30pm....another five hours.
So basically a ten hour day between 8am and 7:30pm.....at a lower pay rate to boot!
If you read the proposed language at least they are getting the 8 hr 5day pay. Regular drivers language states 8 hrs a day, 5 days....if there is work.

Froome

This is just the first step in making sure new full tome drivers NEVER see full pay and get worked so hard they get injured or quit allowing UPS to hire at lower pay again and again. Some people may want lots of overtime but that should be on a case by case basis, so not everyone one gets hammered.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Saturday I saw a driver out delivering at 8:15pm. I live in kind of a rural area, about 30-35 minutes from the center he works out of. I thought to myself, that would be the hybrid driver of the future, making a lower rate, and maxed out on stops, every weekend.

Froome

I haven't seen much of the new proposed contract except for what UPS put out and they are only showing us what they think are the benefits to us. If they think this part is good, what don't they want us to see?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I was hired back in may 2018 to be a Tuesday thru Saturday driver so does the new contract language state that al drivers tues thru sat will go back to mon thru fri is that correct
if so that woud be great anyone have any insight or info on that
They have up to 2 years (2020)to switch youback to m-friend. In that time you would have been able to bid a m-friend route. Its really just lip service

KoennenTiger

I see you guys complaining about this but before I got to go full time I was a utility TCD driver with no progression who would regularly cover routes for guys who went feeder but didn't have a feeder route or they would send me on splits with 240 resi stops throughout 3 counties getting 180 miles and working 12s. Every day.

Afaic at least now these guys will be on the combo progression.

Oh and real news the full timers were still getting :censored2: on with their so hard 10 hour days. None of them were losing their jobs. Took me a long time to realize why they called me a utilabuse driver. I was just happy to not be working a second job after preload. At least I was getting overtime for my 12 hour days.

M

MenInBrown

If you read the proposed language at least they are getting the 8 hr 5day pay. Regular drivers language states 8 hrs a day, 5 days....if there is work.

They put that in there bc on Monday and Tuesday half of the RPCDs will be laid off.

With that being said, with the language the way it is now, would those RPCDs have first dibs on Saturday and Sunday?