What would it take for you to jump ship? Realistically

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
This question pertains to drivers with no more than 10 years seniority. Assuming most of us having no higher education or any real back up plan, how would you go about getting out?

Personally, sometimes I feel so trapped in this job. The good pay, job security, and benefits I’m very grateful for. But I sometimes ask myself if I am willing to be married to this job and location for another 20 years.

A friend of a friend offered me a job working on an oil rig that pays at least 2x what we make. Would have to move the wife and kids half way across the country. Not looking for advice here, just wondering what deal would you take to move on?

El Correcto

god is dead
This question pertains to drivers with no more than 10 years seniority. Assuming most of us having no higher education or any real back up plan, how would you go about getting out?

Personally, sometimes I feel so trapped in this job. The good pay, job security, and benefits I’m very grateful for. But I sometimes ask myself if I am willing to be married to this job and location for another 20 years.

A friend of a friend offered me a job working on an oil rig that pays at least 2x what we make. Would have to move the wife and kids half way across the country. Not looking for advice here, just wondering what deal would you take to move on?
Keep in mind the grass is always greener on the other side. You might decide oil rigging is a rough life, which from what I’ve heard it is. People die doing that :censored2: as well and the hours are long.

Being located in S.friend Cali? Wouldn’t take much to hop on an opportunity just to leave that state! Plus making even more money and paying less in taxes.

Indecisi0n

You can't beat the pay and benefits. I think I would stick here mostly because of the job security. I try not to do dumb :censored2: so it would be difficult for them to fire me.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
You can't beat the pay and benefits. I think I would stick here mostly because of the job security. I try not to do dumb :censored2: so it would be difficult for them to fire me.
probably the right move. Plus it’ll only take us 5 more years to get that $41/hr wage. Smh

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
i hear they make a lot more money hauling oil in Texas. if i lived down there i would quit in a heartbeat.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Been working on my exit strategy since I started working here. Something I recommend that everyone seriously consider at any job. If you have a way out, you are in control of your future, and your employer can't control you through threats of termination.

Whatever job you have, find the minimum quality of life that you can be happy with, and try to live below that as much as you can. Slash your expenses, pay off debts. Invest in yourself, not just retirement funds. Explore your interests and see if you can figure out a way to monetize any of them. If you can save up enough to pay 6 months of personal expenses, and then save up enough for 6 months of business expenses, you'll be ready to pull the trigger and start your own business, or explore other career paths if that's more up your alley.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Been working on my exit strategy since I started working here. Something I recommend that everyone seriously consider at any job. If you have a way out, you are in control of your future, and your employer can't control you through threats of termination.

Whatever job you have, find the minimum quality of life that you can be happy with, and try to live below that as much as you can. Slash your expenses, pay off debts. Invest in yourself, not just retirement funds. Explore your interests and see if you can figure out a way to monetize any of them. If you can save up enough to pay 6 months of personal expenses, and then save up enough for 6 months of business expenses, you'll be ready to pull the trigger and start your own business, or explore other career paths if that's more up your alley.
I was a chef for ten years before I started at UPS. Did the whole culinary school thing, white table cloths, high falutin, the whole nine. I promised myself I would never cook again for a living unless it was my own pirate ship. It’s pretty hard to save for that having two young children and a stay at home wife to provide for. But at least it’s a goal. So there’s that...haha

Indecisi0n

I was a chef for ten years before I started at UPS. Did the whole culinary school thing, white table cloths, high falutin, the whole nine. I promised myself I would never cook again for a living unless it was my own pirate ship. It’s pretty hard to save for that having two young children and a stay at home wife to provide for. But at least it’s a goal. So there’s that...haha
Kids ruin everything

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The job offered to me is in North Dakota. Brutal winters. Drastic change from California weather eh?

No..No.. Don't go there.. I spent 4 years on a SAC/Missile base in Grand Forks in the early 70's..You haven't seen a winter till you seen one in North Dakota. Snows till April, melts/floods than the mosquitos big as your hand come out. Fours hours of daylight in the winter, you got to plug in your car to keep it running so standard issue is extension cords and jumper cables. People die up there during their blizzards, the worst I lived thru was 60 below with a 80 below wind chill factor, total white out could not see my hand in front of my eyes. All flat, nothing but fields of sunflowers and potatoes, all the farmers leave the state when winter is near. It is like going back to the 1800's for most of the state, their major dance step is clogging I kid you not.

Granted with the oil boom up there things have changed and I an talking about being there 50 years ago. If you like the rustic outdoors and privacy it is the state to go to, just be prepared.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Cost of Living is killing you there.

Transfer or find another Teamster job close to where you live.

UPS is designed to get the best years of your youth.

If you're around 35. I say apply for a job in Alaska. Pick a good union outfit like Hecla. It's in the south west portion of Alaska and not at the Artic Circle or on The Northern Slope. You work for 4 weeks then get almost 3 weeks off and make 6-figures with excellent benefits. It's a dry camp you'll stay at with free room & board and food.

You can stack your chips flying to Alaska to work. Plus, the airline flies out of the Bay Area so you can build up to be a gold member in no time and start flying first class to & fro for pennies.

It's hard work but it won't melt your mind & spirit.

Check it out.

Good Luck.

Staydryitsraining

No offense but if your a California liberal dont move to Texas. Also tell the 35 people you know talking about moving to Texas, dont.

Cost of Living is killing you there.

Transfer or find another Teamster job close to where you live.

UPS is designed to get the best years of your youth.

If you're around 35. I say apply for a job in Alaska. Pick a good union outfit like Hecla. It's in the south west portion of Alaska and not at the Artic Circle or on The Northern Slope. You work for 4 weeks then get almost 3 weeks off and make 6-figures with excellent benefits. It's a dry camp you'll stay at with free room & board and food.

You can stack your chips flying to Alaska to work. Plus, the airline flies out of the Bay Area so you can build up to be a gold member in no time and start flying first class to & fro for pennies.

It's hard work but it won't melt your mind & spirit.

Check it out.

Good Luck.
What did you do to get all of your posts moderated???

sandwich

The resident gearhead
No offense but if your a California liberal dont move to Texas. Also tell the 35 people you know talking about moving to Texas, dont.
People in Texas are so stupid. I got lectured by someone about how there are no unions in Texas and that Texas is NOT a right to work state. If you've never met someone too stupid to debate with. Then you've never been to Texas. No offense

Stick too long with brown, and there is no going back. 18 years part time, I'm making $50-60k a year, lots of OT, 5 weeks paid vacation (soon to be 6), if I quit and went anywhere else, I'd get less pay for more hours and worse benefits. Golden handcuffs indeed. I'm here until I retire, for better or worse.