What would it take for you to jump ship? Realistically

old levi's

blank space
Staying with this job for 32 years has paid off for me in retirement. That being said, I really disliked what the job became over time, especially over the final 10 years. But I also recognize that I was old for a pkg. driver during that final stretch , and which adds an additional physical toll.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Sean Connery

seriously , if you work by the methods , the job is not too bad. you youngsters have to watch the old timers. they are usually more laid back and mellow for a reason. they figured out the secret to survival at UPS.

financially , the trick is to live below your means.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
O&G sectors are heating up again, but much like 5 years ago, it can end just as quick. I worked my ass saving and paying off everything so that if I did bounce, I’d be ok in whatever I landed in. I’ve saved up enough that even if I just let it grow without contributing more the compounding interest would be enough to retire at 55.

My advice, live on half of what you make, save the rest, get in a position that if something did happen, you can just open another chapter in your life without money being the driving factor to your new job.

FEGuy

People in Texas are so stupid. I got lectured by someone about how there are no unions in Texas and that Texas is NOT a right to work state. If you've never met someone too stupid to debate with. Then you've never been to Texas. No offense
Sort of have to agree with this post. Spent a lot of time in Texas. Worked in several different cities. There is only one thing wrong with Texas. It's full of Texans.

FEGuy

Cost of Living is killing you there.

I assume you are talking about California. Wonder if you've ever been there, though? Cost of living is all relative. You would be hard pressed to find another spot in the country as beautiful as California, as well as anywhere with better weather. It literally lifts your spirit every day you are there. It's sad that people put so much emphasis on money. There are many of us whose life does not revolve around it. And in my opinion, we are much happier for it.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
No offense but if your a California liberal dont move to Texas. Also tell the 35 people you know talking about moving to Texas, dont.
If California is the liberal empire. Then why would liberals want to leave and move to Texas of all places. Do "yall" ever stop and think before you talk. Or do you just say stuff without thinking.

MAKAVELI

If California is the liberal empire. Then why would liberals want to leave and move to Texas of all places. Do "yall" ever stop and think before you talk. Or do you just say stuff without thinking.
People who move from California to Texas because Texas is cheap. And that on that note the OP should check the cost of living in North Dakota. It has skyrocketed since the oil boom of there.

Last edited:

Staydryitsraining

Its not taxed to stupidity, most people still speak english, 1450 sq ft homes arent 490k in :censored2:ty places, gas isnt 3.85 a gallon, people can still own guns, red light tickets arent $500, everyone is nicer. Liberals destroy their cities, move somewhere because its so bad only to turn what they move into what they left.

ManInBrown

Nothing could get me to leave

They pay me 2 grand a week to drive a tractor trailer around in the middle of the night

Not to mention bennys and vacation

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Its not taxed to stupidity, most people still speak english, 1450 sq ft homes arent 490k in :censored2:ty places, gas isnt 3.85 a gallon, people can still own guns, red light tickets arent $500, everyone is nicer. Liberals destroy their cities, move somewhere because its so bad only to turn what they move into what they left.
The average pay is a lot higher to compensate for the high prices. The people to blame are the politicians that you Texans voted in. They made Texas a friendly place for business. Lots of California companies moved and are moving their business to Texas and bringing their employees and ca salaries with them.

AlliSeeisBrown

I technically jumped ship. Was friend/T package for a little over a year while continuing to network in the field I got my degree in. Finally, an opportunity came around that has great pay, benefits, work/life balance. Pay is not quite what a top rate driver would make but there is opportunity for upward movement. I started to get fat working in the office all day so I came back to UPS to work inside twilight to stay fit. Driving PM air now. Pretty happy.