What would it take for you to jump ship? Realistically

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I technically jumped ship. Was friend/T package for a little over a year while continuing to network in the field I got my degree in. Finally, an opportunity came around that has great pay, benefits, work/life balance. Pay is not quite what a top rate driver would make but there is opportunity for upward movement. I started to get fat working in the office all day so I came back to UPS to work inside twilight to stay fit. Driving PM air now. Pretty happy.
good for you.

someone with brains which is rare around this place.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I thought I was gonna make a career out of UPS. But it sure felt like they were doing their best to change my mind. So I bided my time, and when the moment was right I used some of the money I'd saved to get the friend* out and get some schooling in something far better.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Its not taxed to stupidity, most people still speak english, 1450 sq ft homes arent 490k in :censored2:ty places, gas isnt 3.85 a gallon, people can still own guns, red light tickets arent $500, everyone is nicer. Liberals destroy their cities, move somewhere because its so bad only to turn what they move into what they left.

I can agree with most of that except the part where most people still speak English

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
59F37B23-F186-4083-B340-58B6E82C2B3E.gif
good for you.

someone with brains which is rare around this place.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Its not taxed to stupidity, most people still speak english, 1450 sq ft homes arent 490k in :censored2:ty places, gas isnt 3.85 a gallon, people can still own guns, red light tickets arent $500, everyone is nicer. Liberals destroy their cities, move somewhere because its so bad only to turn what they move into what they left.
1. You still have low taxes
2. English is the second language in some areas of Texas
3. As homes and other things become more expensive. Pay goes up with it. That will be a wash. Houses will never be too expensive because there is plenty of land in Texas.
4. Gas prices will grow as people move there. Sorry.
5. You can own guns in CA. Illinois has even stricter laws.
6. Red light tickets get thrown out in court
7. I grew up in CA and have visited family in Texas plenty of times. I'd say people being nicer is a myth. More hospitable to strangers maybe. But people are people no matter where they live.
8. Liberals don't want to move to Texas period the end. How do you figure liberals "destroy their cities" lol. California has a booming economy. Growing up there and now living out of state. I don't notice any difference in day to day life. It's a bit cheaper I guess. House prices can be cheaper. I read crazy stuff about CA all the time. Other than reading about it. Life is pretty normal.

Tony Q

This question pertains to drivers with no more than 10 years seniority. Assuming most of us having no higher education or any real back up plan, how would you go about getting out?

Personally, sometimes I feel so trapped in this job. The good pay, job security, and benefits I’m very grateful for. But I sometimes ask myself if I am willing to be married to this job and location for another 20 years.

A friend of a friend offered me a job working on an oil rig that pays at least 2x what we make. Would have to move the wife and kids half way across the country. Not looking for advice here, just wondering what deal would you take to move on?
A free house boat. I would live off the water. It would be a beautiful way to spend the rest of my days.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I was going to start a topic similar. You read so many complaints about UPS, some valid and some just paranoid rants.

If you were to leave UPS, what would be a forward step for you. This is probably aimed at FT package or Feeder drivers hauling in top rate and all the Benny’s.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I was going to start a topic similar. You read so many complaints about UPS, some valid and some just paranoid rants.

If you were to leave UPS, what would be a forward step for you. This is probably aimed at FT package or Feeder drivers hauling in top rate and all the Benny’s.

Pimpin a string of whores

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
1. You still have low taxes
2. English is the second language in some areas of Texas
3. As homes and other things become more expensive. Pay goes up with it. That will be a wash. Houses will never be too expensive because there is plenty of land in Texas.
4. Gas prices will grow as people move there. Sorry.
5. You can own guns in CA. Illinois has even stricter laws.
6. Red light tickets get thrown out in court
7. I grew up in CA and have visited family in Texas plenty of times. I'd say people being nicer is a myth. More hospitable to strangers maybe. But people are people no matter where they live.
8. Liberals don't want to move to Texas period the end. How do you figure liberals "destroy their cities" lol. California has a booming economy. Growing up there and now living out of state. I don't notice any difference in day to day life. It's a bit cheaper I guess. House prices can be cheaper. I read crazy stuff about CA all the time. Other than reading about it. Life is pretty normal.
PREACH!!!

sikidiki

My dad worked for ups for 38 years, Circle of Honor driver, i grew up saying id never be a ups driver. Until i realized how expensive it is to live on your own, i did everything from retail to fast food and every farm job you can think of. I worked retail for 7 years and barley survived on that paycheck, i was always in debt and not getting ahead.

600 every 2 weeks wasn't cutting it, no insurance or benefits. I finally decided i wanted out of that crap hole and applied to ups even though i don't like change/stress and pressure but its the best thing i've ever done in my life. I can make 600 a week on the starting rate and actually pay bills/save money and i have amazing benefits and insurance.

I couldn't be happier, this job will only get easier with time as i learn all the routes. Im in for life. I also hate college im too lazy for that.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I was a chef for ten years before I started at UPS. Did the whole culinary school thing, white table cloths, high falutin, the whole nine. I promised myself I would never cook again for a living unless it was my own pirate ship. It’s pretty hard to save for that having two young children and a stay at home wife to provide for. But at least it’s a goal. So there’s that...haha

If it were easy everyone would do it. My situation is almost identical to yours, it's taken me over a decade of working multiple jobs waiting to drive, and languishing for 4 years in progression. I've been paying off debts and socking away as much as I could. At top rate I expect to be where I want to be in a few more years.
I realize your cost of living is probably higher, so it could take you even longer. You might look into transferring to a more affordable location and stick with UPS for a while.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You can't beat the pay and benefits. I think I would stick here mostly because of the job security. I try not to do dumb :censored2: so it would be difficult for them to fire me.

If there is a will, there is a way..maybe not fired, but they can teach you a good lesson..fun times..