What would you do

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
@G.V. Rush what did you end up deciding to do?
I ended up getting a transfer out of SF to rural life. I did pursue the apprenticeship program but I failed the test by one question. It was 6 months to be able to take the test again and in that meantime my transfer was accepted. So long story short, I still wear shorts for a living. But I’m out of the city and swim/fish in the rivers and lakes all around me on the weekends.

I wish I would have passed the test because I still would of rather have gone that route. But hey, still have a good paying job.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Revisiting this old thread. The delta surge railroaded my chances last year and I didn’t make it in. But, finally, I got the call. Big decision time coming soon, but unless I’m talked out of it I’m outta here.

Whereistheunion

Handed in an application for the NJATC apprenticeship. Got called in to take the altitude test. I guess I passed because they called me again to do the final step which is a formal interview.

it’s a 5 year program and at the end you become a Journeyman as an inside wireman that’s pays $70.00/hr. Just wondering if I should throw away 7 years of seniority here and start all over in a different field. What would you do?
Wait out the new contract if possible and see if staying here is worth the headaches. Once you leave UPS that's it for your SENORITY and place in line.

baklava

Wait out the new contract if possible and see if staying here is worth the headaches. Once you leave UPS that's it for your SENORITY and place in line.
The OP took a transfer out of SF and I don’t think is considering leaving UPS anymore. I hijacked this thread. I have to make a decision in a few weeks and as long I don’t get talked out of it I’m good as gone

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The OP took a transfer out of SF and I don’t think is considering leaving UPS anymore. I hijacked this thread. I have to make a decision in a few weeks and as long I don’t get talked out of it I’m good as gone

One reason I'm sticking around is to see if there will be a strike next year. After that, I could pretty much leave any time, and will the minute I'm where I need to be financially

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One reason I'm sticking around is to see if there will be a strike next year. After that, I could pretty much leave any time, and will the minute I'm where I need to be financially
There will not be a strike as today's drivers don't have the cajones to walk and there would be ZERO public support. Most of them live paycheck to paycheck and $55/week just don't cut it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think most of the spineless drivers who allowed all the give backs over the last twenty years will be retired by then.
Good one! Last time I checked my pension check does not have an asterisk.

Top rate at the end of the current contract will be $40/hr with an equal amount contribution to H&W for each employee. The insurance is industry leading. What more would you want for a job that requires only a HS diploma and valid driver's license?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Good one! Last time I checked my pension check does not have an asterisk.

Top rate at the end of the current contract will be $40/hr with an equal amount contribution to H&W for each employee. The insurance is industry leading. What more would you want for a job that requires only a HS diploma and valid driver's license?

Why would I care about what is on your pension checks? Low expectations, and lack of self-respect, lead to concessions and give backs. Some people may want more money, I'm mostly ok with what I make. My issue is the constantly deteriorating working conditions. Man shall not live on bread alone.

baklava

There will not be a strike as today's drivers don't have the cajones to walk and there would be ZERO public support. Most of them live paycheck to paycheck and $55/week just don't cut it.
This is an unnecessarily cynical take. You don’t know anything about the drivers outside of your former center. We have the best supplement in the country in NorCal and most drivers I know we’re down to strike over the last contract.

Public support will undoubtedly be mixed, but definitely not zero. Not when there’s videos and news articles about drivers collapsing and dying on the job.

baklava

I thought about waiting another year but I’d have to apply all over again. I think I should seize the opportunity while I know I have it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is an unnecessarily cynical take. You don’t know anything about the drivers outside of your former center. We have the best supplement in the country in NorCal and most drivers I know we’re down to strike over the last contract.

Public support will undoubtedly be mixed, but definitely not zero. Not when there’s videos and news articles about drivers collapsing and dying on the job.
I came back to help train new drivers this past Peak. Based on some of the new "talent" that I saw, no way you guys would strike.