What would you do

We never "authorized" the first one.

So far. Take a good, hard look around......take a look at our industry....how it's run and trends.....we are the last of a dying breed.

Report back. Serious statement.
Serious statement? Nothing about you can be taken seriously.

Last of a dying breed in this industry? With record revenue and profits year after year, and no sign of anyone catching us, this statement is just meaningless babble. Do I think we're unstoppable? Not by any means, but you can't say the trends are showing our decline and the the industry is leading us to us our demise.

Stop trying to make such profound and insightful statements, you consistently look foolish.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Last of a dying breed in this industry? With record revenue and profits year after year, and no sign of anyone catching us, this statement is just meaningless babble. Do I think we're unstoppable? Not by any means, but you can't say the trends are showing our decline and the the industry is leading us to us our demise.

Stop trying to make such profound and insightful statements, you consistently look foolish.
He’s nothing but doom and gloom then when you point out it’s clearly not that bad he tries to act like he can predict the future lol

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
We never "authorized" the first one.

So far. Take a good, hard look around......take a look at our industry....how it's run and trends.....we are the last of a dying breed.

Report back. Serious statement.

Just be happy that we get to benefit from this before it goes away. I don't know how many times I've tried to get in on a good thing only to have it evaporate before I could benefit. Easy come easy go.

quad decade guy

K. Fair enough.

A). There are how many union delivery companies? And we are the most expensive....

Now, we went through a pandemic.....true. Which did HELP us.....and it will always be that way?

Now, throw a strike in there(lot's of idiotic hotheads here).....who know's?...how about it Nostradamus (we'll call you that too)?

As you watch everything cut to the very minimum to keep those profits....security etc. And when everything is gone and cut...

Labor is next. Throw in automation....

Only the obtuse would say no sign of anyone catching us....in fact it would sound like meaningless babble....

With Amazon gaining and planning to in fact not only "catch us" but leave us behind......this is happening before your very eyes.

In fact, stop trying to make such profound and insightful statements, you consistently look foolish.

Nothing about you can be taken seriously....

Can all this end....absolutely...you bet. I've earned mine.....but it is far from secure. Ask just about any old Central States folks. ASK THEM!

Now if you are intimidated by "profound "statements....go somewhere else.....get a picture book.

K. Fair enough.

A). There are how many union delivery companies? And we are the most expensive....

Now, we went through a pandemic.....true. Which did HELP us.....and it will always be that way?

Now, throw a strike in there(lot's of idiotic hotheads here).....who know's?...how about it Nostradamus (we'll call you that too)?

As you watch everything cut to the very minimum to keep those profits....security etc. And when everything is gone and cut...

Labor is next. Throw in automation....

Only the obtuse would say no sign of anyone catching us....in fact it would sound like meaningless babble....

With Amazon gaining and planning to in fact not only "catch us" but leave us behind......this is happening before your very eyes.

In fact, stop trying to make such profound and insightful statements, you consistently look foolish.

Nothing about you can be taken seriously....

Can all this end....absolutely...you bet. I've earned mine.....but it is far from secure. Ask just about any old Central States folks. ASK THEM!

Now if you are intimidated by "profound "statements....go somewhere else.....get a picture book.

As I said, there is no trend of UPS being in decline. You throw in a strike? Way to move the goalposts, again. Amazon planning to take over? Sure, but thus far have proven themselves incapable, still no trend. Talking about Central States Pension? Different topic from your original post discussing the devastation of UPS in 1997. Which, in fact, was so devastating that UPS generated just as much revenue as they did in 1996 and still grew by $2.4B in 1998, not far off of previous trends.

Your anecdotal evidence is more anecdote and not so much evidence. Nothing profound, contrary to your personal belief in your own statements.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
As I said, there is no trend of UPS being in decline. You throw in a strike? Way to move the goalposts, again. Amazon planning to take over? Sure, but thus far have proven themselves incapable, still no trend. Talking about Central States Pension? Different topic from your original post discussing the devastation of UPS in 1997. Which, in fact, was so devastating that UPS generated just as much revenue as they did in 1996 and still grew by $2.4B in 1998, not far off of previous trends.

Your anecdotal evidence is more anecdote and not so much evidence. Nothing profound, contrary to your personal belief in your own statements.
No use discussing anything with him.
He knows it all.
Just hit the dislike on his posts and move on

quad decade guy

K. The strike ushered in Fed Ex to stay. A profound event. Whatever. IDGAF.

I just hit the dislike button and move on.

Waiting for our key West flight now.....

Spending my retirement......

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Got a letter today.

"After further review of your application for the Commercial Apprenticeship Program and our efforts to obtain the best qualified people, we would like you to come into our office for an interview."

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
yea i might bail. i'd get to roll over my 401k which is a HUGE plus. i mean our 401k is great but converting it to IRA and Roth IRA affords one so much more financial flexibility. that's probably not as much of an issue for most of my coworkers as they don't max their tax advantaged accounts or even participate at all in them. i'm probably not going to be earning $70/hr ever at ups. unless i switch to management, which is essentially the same thing as quitting and getting a different job. seniority? seniority is crap. mostly what you can use seniority for is not working as much. anyone that values seniority at ups very much has their priorities seriously out of whack. the job conditions at ups seem to be declining. it's pretty clear they've lowered the standards for new hires which makes existing drivers less valuable, this trend does not bode well for job happiness.

Last edited:

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Well I thought the interview went well. All that's left to do now is wait for a letter with their decision.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Wanted to do the same thing but was too worried about effing up or not liking it and not being able to come back to UPS. The inside lineman rate around here is about $10/hr more than top rate drivers, but I heard from an apprentice friend that work wasn't always available, and he quit shortly later. I'm still often tempted to do it.
Definitely a riskier move if you’re not in a union-friendly state. I’m in the Bay Area where most big projects are union. I do have a fear of it somehow not working out, but when it comes down to it I believe in myself and my ability to succeed, so I gotta have the cojones to actually make the jump.