Whats up with Walmart?

Star B

White Lightening
oh, that's coming... If walmart will send a package FO they'll eventually start doing SDR.

I'm sure the FO service is at 95% off.

McFeely

Huge Member
I still deliver on occasion to WM on Saturdays. Just go to the front desk and when they say they won't sign, just ask them their name so you can put "refused by" and their tune quickly changes.

Sparky

He was talking about deliveries to the store.
Nope, no Walmart's covered by my station, I was talking about home deliveries. But FO Walmart, now that's something I haven't seen here. For a while we were getting Amazon as P1 but that stopped a few months back. At least most Amazon packages are small so I can release them somewhere secure, but the majority of Walmart I deliver ends up using their biggest boxes, even for small things.

I'm waiting for the day a driver has P1 furniture in his truck.

dezguy

What are your guys' release conditions?

Here, anything that isn't DSR, ASR or valued over $150 (we also have a list of certain shippers to not release) is to be released. Guys at my sta are leaving EVERYTHING, regardless of what it is they're delivering. I can't see it being very profitable when FedEx is having to payout claims on stolen packages.

It will be fine

You won't see any Walmart SDR unless the customer is willing to pay extra for the service.
We get plenty at HD for Saturday delivery. Walmart is expanding their distribution network so they can get most of that delivered by Ground. They just aren't expanding as fast as Amazon. I think the aquisition of Jet is moving this along quickly for Walmart though.

bacha29

We get plenty at HD for Saturday delivery. Walmart is expanding their distribution network so they can get most of that delivered by Ground. They just aren't expanding as fast as Amazon. I think the aquisition of Jet is moving this along quickly for Walmart though.[/QUOTE Question: When you've reached your contracted maximum volume on a given day what does the terminal do? Do they pass the excess off to another contractor bring in temps and rentals or do they simply tell you to wave your magic wand and ......woolah! more capacity just automatically appears?

It will be fine

The daily stop thresholds are well above normal volume, like a few hundred stops above. I'll decline individual stops that go over 200 pieces every now and then. Sometimes other contractors do it, most of the time they have to pay a Linehaul guy to take it.

bacha29

The daily stop thresholds are well above normal volume, like a few hundred stops above. I'll decline individual stops that go over 200 pieces every now and then. Sometimes other contractors do it, most of the time they have to pay a Linehaul guy to take it.
That's good to know. One of the reasons that I quit aside from the immediate need to have to both hip joints replaced was despite the fact that there was no requirement of a single route ctr. to put on a supplemental and the ctr relations guy said that we didn't nevertheless I was ordered to put on a full time supp simply due to their signing up of a 2 box 46 mile round trip pickup. While they freely admit that there's no one single term or condition set for in their unilaterally drafted an implemented contract they consider binding upon themselves it would appear that at least in your case their behavior made have settled into a pattern predictable enough to where you at least have a hunch as to what they're going to do next. The 16 routes at my small barn are now in the hands of just 3 ISP's but they will never join to take unified stand on even one issue. I recently had a chance to speak to the other 2 Day 1 ctr's who along with myself got the operation started in 1992 ( none remain) and all three regret the fact that when the operation was designated for closing twice in it's first 3 years and we fought bitterly to keep it from going through. and of the 3 who remain all 3 are still driving a route on a daily basis while at the same time have other routes they own 100+ miles away from them.

Star B

White Lightening
What are your guys' release conditions?
.... I can't see it being very profitable when FedEx is having to payout claims on stolen packages.
I'm sure the "stolen package percentage" is built into the discount from walmart.... additionally... what difference does it make. Walmart, Amazon, Chewy, Jet, Wayfair (ugh...) have the same opportunity for package theft.

Okay, maybe not wayfair cuz nobody wants to have to stick a 100lb headboard in their kia.

Sparky

I deliver to a neighborhood full of unsavory persons, so no releasing anything if I can't get it out of view from the street. That includes under their porch, inside a grill, hidden in the bumper of a broken down car that hasn't moved in years, mixed in with their recycling, in a window, etc...

Nolimitz

How much do you bring back every night? Loss is built in. Really isn't my problem. Poo happens. Not going to spend all day looking for a hiding place and then have to answer traces on where pkg was left....

I deliver to a neighborhood full of unsavory persons, so no releasing anything if I can't get it out of view from the street. That includes under their porch, inside a grill, hidden in the bumper of a broken down car that hasn't moved in years, mixed in with their recycling, in a window, etc...

McFeely

Huge Member
Today I had a piece of medical equipment that had "High Claim $$ Item" stickers on it. No signature req'd.

Released it with the stickers highly visible to everyone in the world. High $ item? Pay for signature.

Sparky

How much do you bring back every night? Loss is built in. Really isn't my problem. Poo happens. Not going to spend all day looking for a hiding place and then have to answer traces on where pkg was left....
Lately too many, although I don't even knock for most things, lots of two families here so under the stairs or behind the garbage cans for most anything that doesn't require a signature, the only thing that really bothers me is passports and the endless orders of p1 human hair from China, both need signature, and are usually never home.

vwsunroof

..and the endless orders of p1 human hair from China, both need signature, and are usually never home.

I am so tired of these. Today I had 6, of course 5 were apartments with no one home and DRA builds so many stops there is no time to leave at apt. offices.