What's your method of breaking boots in?

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I break in new boots buy wearing them round the house and doing choirs, also when going to stores and all weekend for at least a week or 2 before I bring in to work mode. A little water stretching to. You want a good quality boot though. If not they start out to tight and rub blisters into your feet and they "Break in" for the length of their life and next you now it's only a couple months ; your lacing up to max tight and still the leather stretched out larger hen your feet and your feet have to much play.

Put a little extra $$ into your boots and try them on and walk around for a good 5-10 min. in store before purchase.

My wife hates going Boot shopping with me, LoL. I'm very picky.

Columbia boots at footlocker have done me well and kept me under a $>Benjamin<$ not the absolute best, but very good for the $dollar.

I have a summer boot and a winter boot.

Never tried the thin inner sock but will try that trick out sence my winter boots will sweat my feet to a prune and Bruce Lee jumps outta my boots kicking when I get home from peak. At least, thats what my family says, Lol.

2Slow

I love my red wing boots. Not sure where people find these amazing perfect boots that need no break in. I wonder how long they last before they break down...

Anyway, I always bring old shoes (or boots) and change when my feet start hurting. Never had any blisters this way, and they are usually broken in in a few days.

Packmule

I just bring the old ones with me for a few days. If the new boots are not hurting me, I keep them on. If they are, I switch. Trick is to change BEFORE they start hurting too much because once the foot gets tender, nothing feels good. After a few days, any boot will start to break in.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I like Herman Survivors. I never had had to break them in. Tried some others, wore them on weekends doing chores etc.

One thing is for sure, you want to take care of your feet in this job, cause it is a miserable life if you dont. Job is hard enough
without doing it all day long while enduring pain.

Sat is right on, spend a few extra and get a good pair that does not have to be broken in.

d

bigbrownhen

My winter boots are Danners. They lasted two years. The inside is worn out,not the soles. I am going to purchase a new pair for this winter. I didn't care for the tough leather, so I am going to try the mink oil this time.

DS

Fenderbender
My winter boots are Danners. They lasted two years. The inside is worn out,not the soles. I am going to purchase a new pair for this winter. I didn't care for the tough leather, so I am going to try the mink oil this time.
Mink hunting 101
Do not attempt to get oil from a live mink.
I also like new balance in summer and sorel in the winter.
I also have fat feet and I just put them on new and suffer.
My right toes are all messed up and it's painful to walk,but I keep
smiling anyway.I'll keep doing this job even with a walker if I can:sad-very:

brostalss

Since I live in the center I deliver in, I'll get my shoes out and take them with me. I'll put the new ones on about halfway thru the day and I'm good to go.

balland chain

Either Rockports or Timberlan PRO LINE..... neither need any break in period!
Try Vasque sundowners. I have worn those for close to 20 years.. A pair usually lasts about 1 1/2 years to 2 years.. They are great boots with great support that we need.. They will be the boots I hang up when I retire, I will wear nothing else.. They cost about 200-220 bucks. Check Ebay to see if you can get lucky and pick up a pair for a bit cheaper.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have a similar question...i found a pair of steel toe boots that fit awesome. They're from walmart so i just keep buying the same exact brand. Problem is, they only last about 3 months getting beat up loading..so i end up buying new boots 4-5 times a year. I'm hesitant to buy a more expensive pair simply because they may feel okay trying them around the house, but if i wear them to work n they bother my feet, i can't return or exchange them. Can anyone recommend a good steel toe boot for someone with wide feet?

Returntosender

Try looking at Bootbarn website don't know if Bootbarn has stores outside of Vegas. Try Redwing shoes they offers ups employees a discount. Just show them proof of employment. Or take your shoes to shoe repair they might just add new soles.

barnyard

KTM rider
I wear mine on weekends until the are broke in. I usually start with a heavy application of Obenhauf's boot something or other to soften the leather. The 1st day that I wear a new pair on route, I bring another pair along in case I have to change during the day.

This is another reason that I am loving rebuildable shoes. Rebuilds do not take as long to break in, usually a day or less.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sorry, but your mistake is in buying a Red Wing work boot.
Yes they do last, but at a cost to your feet.
I learned that lesson over 30yrs ago. 2 blisters on my left foot and 3 on my right foot. I did not have the money to spare for new boots, so I just wore them. They lasted 5yrs.
A true quality work boot does not require any break in.
There are "old school" tricks to get a leather boot to form to your feet.
Soak them in water and wear them while they dry and they form to your foot.
If they are too tight, or just rub in certain spots, soak the area with rubbing alcohol and use the end of a broom stick, on the inside, to stretch the leather.
To soften the leather, massage mink oil into the leather-(it also is a good waterproofing)-.
IMHO, the best thing to do is to buy a boot that fits perfectly when you try them on at the store.

So redwings are made just as they were 30 years ago and his feet are just like yours?

Sounds like u made the mistake of getting a boot that didn't fit your foot.

I've worn red wings every day since I started at ups almost ten years ago. Hell I wear them all weekend also.

I've never had a problem breaking in boots. Usually wear them around the house for a week before I start work in them that's it.

curiousbrain

I currently wear 10 inch Timberland Gravel Pit boots; they are massive, at 5 pounds each. But, I've put them through hell, and they still fit perfectly.

To the previous sentiment, though, I agree - "good" boots fit right, feel right. No need to "break them in", as it were.

Also, don't skimp on your boots - before I bought these boots, the only thing that hurt at the end of my day was my feet and knees; since I purchased these, I still "hurt" at the end of the day, but don't hurt, if you know what I mean.

balland chain

So redwings are made just as they were 30 years ago and his feet are just like yours?

Sounds like u made the mistake of getting a boot that didn't fit your foot.

I've worn red wings every day since I started at ups almost ten years ago. Hell I wear them all weekend also.

I've never had a problem breaking in boots. Usually wear them around the house for a week before I start work in them that's it.
I too have never had a problem with my Vasque boots... My feet feel great compared to what they use to feel like.. Hell, they have a vibram sole, and the support for the ankle helps as well..

BrownArmy

...Can anyone recommend a good steel toe boot for someone with wide feet?

Try Carolina boots...they go up to EEEE widths.

HERE's a link to a tall pair, HERE's a link to a short pair...

Most comfortable boots I've ever owned and you can get them resoled.

This particular boot is made in America, although not all of Carolina's boots are.

They're pricey, but definitely worth it.

CA1309.jpg
CA1809.jpg