When a good relationship goes bad

badpal

DR bag it at the back door? Too big? I wouldn't want a UPS driver opening up my car unless we'd talked about it.
Times have changed, 20 or 30 years ago I used to get into peoples car glovebox to look at paperwork to see if I was at right address.

badpal

Never seen one of those. I'll have to keep an eye out. We have a few old trucks that have paper delivery pads in them still. Maybe some of those in the pouch somewhere.
Don't bother. sure they long gone. And nowadays a sorter wouldn't know what they meant anyway.

oldupsman

No dr to a car. I understand believe me you we’re trying to do her a favor but in today’s Ups you have to cover your ass. You can deliver to a garage but no dr method to a car. If something went missing from the car you would be on the hot seat. This isn’t the old Ups anymore
If DR Car is not an option why is it in the DIAD?

I do agree that it should not be our first choice but in the scenario outlined by the OP I would have made the same decision.

I can't tell you how many packages I put in somebodys car on a rainy day over my career.
Honestly, probably hundreds over 32 years. And got thanked for it later by the customer.

oldngray

nowhere special
I can't tell you how many packages I put in somebodys car on a rainy day over my career.
Honestly, probably hundreds over 32 years. And got thanked for it later by the customer.

Some customers want you to leave packages in their cars. Knowing details like that comes from learning the route. The same customer may call in and complain if package isn't left when the regular driver is on vacation.

brownelf

Now that she has claimed non receipt on a DR, that would now be a sig req stop on my route. You know darn well she got that pkg let her deal with the customer counter during peak as a payback.

rod

Retired 22 years
Good way to get shot Einstein....

I spent about 20+ years putting packages INSIDE of doors. You hollered United Parcel Service as you tossed the package in. We were instructed not to just say UPS because apparently in a center close to us a driver had been chased down by a Sheriff and accused of vulgar language because a little kid had told his mother a man had opened the door and shouted "your penis". Now days I would probably be like every other driver. Barely slow down and toss the package out the door.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
No dr to a car. I understand believe me you we’re trying to do her a favor but in today’s Ups you have to cover your ass. You can deliver to a garage but no dr method to a car. If something went missing from the car you would be on the hot seat. This isn’t the old Ups anymore

You guys should see some of the places we DR here in Wyoming. We have 3 pages of other locations but some of the best are:
a boat that gets pushed back out in the water b/c the goats eat the packages
tied to a tree branch 4ft off the ground because the horses kick them if left on ground
in a cow pinching machine, in a bull sperm getting machine (don't ask me I don't wanna know what it's called bad enough I know what it does)
in cars, on cars, under cars, in tractors, near tractors, over tractors in a barn
in a stove that also represents the warning sign "open range"
on a roof of a half subterranean house
down a chute to a zombie / doomsday bunker
in a BBQ, in an outdoor pizza oven
in a decommissioned Fedex truck
in a plane that is now a house
and a few others places that I can't remember but I know we have CPAD alerts for

When I first started we were actually taught to jiggle door handles and if they were unlocked to open the door just enough to slide the package in and to make sure that it was closed before leaving.

That's normal around these parts. We open doors all the time to slide packages. There is one driver who has had his route so long the customers joke to cover drivers about how he has caught them in various precarious situations and they always know when Driver X is off because the cover drivers knock or leave the packages in different spots. We have customers that leave beverages in fridges or notes to grab a fresh elk steak from the freezer.

Good way to get shot Einstein....
Maybe in your parts but that is normal here. What will get you shot at out here, is when cover drivers don't know the routine and are delivering after dark and try driving down roads that don't lead to the ranch houses.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
To the OP:

Concern #1------assuming that you left her a delivery notice, you made the right choice.

Concern #2------you do not have the right to arbitrarily make an address signature only.

Concern #3------see #2.

Concern #4------you have already stated that the FD was an unsafe DR.

Sounds like you owe this woman an apology.
Wrong you absolutely have the right to make an address no DR it is up to the drivers discretion whether or not to DR any package. By DRing a package you are taking responsibility for the fact that you left it in a safe location and if that lady is behaving suspiciously a signature is the only way to CYA.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
You guys should see some of the places we DR here in Wyoming. We have 3 pages of other locations but some of the best are:
a boat that gets pushed back out in the water b/c the goats eat the packages
tied to a tree branch 4ft off the ground because the horses kick them if left on ground
in a cow pinching machine, in a bull sperm getting machine (don't ask me I don't wanna know what it's called bad enough I know what it does)
in cars, on cars, under cars, in tractors, near tractors, over tractors in a barn
in a stove that also represents the warning sign "open range"
on a roof of a half subterranean house
down a chute to a zombie / doomsday bunker
in a BBQ, in an outdoor pizza oven
in a decommissioned Fedex truck
in a plane that is now a house
and a few others places that I can't remember but I know we have CPAD alerts for
What about in a house, with a mouse, in a box, or with a fox?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What about in house, with a mouse, in a box, or with a fox?
Fox?
images-14.jpg