When I go....

moreluck

golden ticket member
This may seem like a morbid subject, but what plans, if any, do you have for 'after you're gone'?

As a child I was forced to go to funerals and viewings and I absolutely hated every minute of them. They were drawn out affairs that took a real toll on everyone involved.

For me, I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered on the golf course....that way at least my hubby will visit me all the time. Or maybe the Pacific Ocean.

We just got a funeral card from the husband of a resident who recently passed. There was a nice poem and at the bottom it read..."Final resting place, the Pacific Ocean." I like that.

I don't want the big, full-blown funeral. I want friends & family to have a party after the whole cremation thing is over and celebrate the humor of my life.

over9five

Staff member
That pretty well dittos my wishes.

Except I want my ashes scattered at the summit of a particular mountain, and in a certain state park I love.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
That pretty well dittos my wishes.

Except I want my ashes scattered at the summit of a particular mountain, and in a certain state park I love.

I could be wrong, Over9, but I think that's illegal. The Pacific Ocean desire More voiced above may also be a problem. My grandmother wanted the same thing at one time but research told her it wasn't possible. I could be wrong. If you want to know, More, PM me and I'll find out. -Rocky

moreluck

golden ticket member
FROM THEIR SITE......

The Neptune Society plan includes:
  • 24-hour availability of our staff
  • Removal from place of death
  • Transportation to a refrigerated holding facility
  • Procurement of one certified copy of the death certificate and cremation permit
  • Professional and administrative services as required
  • Cremation Container
  • Cremation*
  • Urn
  • The return of the cremated remains to the family or scattering at sea
  • Travel protection to cover you when you travel away from your home*

over9five

Staff member
"I could be wrong, Over9, but I think that's illegal. "

Not illegal (according to my attorney), but difficult to get permission.
Which is why you don't ask! Ask your family to have a private ceremony. No one needs to know...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Scattered ashes along Lake Erie, and a big party, with everyone who liked me or loved me there, with the song "prop me up beside the jukebox when I die", playing.
I recently decided I did not want any of the funeral crap. I have my brother and my sister in my living room in containers, coz they never said, what they wanted done or where they wanted buried. I dont want to be sitting in anyones living room. I also have my last two dogs in Jars. I have trouble letting go I guess...:w00t:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Not illegal (according to my attorney), but difficult to get permission.
Which is why you don't ask! Ask your family to have a private ceremony. No one needs to know...

My mistakes, Over9 and More. Her decision may have been made based on other factors I either wasn't told or have forgotten. I was starting college at the time she became ill with liver cancer and spaced on a lot of stuff I probably should have paid more attention to :sad:.

rushfan

My mother in law used the neptune society for my wife's grandma.

I've been thinking alot about it. I deliver to our county's coroner's office, and a funeral home every day. I deliver all their supplies, from body bags to gloves. At times, baby caskets which sucks.

I want the "fun" put back into funeral. Go New Orleans all the way. I too hated going to, and still hate going to funerals. I want a closed, cheap box. The cheaper the better. I don't want kids to be freaking out seeing a "stiff" as I was.

If you get bored, check out Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records. You can see where the famous, and not so famous are stored.

Last edited:

Sammie

I'd much rather that my girl, a single mom of 3 working on her masters and my boy, struggling with MS, get the $10,000+ that would otherwise go towards a depressing funeral.

Science/medical is gonna get me when the time comes and if I can help somebody out by doing so, cool beans. Remember, there's a whole lot of folks out there needing transplants. A 15 year old family friend, after waiting 3 years, received a kidney transplant shortly after Xmas. She couldn't have waited too much longer...

I'd like to be remembered with a late afternoon garden party to show off my yard work; cake and champagne, look thru my family photo albums, share a funny story, and some fireworks as the sun goes down....

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Exactly it, it seems so abnormal to have someone view you dead. I know the older generation wanted that but I dont.

I never thought it was right. Heres a box with ashes, heres some pics, now go party. I think a service is fine, and needed by some to get the closure that the human mind needs, but the viewing is like twilite zone.

Oh she looks so good, oh he looks tired:w00t: No he/she looks freakin dead!! And unless you are a doc or an EMT, I dont think you are prepared for that. I prefer to be remembered with a beer in hand. Having a great day, surrounded by my kids, grandkids, pets, plants, boating, fishing, camping, etc. Not as a pale chalky body in a casket.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I never have liked funerals either. The viewings are the worse, seldom does the departed loved one look like they did when they were alive. Funerals are for the living, to show love and support to the next of kin that are hurting the most. I used to think just put me in a cardboard box, stick 0/70 highlight labels on it, and carry my carcass in a P7 somewhere to be thrown in a hole in the ground. The embalming, expensive casket, vault, plot, etc. just seem like a waste of money. Lately I have been thinking of cremation, maybe my ashes thrown to the wind in a beautiful place I enjoyed once when I was alive. I hope it will be a festive occassion, my soul will be in a better place hopefully!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Well at least you all are thinking & talking about it. Please don't leave your family with no clue as to what you want. Say it to everyone and say it often so they don't forget. Then if they don't carry out your wishes, you can come back to haunt them......BOO !!!

govols019

You smell that?
The only request that I've made is that everyone that attends my funeral arrive in separate cars. I want the longest processional possible. If anyone rides together I'm gonna haunt them.

Oh, and I want the Darryl Worley song Whistle Dixie played. I love my home in the South. Darryl Worley - Whistle Dixie Lyrics

govols019

You smell that?
One more thing, I also want a neon sign above and a spotlight on my tombstone. I want to stand out.

Maybe a merry go round too.

over9five

Staff member
"I also want a neon sign above and a spotlight on my tombstone."

I want Christmas lights!

What movie was that from??