When to retire 30 years or 52 age ?

ManInBrown

It is about $1000/month per year of eligibility until you hit the max. You want to hang around but you also want to get out of there before you are too crippled. I got out at 52 with 34 years. I would have liked to have waited a bit longer but I wasn't sure I could pass the next DOT physical. My other option would have been to jump on a 22.3 job but I just wanted out of there.
Just curious, what part of the physical were you unsure of being able to pass? I got started late at UPS and will somehow have to make it into my early 60s. Pretty sure I'll have trouble getting a porter job, or a rewrap or clerk position. Will probably have to go feeders till the end. Was it BP or something else? I worry about the DOT physical also becoming a problem at some point. I have a ways to go, but I already think about it.

oldngray

nowhere special
Just curious, what part of the physical were you unsure of being able to pass? I got started late at UPS and will somehow have to make it into my early 60s. Pretty sure I'll have trouble getting a porter job, or a rewrap or clerk position. Will probably have to go feeders till the end. Was it BP or something else? I worry about the DOT physical also becoming a problem at some point.
Many problems but it boiled down to years of wear and tear. BP I was close but still passed. Same for eyes. Plus back problems.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We lost that last contract. They offered buyouts for anyone that was close but I know a guy that missed the cut off by two weeks and he had to work 4 more years.

When they made the change here they grandfathered anyone who was within 5 years----I think they lost 3% per year.

If we do have the 30 years but are not quite 55 we do have the option of leaving early and freezing our pension until we turn 55.

Over 70

I've been budgeting on 500/week and banking the rest. It doesn't always make for an exciting life but we don't go without much. My wife brings home about 500/week with a fantastic union teacher pension.

Once the kiddo is out of daycare and I'm pounding the rest into my house it'll be gravy

I'm preparing on my own.

oldngray

nowhere special
I've been budgeting on 500/week and banking the rest. It doesn't always make for an exciting life but we don't go without much. My wife brings home about 500/week with a fantastic union teacher pension.

Once the kiddo is out of daycare and I'm pounding the rest into my house it'll be gravy

I'm preparing on my own.

It does suck when you plan based on the promised pension and what the health care costs will be but get hammered with changes later. I can see plans being changed but those already retired should be grandfathered in. Especially since they aren't allowed to vote on the changes.

Over 70

It does suck when you plan based on the promised pension and what the health care costs will be but get hammered with changes later. I can see plans being changed but those already retired should be grandfathered in. Especially since they aren't allowed to vote on the changes.

Yeah being a 30 something just into the game I don't count on anything being there other than my wife's state teacher pension which we chose to put the max into. Anything else is a bonus, the rest is up to me.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yeah being a 30 something just into the game I don't count on anything being there other than my wife's state teacher pension which we chose to put the max into. Anything is a bonus, the rest is up to me.

You would be amazed how little it takes to live on if your house is paid for and you are debt free.

Over 70

Unfortunately everything goes up except your pension

My great grandparents have ran into that in their 90's. Yes both alive and married 70 something years. Gramps retired in the early 1980s and they weren't big savers and now his union plumbers pension is a joke in today's money. They flat out never expected to live this long.

ManInBrown

I honestly hope I don't even live to see 85. I would be fine with 78-80. I have no interest in being a Burden on anyone, or living in a nursing home being cared for by people who don't even want to be there, making minimum wage cleaning up after me.

Over 70

I honestly hope I don't even live to see 85. I would be fine with 78-80. I have no interest in being a Burden on anyone, or living in a nursing home being cared for by people who don't even want to be their, making minimum wage cleaning up after me.

I agree it's tough to watch. They aren't there yet but it's getting close

My great grandparents have ran into that in their 90's. Yes both alive and married 70 something years. Gramps retired in the early 1980s and they weren't big savers and now his union plumbers pension is a joke in today's money. They flat out never expected to live this long.
My grandpa worked for US steel and got paid pennies on the Dollar.