Where is UPS going to get next generation drivers?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Care to share why you talk of it this way?
Why do is it bad for the workers to become PT supervisor and why does mgmt want them to become one? I'm just starting and they're already taking to me about advancement to PT super and then to IE department.
Search through the threads. PT supervision is not a road well chosen anymore. But it does have its advantages, depenmding where you want to go with your career. caveat emptor.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
He'll be back. He's just mad that he's a stepchild. You still earned your stripes after this long. Took him 2 years to get full pay too, right? Plus weren't you serving in our armed forces while many of us were loading trucks?

You the one who brought it up. We know you ain't from no gutter!

I have found that the better drivers are hired off the street.:wink2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Have they looked around the hub lately? The selection of people whom you'd want coming to your door seems to be at an all time low.

I remember people saying the same thing 30 years ago.
They will get future drivers from the ranks of part-timers and if no one is interested, then UPS will hire from the outside.
There are millions of smart, honest, hard-working people out there with no college degree or an English or History degree.
A lot of people with college degrees would take the job right now ... gladly.

old levi's

blank space
I remember people saying the same thing 30 years ago.
They will get future drivers from the ranks of part-timers and if no one is interested, then UPS will hire from the outside.
There are millions of smart, honest, hard-working people out there with no college degree or an English or History degree.
A lot of people with college degrees would take the job right now ... gladly.

I have the degree and I'm out there every day. Just saying.....

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Hired off the street, the best? I recall a story from a driver that they did try hiring off the street only. In the first week, the HUB was flooded with a mountain of grievances. Within a few months, they were all gone.

Its not that you worked within the HUB or hired off the street. Its how bad you want it, how far will you go to obtain it and how thick you can grow your skin.

upstate will probably lurk / troll forever.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would not do it again, if I knew then what I know now. I cant believe Ive lasted it this long. So now I cant give it up.
I would have survived somehow, everyone does. its a young mans job. 50 yrs and you should go, and thats what they would like too, so I am staying:hangin:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would not do it again, if I knew then what I know now. I cant believe Ive lasted it this long. So now I cant give it up.
I would have survived somehow, everyone does. its a young mans job. 50 yrs and you should go, and thats what they would like too, so I am staying:hangin:
With only 7 years in at 50 I have a looooong time to go. If they would offer me a decent retirement package right now, I would probably take it but I know that's not going to happen. I had a wicked bad dream last night. I dreamed that my truck broke down and I didn't call in, just went home with the intention of calling, fell asleep, didn't get up til the next morning, the next morning I was back at work trying to keep my job, everything was different.................... literally. The inside of all the trucks were painted a pretty yellow and blue. Bizarre dream.

This will be my last post on Brown Cafe. I would like to thank the majority of you as I have enjoyed the time I have spent here. I would also like to thank Cheryl and Tony for putting together a meeting place for us to share thoughts, talk about new technologies or simply to vent. Dave.

moreluck, you need to get a life. You are the primary reason I will no longer be a member here. You are dominating a forum to the detriment of the forum. You need to back off and let others participate. Dave.

Hoke, don't ever lose your sarcastic wit.
This didn't last long.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Were supposed to put 15 on by the end of the year supposedly, but all these stupidazz kids that work preload and local sort have jacked up driving records, yeah exactly THIS GENERATION lol.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Were supposed to put 15 on by the end of the year supposedly, but all these stupidazz kids that work preload and local sort have jacked up driving records, yeah exactly THIS GENERATION lol.
I agree but there's also a lot more cops out there looking for a lot more tickets to write.

30-40 years ago everyone drove drunk. Times have changed.