Where would I find results from panel and arbitration

brown_trousers

My shop steward is notorious for just shrugging off questions and telling people to just "read the contract". As if we should all know exactly how every line in the contract is interpreted.

From my experience, most grievances that are filed in my center approach a gray area where contract language doesn't define the grievance in absolution. Which it then relies on jurisprudence of previous cases to decide.

So where do I find these panel and arbitration results, so that I can know if a contract issue has already been decided one way or the other?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My shop steward is notorious for just shrugging off questions and telling people to just "read the contract". As if we should all know exactly how every line in the contract is interpreted.

From my experience, most grievances that are filed in my center approach a gray area where contract language doesn't define the grievance in absolution. Which it then relies on jurisprudence of previous cases to decide.

So where do I find these panel and arbitration results, so that I can know if a contract issue has already been decided one way or the other?

This info is not readily accessible to members, or even Stewards.

The local Executive Board and your BA, can access this info.

If that is what your Steward is telling you, sounds like he/she needs to be replaced.

Call your BA and ask him/her about it, and if necessary, have him/her print out the decision.

People have wanted a central data base, accessible to members, for all local, state, JAC, National and Arbitration decisions, but it ain't gonna happen.

Bypass your lazy Steward and go directly to your BA, collecting $200 if you pass "GO"

Gimme Danger

That disc is not supposed to be for members, or even Stewards, and is sometimes hard to get for a member.

Most BA's, @BUG included, will not give it out.
That is true, but a good BA may print out a relavent decision for a particular grievance question. If that BA can make sense of the disc, that is.

542thruNthru

People have wanted a central data base, accessible to members, for all local, state, JAC, National and Arbitration decisions, but it ain't gonna happen.

Bypass your lazy Steward and go directly to your BA, collecting $200 if you pass "GO"

Could you elaborate on why this won't happen? I'm just curious about the reason.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Could you elaborate on why this won't happen? I'm just curious about the reason.

Do you actually think the Union wants the members to be informed and knowlegeable?

Why would they be Top Secret!!

See above.

The Union claims cost, but see the above response.

Screenshot_2017-08-02-00-42-18-1.png

542thruNthru

Do you actually think the Union wants the members to be informed and knowlegeable?

See above.

The Union claims cost, but see the above response.

View attachment 148714

First, thank you for the response.

It's stuff like this and dodging and ducking of questions that keep people from believing the "you are the union" saying people drop on you when you complain about something.

I may be a little dense but I don't understand why the union wouldn't want their members informed. It would only make us stronger and a more solid union. Anyways it's just disheartening.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
First, thank you for the response.

It's stuff like this and dodging and ducking of questions that keep people from believing the "you are the union" saying people drop on you when you complain about something.

I may be a little dense but I don't understand why the union wouldn't want their members informed. It would only make us stronger and a more solid union. Anyways it's just disheartening.

The union is like the government.

The government doesn't want you to be independent, to think for yourself.

The government wants you to be a follower, to toe the line, to do what they tell you to do, to rely on them for everything and to never question them.

Hey, sounds just like the Union.

Observer

You used to be able to find it on the internet. It was a list of all of the panel decisions and what the grievance was for and what local. It's not the easiest thing to find. See if you can get help from your BA - you are paying their salary. If I remember correctly the national panel thing was always in June and I think either San Diego or Las Vegas.

Gimme Danger

You used to be able to find it on the internet. It was a list of all of the panel decisions and what the grievance was for and what local. It's not the easiest thing to find. See if you can get help from your BA - you are paying their salary. If I remember correctly the national panel thing was always in June and I think either San Diego or Las Vegas.

National panel is 3 times a year in different locations. This year was San Antonio in March, Minneapolis in June and Seattle in September.
Times and frequency of local, supplemental and regional panels vary.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
That disc is not supposed to be for members, or even Stewards, and is sometimes hard to get for a member.

Most BA's, @BUG included, will not give it out.

I believe the disc, or database, should be available to everyone but know that 3/4 of the people that read the cases will have selective memory like they do with the contract. They read one section but forget the 10 sections before or after because it doesn't support their idea of what should happen. Same with arbitrations. They will read the part that supports their view of the world and forget the followup court decision that overturns the arbitration or other decisions that were opposed to their view of the world. I am told that there are some arbitrations out there that allow a tattoo in certain case but also told that there are 10 times more that say the company has a right to set up an appearance standard and we have to follow it. In the end, most will only review the few.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
We should all have access to this information!!!
What good is the union, then? Just read a few of the union "joes" on this forum for a few minutes, you'll see that they do not want thinking people, fact-finding, or even original ideas; only unthinking loyal followers to a brand name and the noise that goes along with the ride.

Faceplanted

What good is the union, then? Just read a few of the union "joes" on this forum for a few minutes, you'll see that they do not want thinking people, fact-finding, or even original ideas; only unthinking loyal followers to a brand name and the noise that goes along with the ride.
Follow along sheeple!!! And you will like it!!!