Where would I find results from panel and arbitration

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My shop steward is notorious for just shrugging off questions and telling people to just "read the contract". As if we should all know exactly how every line in the contract is interpreted.

That's a good move for the Steward, to suggest reading the contract.

From my experience, most grievances that are filed in my center approach a gray area where contract language doesn't define the grievance in absolution. Which it then relies on jurisprudence of previous cases to decide.

Mmm.... No.

That sounds like "locker room lawyer" talk.

Or, an attempt to sound smart.

So where do I find these panel and arbitration results, so that I can know if a contract issue has already been decided one way or the other?

File a grievance.

Call your Local Union BA.

Go to a monthly meeting, and talk with other members.

Most BA's, @BUG included, will not give it out.

Privilege of elected office. Come look at it all you want.

That is true, but a good BA may print out a relavent decision for a particular grievance question.

But.... you can't use prior arbitration decisions in support of your case.

That's a well known and established fact.

Could you elaborate on why this won't happen? I'm just curious about the reason.

Panel decisions won't tell you anything.

They all start out with.... Based on the facts presented

Unless you are present;

There is know way, for you to know the "facts".

It's a rookie mistake for new BA's.

But, they learn.

We should all have access to this information!!!

It's not going to be spoon fed to you.

Grow up.

Get involved.

-Bug-

Faceplanted

That's a good move for the Steward, to suggest reading the contract.

Mmm.... No.

That sounds like "locker room lawyer" talk.

Or, an attempt to sound smart.

File a grievance.

Call your Local Union BA.

Go to a monthly meeting, and talk with other members.

Privilege of elected office. Come look at it all you want.

But.... you can't use prior arbitration decisions in support of your case.

That's a well known and established fact.

Panel decisions won't tell you anything.

They all start out with.... Based on the facts presented

Unless you are present;

There is know way, for you to know the "facts".

It's a rookie mistake for new BA's.

But, they learn.

It's not going to be spoon fed to you.

Grow up.

Get involved.

-Bug-
Spoon fed? Brah come on. We pay dues what is there to hide? I pay dues, you pay dues, lots of drivers intelligence levels are higher than their stewards and ba.

What do u mean get involved?? I have to become a ba to get access to something that should be public?

WHY IS THIS INFORMATION NOT SHARED?????

Provide a counter argument please brother. I think it's simply elitest bs.

You claim it's bad to base an opinion passed on previous cases... absolute bs. The supreme court works on presidence! The smartest people are the ones who take in all the info, shuffle through the bs and make their own opinions. You guys don't want that to happen.

You guys want sheep

The stuff you... wideload, and leadbelly post are legitimately pushing people away. You guys simply don't get it. Just cause I'm the only one that speaks up doesn't make me the only one who thinks this.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You claim it's bad to base an opinion passed on previous cases.

You need to know the "facts" of a previous case.

And, can't ascertain that.... based on limited information from Panel decisions.

The supreme court works on presidence!

Hate to break the news to you, the Panel system is not the Supreme Court.

In regarding past practice or precedence....

You need to do a little research on Labor Law.

You guys want sheep

It's readily apparent who the sheep are.

The 70%.... who don't have the nuts, to vote on their own contract.

-Bug-

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Spoon fed? Brah come on. We pay dues what is there to hide? I pay dues, you pay dues, lots of drivers intelligence levels are higher than their stewards and ba.

What do u mean get involved?? I have to become a ba to get access to something that should be public?

You claim it's bad to base an opinion passed on previous cases... absolute bs. The supreme court works on presidence! The smartest people are the ones who take in all the info, shuffle through the bs and make their own opinions. You guys don't want that to happen.

You guys want sheep

The stuff you... wideload, and leadbelly post are legitimately pushing people away. You guys simply don't get it. Just cause I'm the only one that speaks up doesn't make me the only one who thinks this.

Could not have said it better!!!

Bravo!!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_0179.JPG

You guys want sheep

Indecisi0n

My shop steward is notorious for just shrugging off questions and telling people to just "read the contract". As if we should all know exactly how every line in the contract is interpreted.

From my experience, most grievances that are filed in my center approach a gray area where contract language doesn't define the grievance in absolution. Which it then relies on jurisprudence of previous cases to decide.

So where do I find these panel and arbitration results, so that I can know if a contract issue has already been decided one way or the other?
Read your contract.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I'd imagine there's also more than a little pressure from UPS and other covered employers to bury that info as deep and inconvenient to access as possible.

Personally, I'd love to see any member get access to it while protecting it from public view, but how would that be possible?

Consider too, that we all know there's been a final decision at the national level on 9.5 violations. The Union generally encourages filing on all violations of the agreement, but UPS will always use distraction tactics (it's based on paid day, etc blah blah) to discourage filing. And the decision has in no way slowed the company in it's continued flouting of that fact.

It's in neither the Teamsters or UPS interests to encourage filings on any and/or all contract violations. This is an instance where they are probably in cahoots against the members/employees. Ups doesn't want to spend the money to defend and the Teamsters equally don't want to spend the money to prosecute the myriad grievances that opening up the books would bring on.

Definitely ask for a printout of the decision that pertains to your termination. Ups loves to fire people, so I'd imagine there's one (at least, maybe more) that mirrors your termination.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You used to be able to find it on the internet. It was a list of all of the panel decisions and what the grievance was for and what local. It's not the easiest thing to find. See if you can get help from your BA - you are paying their salary. If I remember correctly the national panel thing was always in June and I think either San Diego or Las Vegas.

The goofballs at TDU were the only ones that posted National Panel Dockets.

They stopped doing it in 2014, as it served no purpose.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...s/original/1434374941/Oct-2014.pdf?1434374941

I'd imagine there's also more than a little pressure from UPS and other covered employers to bury that info as deep and inconvenient to access as possible.

Personally, I'd love to see any member get access to it while protecting it from public view, but how would that be possible?

Consider too, that we all know there's been a final decision at the national level on 9.5 violations. The Union generally encourages filing on all violations of the agreement, but UPS will always use distraction tactics (it's based on paid day, etc blah blah) to discourage filing. And the decision has in no way slowed the company in it's continued flouting of that fact.

It's in neither the Teamsters or UPS interests to encourage filings on any and/or all contract violations. This is an instance where they are probably in cahoots against the members/employees. Ups doesn't want to spend the money to defend and the Teamsters equally don't want to spend the money to prosecute the myriad grievances that opening up the books would bring on.

Definitely ask for a printout of the decision that pertains to your termination. Ups loves to fire people, so I'd imagine there's one (at least, maybe more) that mirrors your termination.

9kthfc.jpg

:biggrin:

-Bug-

MC4YOU2

The goofballs at TDU were the only ones that posted National Panel Dockets.

They stopped doing it in 2014, as it served no purpose.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...s/original/1434374941/Oct-2014.pdf?1434374941

9kthfc.jpg

:biggrin:

-Bug-

Cute, but you know both entities base their actions, to a great degree, on cost, as a matter of survival.

Do you think that cost would remain at current levels for both if these decisions were distributed to all members? That no new grievances would originate from the info that otherwise would have been hidden, to a great degree?

If not a cost consideration, what other motivation determines this? Liability? That's cost. Lawsuits? That's cost also.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Cute, but you know both entities base their actions, to a great degree, on cost, as a matter of survival.

Do you think that cost would remain at current levels for both if these decisions were distributed to all members? That no new grievances would originate from the info that otherwise would have been hidden, to a great degree?

If not a cost consideration, what other motivation determines this? Liability? That's cost. Lawsuits? That's cost also.

UPS and the Teamsters are concerned about being sued over Panel decisions

and arbitration cases ? Would like to see those. Find me one.

-Bug-

MC4YOU2

UPS and the Teamsters are concerned about being sued over Panel decisions

and arbitration cases ? Would like to see those. Find me one.

-Bug-

Concerned about being sued, it's a legitimate concern, and a cost concern. Therefore not a conspiracy theory.

Does the union not ever cite an arbitration decision in dealing with an employer on a similar case?

Faceplanted

You're confusing filing NLRB charges, with suing them.
If ups discriminates/retaliates against me, and I go through the grevience process, and we have a panel....

You can publicly let everybody know the results, or keep it secret. At the end of the day I can still lawyer up if the eeoc doesn't want to handle it and sue the company.

Correct?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If ups discriminates/retaliates against me, and I go through the grevience process, and we have a panel....

You can publicly let everybody know the results, or keep it secret. At the end of the day I can still lawyer up if the eeoc doesn't want to handle it and sue the company.

Correct?

Now you're talking a whole different ball of wax.

I've been trying to stay within the topic of interpretations, or Panel decisions

regarding the application of contact language. Not disciplinary action.

I should have clarified that.

-Bug-