Where would I find results from panel and arbitration

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Seriously? What the hell does that mean about most UPS guys not lasting a day on a freight dock. I'd like you to expand on that because it looks like one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen here.

It's not ridiculous at all.

I'd like to hear if there is anyway he could back this up. I know both worlds well.

You could go back and research threads here on the BrownCafe.

One that comes to mind, was regarding building heat in the winter.

If you know the freight world....

Working on a "no door" open freight dock, pales in comparison.

-Bug-

YoungerBrasherSmarterer

Fistin' the air
It's not ridiculous at all.

You could go back and research threads here on the BrownCafe.

One that comes to mind, was regarding building heat in the winter.

If you know the freight world....

Working on a "no door" open freight dock, pales in comparison.

-Bug-

So your main argument is that it is colder? Seriously?

I have seen loaders during peak loading 4 trucks to the brim on an outside dock in 0° weather with no heat.

I've seen a team of guys loading a trailer of 100+ pound boxes of furniture returns by hand outside. I've seen them do this in the blistering sun, the pouring rain, and with foot deep piles of snow on the boxes.

I've seen driver's in package cars that have more holes than a collondar, and heat that just barely defrosts the front windows, working in negative temperatures, trudging through 3+ feet of snow.

I've seen guys searching for a small package for several minutes, that lead to many hours, mixed in with 350 plus packages in the back of a package car reaching excesses of 150°.

All this is done while some weasel supervisor is breathing down your neck asking why you can't do it better, faster, and safer.

If weather is the only factor on being why freight dock workers have it harder than UPSer's then yes, it is a ridiculous statement.

I'm glad that you are not a freight guy that will ever be representing me. I have seen that arrogance before. I've been at docks where I hear "there goes easy money." You freight guys know our hourly rate and think that we are overpaid. Guys who have done this know we are overworked.

YoungerBrasherSmarterer

Fistin' the air
Uh....

I was working at UPS before you were born.

Nice try.:biggrin:

-Bug-
Just so you know I have 17 years in at UPS so I'm not exactly a puppy.

I just don't get comparing how bad a job is. They are called jobs for a reason and they all suck (except for my BA's job, he tells all his buddies how easy it is.) To pretend like one group can't hack it at another's workplace is RIDICULOUS.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Most UPS members.... wouldn't last a day on a freight dock.

Pft.

Yup

My :censored2: would get sore from sitting on that forklift all day.

Those freight dock guys you speak of wouldn't last a day on the UPS unload. They do know how to, and excel, at driving a forklift.

We don't have forklifts. We move those 100-200 lb boxes by hand.

A

Article 3

Yup

Those freight dock guys you speak of wouldn't last a day on the UPS unload. They do know how to, and excel, at driving a forklift.

Have you ever been in a freezer warehouse at Krogers or Meijers or Marsh and watch those guys on forklifts in minus 10 degrees weather with high wind velocity from those evaporator coils?
It's even better when they get an ammonia leak in that system and they have to breathe it for their shift.
The break room consists of a wall of hand dryers.
They would trade us ft jobs any day.

LeadBelly

Banned
Yup

I've actually done both jobs. I worked the dock in freight at central transport in the early to mid 90's. The winters were awful.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Have you ever been in a freezer warehouse at Krogers or Meijers or Marsh and watch those guys on forklifts in minus 10 degrees weather with high wind velocity from those evaporator coils?
It's even better when they get an ammonia leak in that system and they have to breathe it for their shift.
The break room consists of a wall of hand dryers.
They would trade us ft jobs any day.

I've actually done both jobs. I worked the dock in freight at central transport in the early to mid 90's. The winters were awful.

I know. My brother works the freight dock at ABF.

It was not my intention to dis the freight guys. I know they work hard and sometimes in miserable conditions. This was directed more at @BigUnionGuy . He thinks that all UPS employees are pansyass, over paid cry babies that couldn't handle it if they had to work freight. He has made his opinion known on numerous occasions.

I would post some of his quotes, but he blocks his page. Imagine that.

The UPS employees in his local know how he feels about them and they probably treat him that way in return. And this is all he sees.

A BA that hates UPS employees representing UPS employees is like putting a lesbian that hates men in charge of men.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We don't have forklifts.

You and I know that.

On a different (unrelated) forum, people were complaining about damages

from UPS using forklifts. We had a spirited debate over the issue.

(where I pointed out how wrong they were)

We move those 100-200 lb boxes by hand.
??

70 lbs individually.

From 70 to 150.... not without another bargaing unit member.

(if you have the guts)

Over 150 lbs.... Not a chance. That's freight.

BugGER you have not touched a package in years.

You're right.

I don't have to touch my big package.

Some female companionship.... might do you well.

:biggrin:

-Bug-

LeadBelly

Banned

It was not my intention to dis the freight guys. I know they work hard and sometimes in miserable conditions. This was directed more at @BigUnionGuy . He thinks that all UPS employees are pansyass, over paid cry babies that couldn't handle it if they had to work freight. He has made his opinion known on numerous occasions.

I would post some of his quotes, but he blocks his page. Imagine that.

The UPS employees in his local know how he feels about them and they probably treat him that way in return. And this is all he sees.

A BA that hates UPS employees representing UPS employees is like putting a lesbian that hates men in charge of men.
Bug is a good guy and so are you. I'd be proud to have a beer with either of you or stand shoulder to shoulder. All three of us are closer than you even know.

A

Article 3

It was not my intention to dis the freight guys. I know they work hard and sometimes in miserable conditions. This was directed more at @BigUnionGuy
I know a BA like that. Personally know one.
So do many stewards in this state.
And we are sick of him.

It's not bug.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
This was directed more at @BigUnionGuy . He thinks that all UPS employees are pansyass, over paid cry babies that couldn't handle it if they had to work freight.

If the principle officer and executive board of your Local, are all freight guys

that "beat the horse to death" and you witness it ??

(concerning UPS members)

What would your opinion be ?

They walk on water.... in the Teamster world.

Do UPS members participate in the same fashion ?

Go ahead and try to bust my balls.

Most times, I think they're right.

Truth Dart....

-Bug-

A

Article 3

Yup

I don't know any of them that make $32+/hr (22-3) plus bennies and get up to 7 wks vacation.
Although (being fair) only some of our part time members make over $29/hr if they've been there for several years.

Nonetheless, I say don't stay at a job that you hate. Life is too short.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Do UPS members participate in the same fashion ?

Sad to say, no.

Go ahead and try to bust my balls.

I'm not busting your balls. I actually respect the fact that you went that extra step and ran for office. If you recall, I have actually said that you are right on almost every issue you comment on.

Most times, I think they're right.

This is my only issue.

While it may have come from your Executive Board, I hate the idea of a BA thinking this way. Yes, we probably have more than our fair share of pansyasses, but the majority of us are not overpaid cry babies...well...overpaid....maybe.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I don't know any of them that make $32+/hr

Didn't say they weren't underpaid, but the PTers moving the 150-200 lb boxes by hand at UPS are only making $10/hr, not $32/hr.

Although (being fair) only some of our part time members make over $29/hr if they've been there for several years.

Yup. Most of the PTers are in the $10-$12/hr range.

Nonetheless, I say don't stay at a job that you hate. Life is too short.

Didn't say I hated my job. As a matter of fact, right now I am one of those overpaid $100K/yr seat warmers or steering wheel holders, whatever your preference.