Who came up with this 9.5 "opt in" list BS?!

SnakePlissken

I sounds like you have limited understanding of the 9.5 language. Does anyone else get that impression or is it me? And you don't get screwed for free at UPS, I charge $48.39 per hour of screw time.

I understand the language just fine. The opt in list is not in our center but I know it's coming. I'll be the first one on the list when it does. I'm just against not being able to file when you first have a 9.5 issue in the future. I guess what I'm asking is why the change to the opt in list as opposed to just leaving it the way it was? Maybe someone more enlightened can explain how it benefits us as Teamster members.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yep I'm not on the list. I have my reasons. I'd prefer about ten hours of work a day. This 11-12 everyday is wearing on me though. It's funny they are going to push me to file when I don't even want to be under 9.5. Under 11 is all I'm asking for lol.
do you realize just how much money you are screwing yourself out of by not filing?

None. We can't file for triple time. Until the new contract is ratified at least.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I understand the language just fine. The opt in list is not in our center but I know it's coming. I'll be the first one on the list when it does. I'm just against not being able to file when you first have a 9.5 issue in the future. I guess what I'm asking is why the change to the opt in list as opposed to just leaving it the way it was? Maybe someone more enlightened can explain how it benefits us as Teamster members.

It was in response to some of what you have read here, where in the past (and sounds like what you have now) where you had to be violated a certain number of times prior to being able to file a grievance. Here it was 3 times in a week and you could file, then it became a continuing issue that was very difficult to resolve. It was a very long drawn out process that rarely ended up at a panel hearing where the Manager was told to reduce the Driver's day regardless of the planned day. The 9.5 list is a better process, as you can now "opt in" or "opt out", making the choice twice a year. Here, usually our Drivers don't mind the extra overtime Jan-May but once things heat up they suddenly don't want the extra work. As a Steward, it was difficult trying to fix any Driver's 9.5 problem in June when it's 118 and he's doing 200 stops a day but the last 5 months he was doing it without making a peep. I wasn't in Package when the triple time came around but I sure would have loved getting my guys paid for that. I heard my old Center was regularly paying out $40k in triple time penalty pay each period.

I'm sure your frustration has partly to do with your tenure as a Driver. Lots of things in the Contract don't make sense until you've lived it. The 9.5 is a vexing problem, as it really won't be resolved until the Driver has the right to bring back the package car at 9.5 hours regardless of the stops left on it. The new language that the Union has some say in the Center's daily dispatch will certainly be interesting. I wouldn't want to be a Center Manager when that gets up and going full steam. Chinese fingercuffs for sure.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You quoted me saying that "we don't have it at our center-- yet" so I'm baffled by your "I don't feel sorry" response... ;)

I was always under the impression that Article 37 on the Master Contract covered the whole country, I had never heard that a certain part of the country was not covered by it. My "I don't feel sorry...." comment was aimed more at the drivers in my Center who stand around and complain all the time about the excessive over-dispatching and they refuse to man up and exercise their contractual rights. We have drivers limping around, drivers out on disability, supervisors running routes, and senior drivers quitting. They are finally having to hire or promote new drivers the last month or two, we simply were too under-staffed.

SnakePlissken

First day back from vacation I pissed my center manager off because he called a meeting of everyone who had missed the new DOT break guidelines PCM about taking 30 consecutive minutes. So I said (in a joking manner), "I'm just gonna play it safe and take my whole hour!" Everyone else laughed and got it, but the center manager is kind of a sourpuss and just glared. I thought it was pretty funny.

Re: Who came up with this 9.5 "opt in" list BS?!

in my Centre Management dosent give a toss either way. dispatches run 11-12 hours every day. The DM has stated he'd rather pay than put more people on the road
Then that's when you slow down and pace your self. It's a health risk when you are over worked. Also ask your BA to take 9.5s to the national panel.

First day back from vacation I pissed my center manager off because he called a meeting of everyone who had missed the new DOT break guidelines PCM about taking 30 consecutive minutes. So I said (in a joking manner), "I'm just gonna play it safe and take my whole hour!" Everyone else laughed and got it, but the center manager is kind of a sourpuss and just glared. I thought it was pretty funny.
Are you you a split driver.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Re: Who came up with this 9.5 "opt in" list BS?!

Then that's when you slow down and pace your self. It's a health risk when you are over worked. Also ask your BA to take 9.5s to the national panel.
Work at a "brisk" pace....come on, what does that even mean, just a corporate catch phrase?

Buck Fifty

you are doing it wrong if its 'crap'
Every 8 weeks i get between $1000-1500 in penalty pay, JUST FOR WRITING THE GRIEVANCE! it aint rocket science

Penalties are suppose to stop a bad behavior. The company has no reason to ease up on our hours with our current language. That coupled with a letter of agreement that the union and company shook on........CRAP I tell ya.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

Years ago in Package as a swing driver I had an hour lunch & two 15 minute breaks that I would take as one whole block. I had a ride along and the route I was covering was half tight resi then half of rural stuff where you had 4 stops in a square mile but you had to go in 4 different ways to get to each stop (very few street signs & numbers either). We ran off the resi & then I took meal it just killed him to sit there for that long while I ate a nice meal and read the whole paper. We were out past 9 in a crappy P600 that beat us to death and he ended up having me bring back 15 or so stops. He changed my meal to a half hour shortly after & never rode with me again.