Who else has no problem with a strike?

JustDeliverIt

Here's my thought. Dont under estimate Ups.The company is looking to re invent itself and I think this is one of those times.They have a history of doing this and will not be afraid to roll the dice.

I think they are looking to reinvent their work force at a lower cost if anything (insert 22.4 language here). A strike, even the rejection of the contract will send stock prices down which is really all the company cares about. If we vote it down, I think they'll want to get back to the table to settle investors down. Or at least have something scheduled after peak.
No one wants a strike, but I'm ready if called upon. See what happens the first week in October.

siouxman

siouxman
Let's say we strike for 2 months . Let's say stock loses 50 percent. What does the company have to gain then.maybe Amazon comes in and buys stock. It's a gamble and I believe they will take it

JustDeliverIt

Let's say we strike for 2 months . Let's say stock loses 50 percent. What does the company have to gain then.maybe Amazon comes in and buys stock. It's a gamble and I believe they will take it

I don't believe it will ever fall that much without a market collapse, but even 3-5% is a big hit. Especially when management is given stock, and the people at the top have the most. They will not be willing to gamble, in my opinion, when it hits their pockets the hardest. A strike helps no one. The no vote, if it goes through, will jolt stock prices I'm sure. Not going to risk the current peak we're going into, future volume and their own long term financial outlook. That is why this hard yes push by the union is even more surprising when you look at the whole picture.
But then again, who knows. I'm just a dumb truck driver.

siouxman

siouxman
I don't believe it will ever fall that much without a market collapse, but even 3-5% is a big hit. Especially when management is given stock, and the people at the top have the most. They will not be willing to gamble, in my opinion, when it hits their pockets the hardest. A strike helps no one. The no vote, if it goes through, will jolt stock prices I'm sure. Not going to risk the current peak we're going into, future volume and their own long term financial outlook. That is why this hard yes push by the union is even more surprising when you look at the whole picture.
But then again, who knows. I'm just a dumb truck driver.
My thoughts are no vote wins but not many participate in the election

Tony Q

I'll be honest with you. I could use a week or so off.
But I realize that many workers are in debt up to their ass.

Me? I owe no one anything. So my paycheck is just some spending money.
I know....it sounds selfish. But that is how I choose to live.
I pay CASH for EVERYTHING!

Now with that said, is anyone else looking forward to a strike?
No, I am hoping everything stays the same and we don’t lose 30% of the volume. Call me selfish, but I’d like to keep as many Teamsters employed as possible.

clean hairy

I'm at a point where I kinda need the strike to happen. You see, I bought this beach front property in Arizona, the sale closes in December, and I have to be there to sign the papers. Strike's the only way I'm getting time off.
I know of a bridge in Brooklyn you might be able to buy..

JustDeliverIt

My thoughts are no vote wins but not many participate in the election

I think it will also. This is my first vote as a full time driver, but the level of discontent among the people I work with is very high. Not sure that it is this way across the country, but locally I believe it will be shot down. The wildcard is honestly the PTers. If the quick fix raise to $13/hr actually gets them to vote, along with it being easier to do with the electronic vote, it could be interesting.
Not going to worry about it until they announce the results. I put my no vote in, all I can do for now.

Undertow

I'll be honest with you. I could use a week or so off.
But I realize that many workers are in debt up to their ass.

Me? I owe no one anything. So my paycheck is just some spending money.
I know....it sounds selfish. But that is how I choose to live.
I pay CASH for EVERYTHING!

Now with that said, is anyone else looking forward to a strike?
There's plenty of motivations for endorsing a strike, but simply wanting "a week off" really shouldn't be one for them. Having been through one was a very tough experience as the newest driver in the building at the time and while there were some victories in August of '97, there were also very real repercussions both short and long term and there'd no doubt be an extended period of acrimony in the aftermath of on this contract fight. Make no mistake - Don't root for a strike for something as cavalier as just wanting a break from working. That's a recipe for potential long term pain for minimal short term gain.

Consider striking so that new hires aren't subjected to more hours and less pay for performing the same work, sending a signal to the company that demands for a 70 hour workweek in some of the worst weather and least amount of daylight the year has to offer is not only an insult but a health and safety hazard, or that you're tired of having to navigate around the seemingly non-stop ineptitude and routinely bad planning that produced things like ORION, staffing shortages nearly year round, leaving the building over an hour after start times and DIAD batteries that can't last 8 hours much less the 12 that many are getting stuck out on the road with.

There's extremely valid reasons to consider walking a picket line this time around, but if it comes to that, you and all the rest of us need to present to the company, the customers and the public at large that those reasons truly have underlying merit. If a TV camera were to catch any one of us stating "I just really felt I needed a week or so break from the job", We'd be undermining ourselves and the cause we need to be joining together for.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
There's plenty of motivations for endorsing a strike, but simply wanting "a week off" really shouldn't be one for them. Having been through one was a very tough experience as the newest driver in the building at the time and while there were some victories in August of '97, there were also very real repercussions both short and long term and there'd no doubt be an extended period of acrimony in the aftermath of on this contract fight. Make no mistake - Don't root for a strike for something as cavalier as just wanting a break from working. That's a recipe for potential long term pain for minimal short term gain.

Consider striking so that new hires aren't subjected to more hours and less pay for performing the same work, sending a signal to the company that demands for a 70 hour workweek in some of the worst weather and least amount of daylight the year has to offer is not only an insult but a health and safety hazard, or that you're tired of having to navigate around the seemingly non-stop ineptitude and routinely bad planning that produced things like ORION, staffing shortages nearly year round, leaving the building over an hour after start times and DIAD batteries that can't last 8 hours much less the 12 that many are getting stuck out on the road with.

There's extremely valid reasons to consider walking a picket line this time around, but if it comes to that, you and all the rest of us need to present to the company, the customers and the public at large that those reasons truly have underlying merit. If a TV camera were to catch any one of us stating "I just really felt I needed a week or so break from the job", We'd be undermining ourselves and the cause we need to be joining together for.
the proposed contract blows, enough said

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
They would think it a death sentence.
The union gets grandfathered in with the merger, and the rest of the entire amazon operation would likely merge into a unionized workforce, investors hate that.

PT Crazy

If we go on strike.....and then settle. Package volume will be lost. How many drivers want to go back into the hub? Loading or unloading eight hours a night. They will also miss out on time with the family.

Not to mention the part timers that will be displaced.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I'm still in year one, this new contract would provide me with a nice raise. That said, I feel for my part time brothers and sisters. I'm not a fan of the way UPS handles the preload. I do believe that it's a fine 2nd job, if only for the benes and progression opportunity and early hours. But they are basically bottom feeders, when their job is vital to the success of this company. The money it can cost UPS to deal with misloads is ridiculous.
If you want high quality preload/part timers, you simply need to provide them with a higher quality job. The 22.4 is in theory a good idea in my opinion. But the language (or lack there of) leaves open a giant window for UPS to abuse.
This is a mukti kajillion dollar company; the less part time jobs the better. Preloaders working full time is on the right track, but I think we need to try a little bit harder than "hey, we'll just have some preloaders available to work all the crap driver shifts and prevent 9.5 payouts."
Get more trucks, or hell even those vans. Build small routes that both relief RPCDs and provide opportunity for preloaders to make a living. Clearly define that 22.4s will ONLY work these smaller, relief routes Mon-Fri.

babboo25

Banned
I'm still in year one, this new contract would provide me with a nice raise. That said, I feel for my part time brothers and sisters. I'm not a fan of the way UPS handles the preload. I do believe that it's a fine 2nd job, if only for the benes and progression opportunity and early hours. But they are basically bottom feeders, when their job is vital to the success of this company. The money it can cost UPS to deal with misloads is ridiculous.
If you want high quality preload/part timers, you simply need to provide them with a higher quality job. The 22.4 is in theory a good idea in my opinion. But the language (or lack there of) leaves open a giant window for UPS to abuse.
This is a mukti kajillion dollar company; the less part time jobs the better. Preloaders working full time is on the right track, but I think we need to try a little bit harder than "hey, we'll just have some preloaders available to work all the crap driver shifts and prevent 9.5 payouts."
Get more trucks, or hell even those vans. Build small routes that both relief RPCDs and provide opportunity for preloaders to make a living. Clearly define that 22.4s will ONLY work these smaller, relief routes Mon-Fri.
If we strike you won’t have a job, LOTS won’t have a job, million dollar accounts will be lost, zero chance huge accounts remain loyal after another strike. feeders may be hit the hardest. And no I’m not trying to scare you or sway your vote. I almost want a strike to see how many on here do lose their jobs permanently. If preloaders wanna make a living get a 2nd job or go full time, can’t expect to live off 3.5 hours a day.

Last edited: