Who else has no problem with a strike?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If we go on strike.....and then settle. Package volume will be lost. How many drivers want to go back into the hub? Loading or unloading eight hours a night. They will also miss out on time with the family.

Not to mention the part timers that will be displaced.
That is what happened in 97. Amazon an other companies are ready this time to capitalize .

But I agree to vote NO on contract to get better offer. Strike won't happen because hoffa has no cajones and the company know this so good luck with that.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
strike or not, there is no way the rest of the shipping industry can quickly handle all our volume. small package shipping would grind to a halt the first day we walk and there's no more pickups. every company in America is on the phone to fedex or usps to schedule a pickup up at the same time or within a week or so if they get notice. lol no way is that gonna work. we would kill small internet sales companies and do considerable damage to the larger ones. we talk of how much money ups would lose but think of the collateral damage the ripple effect would cause as well.

another point about scabbing. same principle holds here. the day we walk the pickups stop. the deliveries will continue by sups and whoever might not walk (god help them) for a short while until the system is cleared out and then that's it. doors are locked. after a week or so you wanna cross and go back to work? to do what? we go back to work the day after the strike ends to empty buildings and empty trucks and start doing pickups. the amount of time it would take to get the operation back to the point where there is enough work for everybody is anybody's guess.

babboo25

Banned
strike or not, there is no way the rest of the shipping industry can quickly handle all our volume. small package shipping would grind to a halt the first day we walk and there's no more pickups. every company in America is on the phone to fedex or usps to schedule a pickup up at the same time or within a week or so if they get notice. lol no way is that gonna work. we would kill small internet sales companies and do considerable damage to the larger ones. we talk of how much money ups would lose but think of the collateral damage the ripple effect would cause as well.

another point about scabbing. same principle holds here. the day we walk the pickups stop. the deliveries will continue by sups and whoever might not walk (god help them) for a short while until the system is cleared out and then that's it. doors are locked. after a week or so you wanna cross and go back to work? to do what? we go back to work the day after the strike ends to empty buildings and empty trucks and start doing pickups. the amount of time it would take to get the operation back to the point where there is enough work for everybody is anybody's guess.
Pickups were made in 97, so what happens if other shippers get and keep 1/3 or 1/4 of our volume? Clearly you have no idea what you’re talking about.

JustDeliverIt

A strike is not going to happen.
They would simply renegotiate.

I swear, I don't know what you guys are drinking but you need a tall glass of reality.

I know, the vote Yes crowd always goes to the extreme. As much as it is a possibility, the more reasonable probability is that they will simply renegotiate. But that doesn't suit their agenda so we get the strike and loose all our jobs as the only possibility.

That is what happened in 97. Amazon an other companies are ready this time to capitalize .

But I agree to vote NO on contract to get better offer. Strike won't happen because hoffa has no cajones and the company know this so good luck with that.
Amazon wasn’t shipping with ups in 1997. On a heavy day Jeff got 3 little books because 2 were send agains from the previous 2 days.
Starbucks, on the other hand, needed to find alternatives.

brown_trousers

I wouldn't mind it. But there has to be something specific for that we are asking for in the contract that we haven't got yet for it to make sense to me.
I agree. Im not going to just strike blindly with no proposed resolution, further negotiation, or set goals. Im not the type to just go blindly, throwing caution to the wind

llamainmypocket

I don't really see a strike as a probability either. The company and union don't want a strike. They will just renegotiate until they can't renegotiate anymore.

It's my understanding that the original offer was to have the air drivers handle the weekend volume. That would be acceptable to me. They would have to field a lot more air drivers and those extra hours at a decent pay rate is what part timers need.

I don't really see a strike as a probability either. The company and union don't want a strike. They will just renegotiate until they can't renegotiate anymore.

It's my understanding that the original offer was to have the air drivers handle the weekend volume. That would be acceptable to me. They would have to field a lot more air drivers and those extra hours at a decent pay rate is what part timers need.

At a decent pay rate.... that is less than FSP rate.....sounds like 22.4 job to me.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
We won’t go on strike so I’m not worried if we do I’ll be fine for a few months. I have a feeling this contract will pass though even though I don’t agree with it I’m ready for all this crap to be over with honestly

llamainmypocket

At a decent pay rate.... that is less than FSP rate.....sounds like 22.4 job to me.
View attachment 213736

They wouldn't be delivering during the week though. It also wouldn't pigeon hole a new generation of drivers into a lower paying classification. It would also remove the dishonest language that implies inside/driving work that will end up being driving/driving.

I am an air driver and I've done ground work on Saturday. I would welcome this work at my pay rate.

They wouldn't be delivering during the week though. It also wouldn't pigeon hole a new generation of drivers into a lower paying classification. It would also remove the dishonest language that implies inside/driving work that will end up being driving/driving.

I am an air driver and I've done ground work on Saturday. I would welcome this work at my pay rate.

And a ton of PTers would welcome the pay rate of a 22.4 and FT benefits, does not mean it is the best thing for the membership in the long run.