Why am I loading 4 to 5 package cars in the preload at 250 pph?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Drivers complaining because they were sitting at home sipping a beer at 6:00 PM during peak and not collecting those normal big December paychecks.
That wasn't me. I worked 57-60 hours a week during peak. If these guys wanted more work they could simply ask their route mates, that's what I did.

I use to be seasonal help for UPS not to long ago. Therefore I am very familiar with their preload operation. Usually 3 cars to a pre loader at the rate of 190 packages loaded per hour, off a conveyor belt that runs around 35 feet per minute.
I recently moved and needed benefits so I applied to the nearest UPS facility to work their pre-load. I was pretty much taken back at what I saw during the operation. Most loaders had 4 to 5 cars, and a load rate of well over 230 pieces per hour. The conveyor belt was flying at 45 feet per minute. All of this overload put the workers will past their capabilities. I witnessed at least 30% of the packages being thrown into the cars in order to keep up. I even saw a guy load a package car from the other side of the conveyor belt. I cant even image the damage claims this facility must get along with misloads, and the hours wasted because the drivers have to reload the sequence on road.
Is this the common practice now for the preload, or did I just stumble on a rogue facility that is out of control? Throwing packages twenty feet, no matter what weight or the contents is the norm here..... Any insight is appreciated
You don't seem very smart.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
You don't seem very smart.
They seem pretty smart to me.

Had the chance to visit a few operations here and there for different reasons in my day and this is the norm now a days for preload.

Be on a boxline, or conveyer it's move move move faster faster!

I worked preload just prior to pas implementation and just after and the flow was increased and time expectations were cut to justify the expenses just like Edd and now Orion have done to the drivers.

I believe loading with load charts was EASIER than loading these days.

Sure it was harder to learn but once you knew the loads it was easier. The flow was slower and you controlled where stuff went in your cars. Now the loaders are moved so much and trained so poorly that when 80 packages are crammed into the 4000 section they have no choice but to bulk you out of the front of your truck ( even though the 8000 section is nearly empty) because they don't know what else to do!

Last edited:
They seem pretty smart to me.

Had the chance to visit a few operations here and there for different reasons in my day and this is the norm now adata for preload.

Be on a boxline, or conveyer it's move move move faster faster!

I worked preload just prior to pas implementation and just after and the flow was increased and time expectations were cut to justify the expenses just like Edd and now Orion. Have done to the drivers.

I believe loading with load charts was EASIER than loading these days.

Sure it was harder to learn but once you knew the loads it was easier. The flow was slower and you controles where stuff went in your cars. Now the loaders are moved so much and trained so poorly that when 80 packages are crammed into the 4000 section they have no choice but to bulk you out of the front of your truck ( even though the 8000 section is nearly empty) because they don't know what else to do!
In the many Preloader hearing I've been in over the years the ones who misload and have attendance issues are the members with problems. If you follow their methods and document when others go into your truck then that's all that matters in the end.

EasyTrucker

The only time they slowed the belts down "back in the day " was when we were being audited. As soon as audit was done, right back to max speed. Of course, every sup FT and PT would swear up and down that the speed of the belts couldn't be changed........lmao

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
The only time they slowed the belts down "back in the day " was when we were being audited. As soon as audit was done, right back to max speed. Of course, every sup FT and PT would swear up and down that the speed of the belts couldn't be changed........lmao

They were slower.

30 thousand in my building took 10 hours to process prior to pas (we're a small extended center)

Almost 45 thousand this past year took 8. We'll it took 8 hours to cram it out and pile it up behind the trucks

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Don' worry with all the mistakes being made by UPS lately, we will be loading 8 trucks in near future. Maybe their start using robots for drivers.