Why am I part of the union?

So I am a rehire and just came back to my old hub a couple weeks ago. I remember clearly in the induction meeting HR asking if I wanted to join the Union and me telling them I did not.

I remember being asked the same thing last year, when I started working their the first time and also turning them down.

Well imagine my surprise when I take a look at my paycheck and see $15 deducted in union dues. What is going on here? Was I added to the union against my knowledge? Am I being scammed? Should I talk with my supervisor about this?

Sorry, if this is a dumb question. UPS is my first job, and I'm not quite sure exactly how I'm supposed to go about this.

upschuck

You had to sign a paper to allow it to be taken out. They can't just request it, without a court order, otherwise.

trickpony1

UPS is my first job,

If this is your first job you may not be aware of the benefits of membership.

Don't listen to me though. Talk to a real live person, other than a supervisor, like a co-worker or union steward.

$15 is roughly one hour of work. Can you afford not to?

trickpony1

Also, why did you "leave" the first time?

Considering the chances of "rehire" are slim to none, who do you know that got you "rehired"?

Are you hot?

If this is your first job you may not be aware of the benefits of membership.

Don't listen to me though. Talk to a real live person, other than a supervisor, like a co-worker or union steward.

$15 is roughly one hour of work. Can you afford not to?

If I knew I would be staying with UPS long term then I would definitely want to be a part of the union, however I'm not sure how long I will be staying. And yes at this moment in time every little bit of money counts for me, even $15.

Beyond that, I am more worried about the fact that I clearly declined to join both times when asked and for some reason I was added anyway, without my consent or knowledge.

Also, why did you "leave" the first time?

Considering the chances of "rehire" are slim to none, who do you know that got you "rehired"?

Are you hot?

My hub rehires quite a bit. We have some people who have quit and come back like 4 times.
On top of that my supervisor really liked me, so when I first left he said I could comeback anytime.

trickpony1

If I knew I would be staying with UPS long term then I would definitely want to be a part of the union,

Have you ever wondered if you are being groomed for management?

There is a nationwide campaign to promote females into management.

If you have a degree and are hot, the opportunities will be presented on a silver platter.

It helps if you are LGBT or minority but not required.

Back first

If I knew I would be staying with UPS long term then I would definitely want to be a part of the union, however I'm not sure how long I will be staying. And yes at this moment in time every little bit of money counts for me, even $15.

Beyond that, I am more worried about the fact that I clearly declined to join both times when asked and for some reason I was added anyway, without my consent or knowledge.
If you don't want to be in a union I suggest you work at Fed Ex. Same job no union.

Underallowed306

I’m in a right to work state and I’ve never been a huge labor union guy (upbringing and location), but like someone else said before, without the union we would be making what they make at FedEx or the post office. Also, when you are eligible for benefits, just think of the union dues as your health insurance cost. Where else could you get the coverage we have for that cheap?

I’m in a right to work state and I’ve never been a huge labor union guy (upbringing and location), but like someone else said before, without the union we would be making what they make at FedEx or the post office. Also, when you are eligible for benefits, just think of the union dues as your health insurance cost. Where else could you get the coverage we have for that cheap?
I am a big Union fan and proud of it. Without the Union PT would be making 10/hr with no benefits instead of $13/hr and no benefits. Thank you Teamsters.