Why Do We Use Custom-Made Package Cars?

dragracer66

LETS BREAK IT DOWN FOLKS;
p32 Ford 4.2L v-6, power steering and comfortable to drive, not much maintenance required.

P500 Gmc 292 and 4.3L straight 6 and v-6 JUNK, trucks just fall apart and are forever being worked on.

P500 Work horse 6.0L v-8 gas and V-6 diesel International, also JUNK diesel engines have issues out the ass and the body wiring sucks!! although the gas engine is much better.

P700 Freight liner straight six Cummings diesel, engine is pretty solid and the body stinks, major frame issues, they are slowly going to the big junk pile of metal near you!

p700 International, 7.3L v-8 diesel, good engine, strong and long lasting, body is OK, nothing to major to deal with, will be around for the remainder of its 20-25 year cycle.

P700 Freight liner MB904 Mercedes Benz straight 6, so far so good, only problem so far is they can't move out of there own way!!, good ergonomics, good steering and brake feel. we'll see.....

p700 Cummings straight six Isb engine (new) so far they are good, powerful, QUIET, and feel good to drive.

p800 GMC 4.3L v-6 time has proved this truck to be solid, all kinks worked out and other than the occasional engine and tranny replacement its a legend.

p1000, GMC 4.3L, same as previous.

p1000, freight liner MB904 6, just the same as it's p700 little brother.

p1000 Cummings ISB 6, same as p700, but Bigger!

p1000, International T444E v-8 and VT365 v-8, the first engine is proven to last, the second should have never been made from an automotive stand point! PROBLEMS running good breakdowns are eminent, smoking and low power will happen!!

p1000 Ford, straight 6 Cummings engine, this truck stinks of breakdowns, hydraulic park brakes suck and cause most of them. should have never been built for us!

And then theres the 1200's and 24' trucks, majority of which are Internationals and are generally OK
Can you not write in red it kills my eyes!!! I cant be the only one that thinks this???

NHDRVR

I'm serious - why do we use custom-made cars from Freightliner, gruman, etc?

I drove a Dodge Sprinter Turbo-Diesel the other day - Holy Crap! Power, comfort, accessibility.

Half the cost of what we spend on our package cars.

I was put in a new P-7 last year, a 670*** model, and the damn thing is a dream compared to the older P-7 I had. It's an auto, as most of the new ones are, a better designed seat, and as most of you know, there is something about a vehicle whose heat actually works in the winter...
Also, there is a perfect spot for my DeWalt radio on the floor on the passenger side (near the washer fluid reserve), a wider bulk-head door, a wider passenger side door, better rear-view monitor (color), came w/a new 2-wheeler.....

I hope mgmt. doesn't read this and think I like my job now. I may have just inherited a new split, damn!

Big Babooba

I was put in a new P-7 last year, a 670*** model, and the damn thing is a dream compared to the older P-7 I had. It's an auto, as most of the new ones are, a better designed seat, and as most of you know, there is something about a vehicle whose heat actually works in the winter...
Also, there is a perfect spot for my DeWalt radio on the floor on the passenger side (near the washer fluid reserve), a wider bulk-head door, a wider passenger side door, better rear-view monitor (color), came w/a new 2-wheeler.....

I hope mgmt. doesn't read this and think I like my job now. I may have just inherited a new split, damn!
What good is it if you can't get NESN? ( New England Sports Network)

Pip

Far as the Sprinters are concerned. They just will not take the abuse. I had 2-03' sprinters in my fleet. The last one just got crushed in jan. 09'. The body had cracks all over it, replacing doors, hinges, was pretty common. Parts are expensive for the sprinters. Not really a good cost effective vehicle for UPS in it's present state. If I remember correctly the cost per day was close to $55 or $60 to run. The rearends were another problem along with the tranny. Each were looking at $2500-#3000 approximate to replace.

the sprinters might be better suited for a private contractor, but just not viable for ups applications. The drivers did like them, though. Since I got rid of the 2 in my fleet, it has freed up a lot of time to concentrate on other repairs, though. Gotta say I'm glad They are gone, from a mechanic standpoint.

Just my 2 cents.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
For some of you "Old Dogs" out there I remember when the 1984/85 P80, P10,P50 showed up. Y'all loved them! Now, after your have got soft with the power steering and the auto transmissions nothing would please you.. You need to deliver out of a P400 Dodge!! That was an experience.

As for the Sprinters they just don't last long enough to keep. High expense and short life span says we need to dispose of them. But don't worry, UPS will find another car for you to hate.

The only reason we "loved" the P-8's and P-10's is because for years UPS had been forcing the routes into P-600's that were just too small. The average route in my loop had at least 700 cubic feet going out, so double trips were common. And once peak hit we were really screwed. The newer cars might have been bigger but they were still ergonomic nightmares that ultimately forced a lot of old timers into early retirement with chronic arthritis and bursitis in their knees, shoulders and wrists. And yes, I have delivered out of a P-400....it had 4 wheel drum brakes that locked up on wet pavement, no light in the package compartment, no reverse lights, a bulkhead door that was 2" shorter than the average driver, and a stick shift that would whack you in the nut sack every time you got out of the "seat" that was basically an upholstered board. Those things were flat-out dangerous.

satellitedriver

P500 Gmc 292 and 4.3L straight 6 and v-6 JUNK, trucks just fall apart and are forever being worked on.
This is the War Pony I ride every day.
A 1988 with 800,000 miles on the OD and it is the tightest car I have driven for UPS.
Very few mechanical problems.
The only problem I have is the way the windshield wipers swipe.
They only cover about 40% and the right side mirror can not be seen during a heavy rain.
If it is night and raining, it is a very unsafe vehicle to drive.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The only problem I have is the way the windshield wipers swipe.
They only cover about 40% and the right side mirror can not be seen during a heavy rain.
If it is night and raining, it is a very unsafe vehicle to drive.

You should bring this to the attention of your Safety Committee.

They wont ever actually solve the problem...but they might come up with a new Windshield Wiper Commentary for you to recite. You might also get a cookie and a sticker.

some1else

Banned
The reason the sprinters dont comprise our package fleet is because theyre trash, theyre not a work horse, the trannys go out, engine problems, tfer case problems.....Not saying the other cars dont have problems as well but the hour in the shop per hour on the road is lower
no the reason is they drive like a 700 (turn radius/length) but have no room and take forever to deliver out of

satellitedriver

You should bring this to the attention of your Safety Committee.

They wont ever actually solve the problem...but they might come up with a new Windshield Wiper Commentary for you to recite. You might also get a cookie and a sticker.
Nah,
The Safety Committee is only staffed by folks that screwed up and are busy kissing up.
At least, that is how it works here.

upswrench

Far as the Sprinters are concerned. They just will not take the abuse. I had 2-03' sprinters in my fleet. The last one just got crushed in jan. 09'. The body had cracks all over it, replacing doors, hinges, was pretty common. Parts are expensive for the sprinters. Not really a good cost effective vehicle for UPS in it's present state. If I remember correctly the cost per day was close to $55 or $60 to run. The rearends were another problem along with the tranny. Each were looking at $2500-#3000 approximate to replace.

the sprinters might be better suited for a private contractor, but just not viable for ups applications. The drivers did like them, though. Since I got rid of the 2 in my fleet, it has freed up a lot of time to concentrate on other repairs, though. Gotta say I'm glad They are gone, from a mechanic standpoint.

Just my 2 cents.

Pip, you hit the nail on the head with this post. I had 2 ---2003 sprinters in my fleet and just got rid of my last one. It took forever because they had so many junk sprinters laying around everytime I would lose a rear end they would just send me one from an ADA to install, same with the trans. the M/B parts were crazy in costs. Even if we paid $15,000 for the van new it caught up the the other cars real quick in cost !!!!! And the other cars are still on the road.. making money

upswrench

Just my 2 cents.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
no the reason is they drive like a 700 (turn radius/length) but have no room and take forever to deliver out of

It did take a while to select packages for delivery but the handling, speed & ride comfort beat the old P-500 hands down. The excellent heat in the winter and the 3 point seat belt system were a plus too. In the summer time the airflow was bad so on those 85 plus degree days were miserable.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I must be truthful, the red bothered me too!
Might be the cataract in my left eye but it was hard to read.
Thanks for being blue!

Here is a thought - why not (and I know this is radical) just type in black?

Be colorful with the words you use, not the font.

I mean, seriously, no matter whatI say here, this is too annoying to read.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Good job Dizzee. I LIKE IT! I don't know how to do all that cool stuff so please feel free to keep doing it. Art and imagination is good for the soul.