Why does the pay for part-timers suck so much?

AwashBwashCwash

The drivers get amazing wages but the part-timers get squat for the work we do. $10 an hour? To load up trucks in that heat/cold? How far does $10 an hour get you these days?
I mean I get it, people who make more than us want to keep up down because it means they have more money both relatively and absolutely. Why work us for $15, when prices will just inflate and reduce the real value of your $30? Better to keep us as a slave underclass who keeps the value of your $30 floating nice and high right?
I'm not saying every newbie that walks in on the street deserves the whole farm, but can we get bumped up a little or what? Jesus Christ

moomoom

They are overpaid compared to similar jobs and we are underpaid. Just wait it out for the benefits or if you plan on driving. Only reason to stay here as a pt.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Part-timers outnumber full-timers but don't get as involved with contract negotiations as much, its as simple as that. The company gives the Teamsters so much money for raises and doesn't care how its divided up.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The drivers get amazing wages but the part-timers get squat for the work we do. $10 an hour? To load up trucks in that heat/cold? How far does $10 an hour get you these days?
I mean I get it, people who make more than us want to keep up down because it means they have more money both relatively and absolutely. Why work us for $15, when prices will just inflate and reduce the real value of your $30? Better to keep us as a slave underclass who keeps the value of your $30 floating nice and high right?
I'm not saying every newbie that walks in on the street deserves the whole farm, but can we get bumped up a little or what? Jesus Christ

Oh, please.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Rumor has it, the company will provide pacifiers for you in the new contract

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

You knew the pay rate when yoù accepted the job, right? Ànd if not èvery newbie deserves the whole farm, how many do? I agree that part timers should make more, but please use something approaching a logical argument when you try to get people to accept your premise.

Back when I started on the preload in 1977 preloaders earned $.50/hr less then FT drivers. After 90 days and full time benefits. The Union understood that way FT Union members would be protected from the company undercutting FT wages and jobs in the future.

AwashBwashCwash

Oh, please.
Rumor has it, the company will provide pacifiers for you in the new contract

Here we see the baby boomer in his natural state - slothful and inattentive due to a steady diet of processed foods and cheap beer. Even as his insatiability keeps a steady stream of cheap appliances and bass boat accessories flying off store shelves, he looks around and wonders why the country crumbles around him. Well, the young guys must be pusillanimous, not like me, he concludes with a roar as his large body, filled with gas, rolls over into bed for the evening.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
Part time air drivers make around 28 p/h when they top out after 24 months. Wouldn’t say that was bad at all, especially if you get late air coming in and it turns into a 7 hour day.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Part time air drivers make around 28 p/h when they top out after 24 months. Wouldn’t say that was bad at all, especially if you get late air coming in and it turns into a 7 hour day.
True. It's great for people who want to stay part time.

Thing is, most around here never get to top rate as an air driver. It's just a stop on the way to FT driver. Something to think about with the newest second class 22.4 position.

Just another way for the company to put off top rate even longer than the crappy 4 year progression.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Quit now!

Turdferguson

Just a turd

You should be grateful they pay you that much.

El Correcto

god is dead
Go driving

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Here we see the baby boomer in his natural state - slothful and inattentive due to a steady diet of processed foods and cheap beer. Even as his insatiability keeps a steady stream of cheap appliances and bass boat accessories flying off store shelves, he looks around and wonders why the country crumbles around him. Well, the young guys must be pusillanimous, not like me, he concludes with a roar as his large body, filled with gas, rolls over into bed for the evening.

Jealous?