Why is a 22.4 driver worth less?

Hroller

Okay, the 22.4 driver is working 8+ hours a day.....probably a lot longer....with a 90 minute unpaid break in between......Let's say 9am to 10:30pm....paid for 12 hours.
He/she works Saturday....maybe Sunday.....at the end of the week they are guaranteed 40 hours.....but probably will work 60.....with 7.5 hours in unpaid break time.
Mean while....a RPCD gets 3 days a week.

So this 22.4 driver is going to be happy making $6 an hour less? Tell me more about this unique individual?

RolloTony Brown Town

Okay, the 22.4 driver is working 8+ hours a day.....probably a lot longer....with a 90 minute unpaid break in between......Let's say 9am to 10:30pm....paid for 12 hours.
He/she works Saturday....maybe Sunday.....at the end of the week they are guaranteed 40 hours.....but probably will work 60.....with 7.5 hours in unpaid break time.

So this 22.4 driver is going to be happy making $6 an hour less? Tell me more about this unique individual?

Why do air drivers make less? They punch into diads, drive ups package cars, handle packages and make deliveries.

I’m not advocating for the 22.4 language. I’m just curious to hear opinions.

ManInBrown

22.4s will be buried on the package side of the shift everyday. Why would they ever pay someone 52 an hour OT when they can pay a 22.4 27 an hour OT in the first year of progression.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Why do air drivers make less? They punch into diads, drive ups package cars, handle packages and make deliveries.

There is no reason to pay air drivers less. It's a concession. Don't make another concession for 22.4

Why pay 22.3 FT Teamsters less then a PT Teamster doing the same job? Or why pay a FT Teamster more then a PT Teamster doing the same job?

Box Ox

I’ve done every type of air driving. And if ground driving were like air driving I think I’d actually be OK with my pay topping out at air driving top rate. But it’s not. It’s far more difficult.

Because according to the company or whoever they won’t be driving all day. A mix of inside and driving jobs. “Easier”

That’s the lie the Company is hoping to get away with. A 22.4 driver’s day sure as :censored2: won’t be easier than an RPCD’s. They’ll load for a few hours and then deliver ground with their trucks loaded to the :censored2:ing gills.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

This "unique individual" will be hired from off the street at a disproportional rate from the traditional 6-1 ratio that was once the standard.
Today's part time employee is not interested in being a RPCD, so why would they bid a lessor job in this new classification?

This "unique individual" will also quickly learn that they are a second tier employee and will inevitably resent their top tier peers.

There is nothing good about this language....I hate it.

opey

Why would a RPCD get 3 days? RPCD will have seniority over the 22.4 and be guaranteed their 8 hours a day. They wouldnbt be able to use a 22.4 and refuse work to a RPCD...

the 22.4 wont start at 9am, its a combo job so they will probably be working preload from 4am then get their break when preload is done, before going out to drive. Then there is a good chance they would use them to run bulk stops/pieces stuff left behind etc, maybe take stops off people instead of running a normal route. In reality they probably will have an easier driving job than RPCD. Which will then beg the question, "why does he get the cake job of delivering bulk and and doing pick ups, while I have more seniority and am going out with a bricked out truck and 10 hours of work?"

its going to be interesting how they use the 22.4's, some people think they will used them to do pickups and take the pick ups off of the regular drivers and give them more stops..

Well, its a part time job (the driving portion of it anyway) and its a much easier job than a RPCD has, woudlnt you agree? They also had a great loophole of getting to $25 an hour after only 2 years, and then can go full time and keep that wage while going thru FT progression which would take anyone else 3 years to get to. That loophole is closed with this contract being they made it a 4 year progression for them too

WTFm8

They need to use 22.4s to deliver bulk blowouts and irregs.

My center manager seems to think a day with 2 blowout bulk stops making the truck have 60-80 more pieces then normal should only take 20 minutes longer then normal cause the stop count is still 'only' 190 with pickups.

They say you can't go by the orion map as far as times/last stop but we're required to follow trace.

1 of my business is closed Fridays through the summer so Mondays can be 40-60 packages, some size of 2 paper boxes together. Then 2 other businesses I have do monthly orders in the 50-60 piece range and those days I still have similar stop count. Another is a business ran put of a residential, he can order 15-25 pieces and it gets loaded in middle of truck and scattered.

My ORS said to go to any bulk/blowout stops after air is off yet center manager bitches about over mileage and 2 hours over dispatch... when I compare it to Orion saying 40-60 min over as far as last scan time.

ManInBrown

They need to use 22.4s to deliver bulk blowouts and irregs.

My center manager seems to think a day with 2 blowout bulk stops making the truck have 60-80 more pieces then normal should only take 20 minutes longer then normal cause the stop count is still 'only' 190 with pickups.

They say you can't go by the orion map as far as times/last stop but we're required to follow trace.

1 of my business is closed Fridays through the summer so Mondays can be 40-60 packages, some size of 2 paper boxes together. Then 2 other businesses I have do monthly orders in the 50-60 piece range and those days I still have similar stop count. Another is a business ran put of a residential, he can order 15-25 pieces and it gets loaded in middle of truck and scattered.

My ORS said to go to any bulk/blowout stops after air is off yet center manager bitches about over mileage and 2 hours over dispatch... when I compare it to Orion saying 40-60 min over as far as last scan time.
You’re way overthinking this

Boss “what happened yesterday? You were 200 clicks over”

You “ok. I’ll try better today”

Slug Life

When do we eat?

No offense but I’ve seen Feeder drivers work harder than an Air Driver.
In all honesty it seems like the Air guys have been overpaid. Comparing what you go thru in package.

brown_trousers

Why is a 22.4 driver worth less?
that is just the system we have created over the years. We pay people different rates of pay for doing the exact same work. This isnt a new concept at UPS.

why does a utility driver make less than a regular driver?
why does a 22.3 sorter make more than a part time sorter?
why does an art-40 22.3 sorter make less than a regular 22.3 sorter?
why does a part time air driver make less than a full time air driver?

Staydryitsraining

No offense but I’ve seen Feeder drivers work harder than an Air Driver.
In all honesty it seems like the Air guys have been overpaid. Comparing what you go thru in package.
22.4s already exist in most hubs, they are air drivers. And why be mad at the air driver? If he can rig the ups system why not? Would you rather have ors delivering?