Why is a Strike Quite Possible?

MassWineGuy

I know that as of August the top rate is $40/hour. What are UPS Teamsters unhappy enough about that you might go on strike next year? I’m not dismissing the reasons, I’m just curious.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
There is a whole class of drivers that do the exact same job as a veteran and get paid a lot less and have less rights. They’re trying to make all drivers equal. Doesn’t that sound like something worth striking for?

YeeYee

Not everyone is making 40 dollars an hour like you think. Once you go FT, then it’s at the end of your 4th year that you top out. This doesn’t include all the years as a cover driver. Most centers it’s a 4-7 year wait as a part timer just to get a SHOT at being a driver. Problem we are running into in my center is that PTers do not want to drive due to hours, work life balance, harassment, stress, etc. Also, if you haven’t noticed there’s a reason for the high turnover rate at PT. Ask around, easy to figure out.

DriverNerd

As mentioned before, 22.4s are a joke (same as RPCD with a crappier schedule and payed less), forced 6th day punches, and no 9.5 adherence. Most people on the 9.5 list have no issue with the penalty pay, but they'd much rather work less hours. PVD's are an issue too.

Part timers want higher starting pay/catch up raises and less harassment. And air facilities always have their own issues.

DriverNerd

Problem we are running into in my center is that PTers do not want to drive due to hours, work life balance, harassment, stress, etc.
Same thing here. You know this, but for anyone else not familiar with 22.4...try getting a part time employee making say, $16/hour to drive 60 hours a week for six days a week and since they have no seniority they'll be covering all the crappy routes, will get extra harassment because they're new and don't know their rights, and that nifty 9.5 list everyone is talking about doesn't apply to them. Oh and they get to do all that for an extra $4 an hour, which is half of what a driver of five years makes.