Why is a Strike Quite Possible?

Shorts365

True but we work for a company that has insane capital that can take care of its employees. The place I recently left is going for about 400 more a month in rent. Everything feels tighter that’s a fact.
To be clear, I meant most people here at ups don’t make nearly as much as top scale RPCD. I agree that the company can and should pay everyone more.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
I know that as of August the top rate is $40/hour. What are UPS Teamsters unhappy enough about that you might go on strike next year? I’m not dismissing the reasons, I’m just curious.
we strike have fun with our volume you guys will be crushed

qdg2

I know that as of August the top rate is $40/hour. What are UPS Teamsters unhappy enough about that you might go on strike next year? I’m not dismissing the reasons, I’m just curious.
It depends...

I like overtime. I don't want that to change. I won't vote for a strike for that reason. Noting I didn't say I wouldn't support a strike.

I spent 15 years in pkg before I had enough seniority to bid feeders(And I had 30 years with the company at the time). Every time you change classifications here, you go to the bottom of seniority. Every time. Example: I have A top 10 District(overall) seniority but top 40 at my hub(feeders). All of this is just the way it is....

Pkg car was just the way it was.....8 to 8.....20 years ago. Just the way it was. You went to feeders as soon as you could. RPCD was all there was.......we only worked a rare Sat. or after Holiday. And then, low seniority and up until the need was satisfied. Crappy routes fell to the bottom. Same in feeders now......where weekends are being worked.....right now. Shrug.

I won't vote for a strike(but will support one). Why? There has to be a better way. We've(except once in my career) always worked through negotiations. We can now. Thinking most of the strike items will change or go away.....seems unrealistic to me.

A strike will hurt this company....hard. This is bad business for the Teamsters too.

Most business's have clear pay and benefit differences between pt and full time. UPS is no exception. Pt'ers coveting full time pay seems just that....to me. Unloading trucks is a revolving job and always has been. Always will be. Pt is not designed to be a career. Destroying the company will not change working conditions. It will put everyone on the street.

Modern day delivery is very different than in 97. For obvious reasons. To compete, UPS will have to adopt those practices.

Now, my perspective is from a long time veteran of UPS at the end of my career. But, I have a vested interest in UPS thriving and continuing.

AccidentProne

Fans directed in trailers, auditor for anything over 150 lbs, Job variety when working two shifts, and more pay.

Job variety, meaning you don't work two unload shifts in a row. Maybe get a chance to spot or sort for a shift.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Do you really own that much stock ?

If he did start collecting UPS stock 20, let alone 40 years ago he wouldn’t even bother to blog on this site. He would be like the rest of those shareholders, living in Florida wondering how the poor people are doing.

Remember that back in the early 90’s the UPS stock was selling at 30 dollars a share. MIP was given out like candy and that was before it went public.

I still remember a long term manager talking to another partner that he just became a millionaire the day it went public. We had managers getting second mortgages on their homes in order to buy more UPS stock months before it hit the stock market.

People knew things and the ones who did made a killing..

:wootsmiley::martinismiley:

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It depends...

I like overtime. I don't want that to change. I won't vote for a strike for that reason. Noting I didn't say I wouldn't support a strike.

I spent 15 years in pkg before I had enough seniority to bid feeders(And I had 30 years with the company at the time). Every time you change classifications here, you go to the bottom of seniority. Every time. Example: I have A top 10 District(overall) seniority but top 40 at my hub(feeders). All of this is just the way it is....

Pkg car was just the way it was.....8 to 8.....20 years ago. Just the way it was. You went to feeders as soon as you could. RPCD was all there was.......we only worked a rare Sat. or after Holiday. And then, low seniority and up until the need was satisfied. Crappy routes fell to the bottom. Same in feeders now......where weekends are being worked.....right now. Shrug.

I won't vote for a strike(but will support one). Why? There has to be a better way. We've(except once in my career) always worked through negotiations. We can now. Thinking most of the strike items will change or go away.....seems unrealistic to me.

A strike will hurt this company....hard. This is bad business for the Teamsters too.

Most business's have clear pay and benefit differences between pt and full time. UPS is no exception. Pt'ers coveting full time pay seems just that....to me. Unloading trucks is a revolving job and always has been. Always will be. Pt is not designed to be a career. Destroying the company will not change working conditions. It will put everyone on the street.

Modern day delivery is very different than in 97. For obvious reasons. To compete, UPS will have to adopt those practices.

Now, my perspective is from a long time veteran of UPS at the end of my career. But, I have a vested interest in UPS thriving and continuing.

Tell us all about how you lasted (2 weeks) on a sleeper run....

542thruNthru

Job variety, meaning you don't work two unload shifts in a row. Maybe get a chance to spot or sort for a shift.
latest.gif

qdg2

Tell us all about how you lasted (2 weeks) on a sleeper run....
I can't because that is not true. Tell us why you said such?(besides bullying)(don't think that's possible)(but try).

I drove sleepers for many months. Same run.

Do you really own that much stock ?
Personally, none of your business....

I have a vested interest in UPS's success. My words stand.

Say, I gave a thoughtful if a little long answer......yet, you chose to bully on a weird tangent and asked about my stock?

Shorts365

Ok. So how strong is the possibility that enough members nationwide will vote to strike?
Strong enough that several coworkers I don’t talk to beyond morning hello’s and evening goodbye’s have told me (unsolicited) that they’re saving up / preparing for a strike. The unfairness of 22.4 and tenured PT situations is so glaring and obvious that RPCDs can’t ignore it.

MassWineGuy

I’m an outside observer. But didn’t the union sort of cave in to UPS on the current contract? Hoping they’re getting the message from the rank and file.