Why is UPS management considered: "The Dark Side"?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
At one of my previous jobs it was a non-union company, but going from field work to a supervisory role was the single worst decision I had ever made there. I'd probably still be there otherwise.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Don't let these guys talk you out of management....it's not the dark side..more like rainbows and unicorns...and sometimes they give you cookies and punch!!!

clean hairy

Management has to foot the bill for the entire cost of the Health Insurance, I believe.
I have seen Supervisors and Managers who were told to reschedule their vacation at the last minute due to operational needs.
They can switch you from one shift to another, and from area to area at any time.
You could even be reassigned to a different building on a moments notice.
You do not question anything you are told to do.
Just some of what I have seen as an hourly.

Packmule

Got it. And completely understand.

My only thinking is, I cannot work pre-load for the rest of my life making < $20.

My degree is in underwater basket-weaving. I don't know anyone who can help me find a job. I do enjoy UPS. And sure as hell wish I knew how to drive a stick-shift.
Go into management and you'll be making $3 an hour. You'll still get bigger checks than drivers, but your hours...

PT Car Washer

Management has to foot the bill for the entire cost of the Health Insurance, I believe.
I have seen Supervisors and Managers who were told to reschedule their vacation at the last minute due to operational needs.
They can switch you from one shift to another, and from area to area at any time.
You could even be reassigned to a different building on a moments notice.
You do not question anything you are told to do.
Just some of what I have seen as an hourly.
All true and that is only the stuff they let you see. Can't imagine what goes on when the door is shut. Can't be good when you see a Center Manager crying at her desk at 8:00 at night.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've been a preloader for about 1 year. And enjoy working here at UPS. It's a good fit for me while in college.

Why is management (supervisor, administrative, non-driver, etc.) considered "the dark side"?

Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me? Fair pay, full time job, working administrative duties and so forth.

I've heard: Don't go management--don't sell your soul to the devil.

Realistically, what is so bad about doing that type of work? There are people willing to do it. So it can't be that bad, can it?

If you're the type to let this bozos sway you, you are not management material anyway.
The managed never like to be managed or the people doing the managing.
The primary responsibility of a UPS supervisor is to manage (or control) their operational responsibilities and that requires getting in peoples' faces on occasion and making tough operational decisions that may be unpopular with the managed.
Your degree with UPS Management on your resume will be more valuable in a future interview with another company (a likely responsibility).
Or you can roll and float with the flow taking whatever comes your way decided by others and bitch a lot.
Life goes on either way.

Last edited:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I've been a preloader for about 1 year. And enjoy working here at UPS. It's a good fit for me while in college.

Why is management (supervisor, administrative, non-driver, etc.) considered "the dark side"?

Doesn't seem like a bad gig to me? Fair pay, full time job, working administrative duties and so forth.

I've heard: Don't go management--don't sell your soul to the devil.

Realistically, what is so bad about doing that type of work? There are people willing to do it. So it can't be that bad, can it?
You like being real or fake? If you like being fake go into management if you like being real go into driving. Ask anybody and they will tell you the same thing and what it really means. That's the answer to your question, up to you to do the homework and find out the real deal for yourself youngblood.