Why?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Then quit coming up with more and more piddly crap that shouldn't be a part of the drivers life to begin with.
In our center every driver has to list all clerk packages on a log because the clerks were not doing their job on all the packages brought back in. The log is to give the clerks a check off sheet, so once again the drivers have to take more time so someone else will do their own job and then you bitch about our PM time.More time we get no credit for
On and by the way, YOU don't pay me, UPS does and I earn every penny I get.
Comments such as I PAY YOU are really condescending and add nothing to the discussion. Instead why dont you get a big brown star by actually trying to make the jobs of the people who work for you better, and by the way, you get paid some pretty good bucks also, to do what? Has anyone said you make too much, or dont do what you are suppose to for your pay?
I didnt think so.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It doesn't--sheet as CLO HOL if it is a known closure.

Closed Holiday is for....holidays.
They won't let us use it unless it is indeed a holiday.
It's interesting to see the little differences from building to building.
Can't wait to go in and see what the flavor of the day will be today.
Most days it poop flavor.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
First of all I do pay YOU. I have to send you OMS messages all day long because you (as a driver) keep forgetting to do something and I just got off another conference call defending you. Help me by telling/working with your peers on doing the job correctly so I can fix 705's p/u log. I then also would have time to go look at DPS plan and correct the PDS on the NDA savers spa-ing into the 1000 section. HELP ME TO HELP YOU!! We have also expressed our interest in having the DIAD changed but untill they do I cannot change anything. I can try and keep everyone employed and off the hit list daily. I in no why enjoy having to disicipline someone over something so small but please just take care of the small things daily.

Ego-maniac!!!
My guess is that you aren't even a manager.
Probably an OMS who wants to be one so bad you can taste it, but it stays just out of reach.
Hang in there little fella.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
First of all I do pay YOU. I have to send you OMS messages all day long because you (as a driver) keep forgetting to do something and I just got off another conference call defending you. Help me by telling/working with your peers on doing the job correctly so I can fix 705's p/u log. I then also would have time to go look at DPS plan and correct the PDS on the NDA savers spa-ing into the 1000 section. HELP ME TO HELP YOU!! We have also expressed our interest in having the DIAD changed but untill they do I cannot change anything. I can try and keep everyone employed and off the hit list daily. I in no why enjoy having to disicipline someone over something so small but please just take care of the small things daily.

You sound like my boss. If you drivers would get back to the building sooner we could start earlier. If we drivers started earlier with a normal day we could get back earlier.

705red

Browncafe Steward
First of all I do pay YOU.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA NOT!

I have to send you OMS messages all day long because you (as a driver) keep forgetting to do something and I just got off another conference call defending you.

Have you ever said the drivers have too much work during these conference calls? Have you said the load was screwed and the driver did his/her best? There is a lot that we do that does not show up on paper everyday!

Help me by telling/working with your peers on doing the job correctly so I can fix 705's p/u log. I then also would have time to go look at DPS plan and correct the PDS on the NDA savers spa-ing into the 1000 section. HELP ME TO HELP YOU!! We have also expressed our interest in having the DIAD changed but untill they do I cannot change anything. I can try and keep everyone employed and off the hit list daily. I in no why enjoy having to disicipline someone over something so small but please just take care of the small things daily.
PAl there are a lot of small things that we do, do right daily! Why dont you thank us occasionally for the goood things to! Like helping out with an extra pick up or helping a broke down driver or reattempting a delivery later. You know the small things!

8up

The ECS deal could be so simple. I place packages at the clerk station, bring up the “ECS” screen, scan the packages, transfer the scanned info to a receiver port at the clerk station, like an EDD transfer on road. Or better yet, wireless transfer in the same manner as downloading EDD. The DIAD would transfer all the data needed by the clerk. The clerk scans a package and all the information comes up on a screen, NI3, Moved, NM3, etc. At the end of the clerk’s shift he/she knows if every package was properly entered. Management will know with 100% accuracy if the drivers left their ECS packages with the clerk.

the ORE (on road exceptions) are already in the clerk's ECS. next time you come in check with the clerk, ask them to show you the "Pending Events", it's the F5 key, in case they haven't learned it yet. when we record an exception in the DIAD that info uploads just like a delivery. it gets entered into both the DCS (DIAD control station) and into ECS.
Our clerk takes quite the offense to statements like "if the clerk would just do their job". her rebuttal is "why would i not work a package today, knowing that it will just add to my workload tomorrow?" gosh, i think i've heard that from a driver before. anyway, before they dumb the job down anymore, we should all keep trying to utilize what brain power we have left to get the clerkwork off the car.

anyone remember the bumper sticker: THINK sNOW

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Why does the company continually attempt to treat symptoms instead of fixing problems. There are many issues that the DIAD could assist in preventing or even eliminate completely. Off the top of my head issues like:

1. Sheeting commercial stops closed or NI from 12-1 and after 5. If the DIAD wouldn't let you, problem solved. When the DIAD asks if it's commercial or residential during this restricted time, it could kick it back to us as an illegal entry.

2. COD's that are cashiers check or money orders only could easily have a prompt screen and in fact a prompt is provided for in the new contract (Art. 10 Sec. 2) yet has not been implemented. Why not? Because they are to busy retrofitting trucks with telematics instead of 3 point seat belts.

3. DIAD could assist in helping drivers with a list of exception packages for PM turn in to the BA clerks. Scannable check off.

4. The duplicate stop button is unnecessary. If they don't want to give us credit for another stop then don't unless we differentiate it as a multiple in the consignee or room field.

A second year computer student could write these upgrades into the program yet they continue to make us jump through hoops.

Agreed, and I thought the 2nd year student was working on DIAD 5

There is a hundred more things that could be done, but isn't.

I agree.

If you try to stop complete a letterbox pickup early you get a warning, they should be able to do this with commercial not ins.

Not here.

I think the prompt for exemption scans should be on the next upgrade. I find it such a waste of time that a driver supervisor is holding a clipboard asking me how many did I pull off. Now they leave the clipboard and we are suppose to find our names and write in how many we took off. :biting:

What a joke !! Now I'm required to SUPERVISE myself !!

When we enter our inside building time, we should have to rescan every package that comes off the car. The prompt should stay open until we scanned every bar code that corresponds. Anything that is being taken off the car is right next to my bag and lunch cooler (so I know whats coming off the truck) right at the 2000 shelf area. I don't understand how this is rocket science to some people.

I keep my air and clerk pieces here, as well. Great minds......

Also, put a barcode on driver followup sheets.

Closed Holiday is for....holidays.
They won't let us use it unless it is indeed a holiday.
It's interesting to see the little differences from building to building.
Can't wait to go in and see what the flavor of the day will be today.
Most days it poop flavor.

uhhhhhh the driver followups do have barcodes on them to scan ours are stuck to the back of the page
Not here!
Sure is.

You sound like my boss. If you drivers would get back to the building sooner we could start earlier. If we drivers started earlier with a normal day we could get back earlier.

Here is a novel idea.. Why don't I pay you over $28 an hour and tell you not to sheet commericial packages between 12-1 and after 5 as closed or not in, collect cashier's checks when are you supposed too, turn in packages to ECS clerk because we TOLD you too. Quit blaming UPS because you forgot (as usual) to do some part of your job because you didn't follow the methods we trained you on!! Oh thats right you have a BETTER idea you need ANOTHER reminder, because you did not pay attention during the last PCM, TW, ODS or friendly reminder the management team gave you. Remember this, if you put something in the DIAD you have to take something out its only got so much memory......Maybe we should hire the second year computer student to train you on METHODS 010111010010...............

You have issues! How can you think coming in here and "blasting" away will help you be understood. It's the same as at the PCM. Get up on your pedestal and let them know you're the commander in chief. You really have us listening now, big boy.:surprised:

scoobypanda

Here is a novel idea.. Why don't I pay you over $28 an hour and tell you not to sheet commericial packages between 12-1 and after 5 as closed or not in, collect cashier's checks when are you supposed too, turn in packages to ECS clerk because we TOLD you too. Quit blaming UPS because you forgot (as usual) to do some part of your job because you didn't follow the methods we trained you on!! Oh thats right you have a BETTER idea you need ANOTHER reminder, because you did not pay attention during the last PCM, TW, ODS or friendly reminder the management team gave you. Remember this, if you put something in the DIAD you have to take something out its only got so much memory......Maybe we should hire the second year computer student to train you on METHODS 010111010010...............
Here is another novel idea: Why don't I spend billions on new p.a.s system and then watch my overpaid management team consisting of failed drivers do their best to screw it up on a daily basis? YOUR people make excuses and justify every shortcut they take. Halfassed attempts at training, numbers fudging, contract violations, and the ever popular preload vs. onroad. Rush the $9/hour loaders out, give the $28/hour driver a garbage load, then whine about poor performance by the no-good drivers. I will continue to do a good job in spite of your poor efforts though, because I know the importance of service. My customers pay my salary, not you.

LastBest&Final

To Endeavor To Persevere

Maybe he should have named this tread "HELP ME TO HELP YOU," instead of "Why?". If someone reads his ideas and implements it that would make everyone's job a little easier and maybe more efficient. Make UPS run better is in everyones best interest.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Here is another novel idea: Why don't I spend billions on new p.a.s system and then watch my overpaid management team consisting of failed drivers do their best to screw it up on a daily basis? YOUR people make excuses and justify every shortcut they take. Halfassed attempts at training, numbers fudging, contract violations, and the ever popular preload vs. onroad. Rush the $9/hour loaders out, give the $28/hour driver a garbage load, then whine about poor performance by the no-good drivers. I will continue to do a good job in spite of your poor efforts though, because I know the importance of service. My customers pay my salary, not you.

Scooby hits on a good point. Each individual operation is managed as an independent business or entity. Each manager only worried about their little piece of the business. Problem being in the end the finished product is often adversely affected. As he or she eluded, one faction may look great on paper on a given day, but reality plays out in sub par numbers in another. All to often individual variables are isolated and dwelled on while the "Big Picture" is lost in the process.

Ms.PacMan

Remember this, if you put something in the DIAD you have to take something out its only got so much memory.....
Same with us.
The amount of things I have to remember has become nearly impossible.

If you were anything other than a sycophant you would voice an idea or two to improve operations.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I forgot all my safety acronyms and slogans. Guess I will have to wait for it to become a flavor of the month again !!

Just like scanned barcodes, toting smalls, idling times, on-road exceptions, safety, a.m. time, lunch, appearance, service crosses, chained back doors, perfect service mondays, Operation zero days (accidents,injuries), delivering damaged packages, etc.

I think we need more months in a year !!!:happy-very: