Will I ever get to be a driver?

542thruNthru

They ate going under. Amazon is going to buy them. I've seen the paperwork

WTF?
2017_12_06_20_45_42.gif

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
So I went to talk to my center manager the other day because back before peak I was told I could go to school around March and from there on possibly drive on some saturdays to get some time in. Well now it’s almost March and now we have 10 drivers laid off at the moment just sitting at home. I’m not even next in line to drive seniority wise either but close (3rd?). My question is, is UPS really struggling THAT bad? I mean doesn’t everyone order online nowadays? I’ve almost been with UPS for 2 years and just transferred to a different center because I heard it is easier to become a driver at the new center I’m at. Now I’m just wondering how much longer it’s going to be....
6 years and you will drive

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
So I went to talk to my center manager the other day because back before peak I was told I could go to school around March and from there on possibly drive on some saturdays to get some time in. Well now it’s almost March and now we have 10 drivers laid off at the moment just sitting at home. I’m not even next in line to drive seniority wise either but close (3rd?). My question is, is UPS really struggling THAT bad? I mean doesn’t everyone order online nowadays? I’ve almost been with UPS for 2 years and just transferred to a different center because I heard it is easier to become a driver at the new center I’m at. Now I’m just wondering how much longer it’s going to be....
Some areas of the country people wait 10+ years to drive. Depending on where you are, that could be the case. Being here for 2 years you should know by know seniority rules. And regards to the layoffs. HR simply kept too many seasonal drivers on from peak. You just have to put pay your dues and wait.

CoolStoryBro

Perhaps they were talking about saturday air or some other part time utility or cover driver position?

The package car position you want isn't an option in the new contract. First you have to take a 22.4 driver position before you have an opportunity to become a regular package car driver.

My opinion is that this is a terrible time to try to become a UPS driver unless you are 18 and have years to waste waiting.

PT Car Washer

Perhaps they were talking about saturday air or some other part time utility or cover driver position?

The package car position you want isn't an option in the new contract. First you have to take a 22.4 driver position before you have an opportunity to become a regular package car driver.

My opinion is that this is a terrible time to try to become a UPS driver unless you are 18 and have years to waste waiting.
My building is training several FT delivery drivers right now.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Absolutely not true.

You might not win a bid for a RPCD job (because of seniority) but, it's not a

contractual requirement you have to be a 22.4 first.

I started driving FT my 1st day.

You're old. :biggrin:

Worst thing the Union ever did was agree to PT workers.

Originally, they weren't even called part-time. They were "student" workers.

In the Central, they weren't even considered "gainfully employed" but when showing

for work.... were guaranteed 3 1/2 hours of work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm my center they're still training new drivers.. everybody works. Took me 10 months for a full time driving position.

In my Local, the company waived the 6 month employment requirement because

they couldn't get enough drivers.... and the street hires weren't applying.

We won’t have 22.4s in the foreseeable future. We will have many retirees once the contract is in effect. No, 22.4 are not a requirement before becoming a RPCD.