Will I ever get to be a driver?

Walk88

Our center manager says we lost 30% in our center due to Amazon shipping directly to post office.laid off since end of peak with no driving in sight till April. It's tough not working, my family can't sustain this much longer. I was hired off the street in August full time. I've been laid off more than I've worked. Very tough, sometimes I think it was a huge mistake. If you can manage being laid off and weather the storm it should be worth it. Not so in my case.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Our center manager says we lost 30% in our center due to Amazon shipping directly to post office.laid off since end of peak with no driving in sight till April. It's tough not working, my family can't sustain this much longer. I was hired off the street in August full time. I've been laid off more than I've worked. Very tough, sometimes I think it was a huge mistake. If you can manage being laid off and weather the storm it should be worth it. Not so in my case.
Here’s a few ideas :

Try showing up every day in uniform and trying to get drivers to take days off. Be willing and eager to go out on the blind. You’d be surprised at guys that will take days off, especially Fridays. This is very easy to do if you live near your center.

Talk to management about working part time shifts, if you’re not already doing so. The local sort is best as it would allow you to work driving if an opportunity arose a day here or a day there. Working P/T shifts could possibly help with pension credits, think long term. This may also help with health care benefits in the short term.

If your local covers multiple buildings you could potentially bump into a building or center that has lower seniority employees working. It may be worth a lengthy commute to get work short term.

Attend union meetings and talk to your BA and stewards about other potential options.

Hang in there!

File for unemployment?

Walk88

I have filed for unemployment. The problem is being hired as a full time driver and actually working as a full time driver. In our area I was never told by HR or center manager that I would be on layoff for an extended period of time. Was told by center manager that it would be periodically. Day here, day there. Nothing like what it is. I left a pretty good job and benefits believing false information that I was told by management. My fault for falling for it. We currently have anywhere from 10-18 drivers laid per week.

PT Car Washer

Absolutely not true.

You might not win a bid for a RPCD job (because of seniority) but, it's not a

contractual requirement you have to be a 22.4 first.

You're old. :biggrin:

Originally, they weren't even called part-time. They were "student" workers.

In the Central, they weren't even considered "gainfully employed" but when showing

for work.... were guaranteed 3 1/2 hours of work.
Absolutely not true.

You might not win a bid for a RPCD job (because of seniority) but, it's not a

contractual requirement you have to be a 22.4 first.

You're old. :biggrin:

Originally, they weren't even called part-time. They were "student" workers.

In the Central, they weren't even considered "gainfully employed" but when showing

for work.... were guaranteed 3 1/2 hours of work.
When I started we had a 3 hour guarantee. Central Region.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have filed for unemployment. The problem is being hired as a full time driver and actually working as a full time driver. In our area I was never told by HR or center manager that I would be on layoff for an extended period of time. Was told by center manager that it would be periodically. Day here, day there. Nothing like what it is. I left a pretty good job and benefits believing false information that I was told by management. My fault for falling for it. We currently have anywhere from 10-18 drivers laid per week.

Do you pay union dues?

KOG72

I’m full of it
Live and learn those management scum will tell you anything during peak season

Dough99

79F58472-CE81-4256-BB24-BA4DC62B187A.jpeg

UrFellowUpser

Better start learning some routes buddy and go out in the blind to learn them. Thats what i had to do my first year now im in my third year and know almost all the routes in the country. I never go home now even when im laid off for two to three days straight i pluck off routes from drivers that i know that want to go home.

CalDrvr06

Took me 7years to drive saturdays... then another 1.5 to go full time. Make sure u make that 30days probation on the first go around. When I tell people I waited almost 9 yeas u should see there face lol. (Started in 2006)

Walk88

It takes time alright. Like the 2 minutes they could take out of their day to call you with next week's PT schedule. Wait all day and call at 9 pm and they tell you " oh, you are fully laid off and can't even bump back to PT". Thankfully I called because UPS doesn't care about who gets informed. Totally don't care about what employees they have. It's amazing the revolving door of employees

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
It takes time alright. Like the 2 minutes they could take out of their day to call you with next week's PT schedule. Wait all day and call at 9 pm and they tell you " oh, you are fully laid off and can't even bump back to PT". Thankfully I called because UPS doesn't care about who gets informed. Totally don't care about what employees they have. It's amazing the revolving door of employees
I’d highly recommend becoming very familiar with the portions of your supplement that contain language about bumping to P/T and what rights you have once friend/T seniority is obtained. If you think there is language that isn’t being adhered to then get with a steward or BA and start filing. They’ll start caring about who gets informed once you start sending paper there way.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You sound like your verklempt