Will I ever get to be a driver?

RolloTony Brown Town

Perhaps they were talking about saturday air or some other part time utility or cover driver position?

The package car position you want isn't an option in the new contract. First you have to take a 22.4 driver position before you have an opportunity to become a regular package car driver.

My opinion is that this is a terrible time to try to become a UPS driver unless you are 18 and have years to waste waiting.

I think it depends on how driven you are. For instance, if some of the employees took it upon themselves to get their class A then they could put themselves in a position to have the best job at ups.

RolloTony Brown Town

Seniority. UPS will train you.

Seniority makes feeders an option. Ups will train you if you get your pernot. What happens when they still need more people? Happens every year. Every summer and fall.

If you are a PT employee and can manage to get your cdl A then ups will pull you into feeders when they need you, if you want to. In a larger facility you could find yourself with a ft job when it’s all said and done. Will you get bumped to package or inside if jobs are cut or senior drivers get their license? Yup, but because you had the skill already you can get a ft job, get feeder experience, and all without seniority. And every year that they need vacation coverage and peak help you can be back in feeders.

trickpony1

Seniority. UPS will train you.

Within the last week I've read that our government is going to make it much harder to get a CDL. There will be much more training involved.

People are rushing to get their CDL.

If the OP can figure out a way to get his CDL outside of UPS, it may be to his benefit.

I didn't save the link and I'm not gonna google it but it was on Facebook newsfeed.

Good luck.

Seniority makes feeders an option. Ups will train you if you get your pernot. What happens when they still need more people? Happens every year. Every summer and fall.

If you are a PT employee and can manage to get your cdl A then ups will pull you into feeders when they need you, if you want to. In a larger facility you could find yourself with a ft job when it’s all said and done. Will you get bumped to package or inside if jobs are cut or senior drivers get their license? Yup, but because you had the skill already you can get a ft job, get feeder experience, and all without seniority. And every year that they need vacation coverage and peak help you can be back in feeders.
Doesn’t work that way here. They must go through the bid list first. Part time employees can sign up for the bid also. After all ft employees are exhausted from the list, it then goes to part timers by seniority. After that then off the street hires. I guess then a cdl would be beneficial.

RolloTony Brown Town

Doesn’t work that way here. They must go through the bid list first. Part time employees can sign up for the bid also. After all ft employees are exhausted from the list, it then goes to part timers by seniority. After that then off the street hires. I guess then a cdl would be beneficial.

There’s always a need during peak. They would get pulled into driving ahead of any casuals being trained. To be clear, I never said seniority doesn’t matter, just that there are ways to get into driving and put yourself in a position to be driving. There are locals that will help these pt’ers get their license. Too many pt’ers that just don’t want to put in the effort.

There’s always a need during peak. They would get pulled into driving ahead of any casuals being trained. To be clear, I never said seniority doesn’t matter, just that there are ways to get into driving and put yourself in a position to be driving. There are locals that will help these pt’ers get their license. Too many pt’ers that just don’t want to put in the effort.
They don’t do that for package. Why would they do that for feeder?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Perhaps they were talking about saturday air or some other part time utility or cover driver position?

The package car position you want isn't an option in the new contract. First you have to take a 22.4 driver position before you have an opportunity to become a regular package car driver.

My opinion is that this is a terrible time to try to become a UPS driver unless you are 18 and have years to waste waiting.
If you’re 18 the chances of package car driver existing as a job in 40 years is pretty slim
In my opinion