Work Injury

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
UPS and the Union worked together to create an Art 22.3 job for her. This job cannot be bid on and will be dissolved when she is no longer with the company.
Evenin Upstate

That was my point exactly. They have done it in the past, but there is a real reluctance to do it again. The only exception to that here was the driver that went 22.3, but had to take the large cut in pay to be able to drop down to that job. As far as "creating" a full time job, Im glad there are places where the union and company can get together and do the right thing. But it is becoming more and more rare.

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thats all good and nice. But that seniority right does not mean UPS has to provide you with a job, now does it. IF you can no longer do what your job classification demands you do, then they dont have to make a job for you. Yes, if there is a job you can do, and you have the seniority to bid that job, you have every right. But what good is your seniority if UPS does not have a job you can do that you could bid on.

Seniority only works if you can work.

As far as treating you with respect to your age and condition, how far are you thinking UPS will stretch that language? To the point of creating thousands of jobs just for the crippled employees? Not as long as the union will not budge on the bidding process, which includes seniority issues, nothing changes.

d

There is always work available at UPS. Look at some of the jobs, then look at the people HIRED to do the work and MADE 30 days.

Some real winners (a-hem)

Do not tell me that someone who was afflicted with a workplace injury that can be well-recovered from, reasonably mobile to do the work, cannot find work at UPS. That is simply not true.

It is having to shuffle the deck, so to speak, the little special arrangements/deals, is what the co and union wants to avoid. And of course risk of future injuries.

menotyou

bella amicizia
No. I'm not even sure what that is. I'm full time. That's all I know. I have a route waiting for me.

What's going on with you?

menotyou

bella amicizia
No. I am still on comp. I believe April 4 is when I get the release as that is my next doctor's appt. Not sure what restrictions they will be giving me. Trying to get more time for work-hardening, but, I think my case manager at Liberty thinks I have done all I can.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Aren't 22.3's two part time jobs lumped together to make one full time? I would be willing to do anything. I just want to work. I hate sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Did you get your accident report filed, yet?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There is always work available at UPS. Look at some of the jobs, then look at the people HIRED to do the work and MADE 30 days.
Yup, but the story does not stop there. How many get promoted after that 30 days......
Some real winners (a-hem)

Do not tell me that someone who was afflicted with a workplace injury that can be well-recovered from, reasonably mobile to do the work, cannot find work at UPS. That is simply not true.
I did not say there is not a job they cant do. I said UPS will not normally create a job for them. If there is a job, someone is currently doing it. Which means they will have to lose their job to allow the injured employee the work. If the seniority is there, normally its not an issue. But what happens if the employee does not have the seniority, do we just do it anyway? The answer is no.
It is having to shuffle the deck, so to speak, the little special arrangements/deals, is what the co and union wants to avoid. And of course risk of future injuries.
Special deals between the union and company.......Nice in theory, but sets the stage for setting precident for every other employee. Not something I see UPS ever allowing. Also, I believe that the contract prohibits "special deals".........

In the past, I have seen UPS do wonderful things for injured employees. Had one that lost his arm due to a cycle accident off the clock. They bought him a new mechanical arm (this was back when they cost a fortune, and insurance didnt cover it). But I have also seen them cut all ties and let Liberty settle what it felt like. Basically, we hired you do do this job, you can no longer do it, so good bye.

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Special deals between the union and company.......Nice in theory, but sets the stage for setting precident for every other employee. Not something I see UPS ever allowing. Also, I believe that the contract prohibits "special deals".........

In the past, I have seen UPS do wonderful things for injured employees. Had one that lost his arm due to a cycle accident off the clock. They bought him a new mechanical arm (this was back when they cost a fortune, and insurance didnt cover it). But I have also seen them cut all ties and let Liberty settle what it felt like. Basically, we hired you do do this job, you can no longer do it, so good bye.

d

you don't think side-deal making goes on? Man, come to our local, it is the wild-west between co and union - anything goes, contract or not.

I called the union hall Monday, left my phone number and what happened at work, NO RESPONSE from any representative @union, including President.

It goes to show you whos side the union are on and what they really care about ( earlier in the thread I talked about this, so it is not an eye opening experience or anything)

you don't think side-deal making goes on? Man, come to our local, it is the wild-west between co and union - anything goes, contract or not.

I called the union hall Monday, left my phone number and what happened at work, NO RESPONSE from any representative @union, including President.

It goes to show you whos side the union are on and what they really care about ( earlier in the thread I talked about this, so it is not an eye opening experience or anything)
are you back to work ?

cewa

i was injured on the job 18 months ago ups say i am not allowed to come back until i am 100%then liberty mutual mutual offer me a buyout settlement $220000

Re-Raise

i was injured on the job 18 months ago ups say i am not allowed to come back until i am 100%then liberty mutual mutual offer me a buyout settlement $220000

A onetime payout or a structured annuity spread out over many years? What is your injury and prognosis?