Working inside a Mall

AndrewK

Any tips on what it's like working inside a mall? I've been on local sort for about a year and a half now. I passed my road test and ups driving school 6 months ago..and will soon be starting a mall route, just before peak season. Any tips or general info based off experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
You'll most likely be working outside the mall. Back door deliveries and such. Not as much time inside checking out all the hotties shopping as you might think. Good luck.

Brisket

Any tips on what it's like working inside a mall? I've been on local sort for about a year and a half now. I passed my road test and ups driving school 6 months ago..and will soon be starting a mall route, just before peak season. Any tips or general info based off experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Get acquainted with the security guards, and maintenance people, they can be a huge help.
Most certainly learn the back hallway access doors, once you know those, you are set.

AndrewK

Thanks for the tips fellas..if for whatever reason this gig doesnt work out, do I lose my local sort job or do they give me the option to go back and work

Rack em

Made the Podium
Make sure you pay attention to the best places to park when you’re being trained. Mall (wannabe) cops can be a PITA when you park in the wrong spots.
Mall security or any meter maid....when they threaten to write me a ticket I tell them to go ahead, the vehicle is registered to Ups. One time my back bumper was maybe 4 inches in the red curb and the guy wanted me to pull forward.

brostalss

Malls can be tricky. Get to know the docks. What times other trucks aren't taking the spot you need. Back hallways. Elevators if there is one. Who does and doesn't answer the back door to their stores.

A good working hand cart that holds lots of boxes. You know all those gift boxes stores give out at Christmas? Guess who delivers those? You do.

Thanks for the tips fellas..if for whatever reason this gig doesnt work out, do I lose my local sort job or do they give me the option to go back and work
If you are DQed from driving you go back to your former sort. Can't guarantee you will go back to your former job or area but they will find a job for you. Try again in a year. A lot of guys don't qualify the first time around.

AndrewK

If you are DQed from driving you go back to your former sort. Can't guarantee you will go back to your former job or area but they will find a job for you. Try again in a year. A lot of guys don't qualify the first time around.
Dont qualify from the mall route or an actual residental/business route?

AndrewK

Have you been thru your 30 day qualification period yet? Is the mall route a training route or are you going to be seasonal?

I've never been on the road as of yet. I've been classified as local sort my whole time at UPS thus far. I really have no idea whether it is a training route or seasonal. I'd assume training because I applied for full time driver position a year ago and passed the tests for it?

AndrewK

Wait... they are making a mall route a training route? That doesn't sound right.

Long story short I've been held working the local sort shift 6 months since passing ups driving school. I just got a call today that I'll be delivering in the mall starting next week. I'd assume that's considered training, is it not? Unless there lieing to me and just making me do the mall come peak season then throwing me back to local sort? Idk then again that doesn't seem right because I initially applied to become a driver

Long story short I've been held working the local sort shift 6 months since passing ups driving school. I just got a call today that I'll be delivering in the mall starting next week. I'd assume that's considered training, is it not? Unless there lieing to me and just making me do the mall come peak season then throwing me back to local sort? Idk then again that doesn't seem right because I initially applied to become a driver
Too early for seasonal drivers so yes it does sound like a training route.

542thruNthru

I could be wrong and don't want to rain on your parade but it sounds like you'll be a seasonal driver. It's about to be peak season for malls. They always start getting a ton of merchandise before the real season. Also mall #s are usually pretty bad because they don't get many miles and it takes a while to deliver each stop. So it would be hard to qualify.

Again I could be wrong. Good luck man.