sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I've come to truly treasure my vacation weeks. Even if I don't plan on doing anything special, it's just a nice relief to finally make it there and have a week where I don't have to get up early, or call in, or anything. Just turn my phone off, and enjoy myself from day to day doing whatever I want paying no mind whatsoever to the clock.

No way in hell I would give that week up.

A little known section in some supplements is that if your vacation is during a holiday (like Memorial Day coming up) you can opt another unpaid day off.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My wife's company actually encourages her to take her allotted time off so she won't burn out at her level. She does get a lot of time. Although she has the option to either roll hers over for next year or trade any unused days for stock.
They only let them work if they are really short handed. They pick vacation just like we do. In October for the whole next year.

The weeks were recently reduced from 10 to 8 though.

BuryMeInCardboard

Over-allowed and proud
For me vacation means vacation. Years ago when I covered I was so low on the list with all the other cover drivers that 7 of us got forced our option picks for the same week. It was awesome when my center would have like 5-10 book-offs those weeks. I've had numerous voice mails left for me; but would never return calls or pick up. When I'm off; I'm off. We all earn it; enjoy it.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
A little known section in some supplements is that if your vacation is during a holiday (like Memorial Day coming up) you can opt another unpaid day off.

My favorite vacation of each year was to take off the week of thanksgiving, and opt the holiday Thursday and Friday for the previous Thursday and Friday. That gave me 11 days off heading into peak. Right when it really counted.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
99% of the time employees work their vacation is because they need the extra income or the boss begs them to help out because of one crises or another. It is the employees option to work his vacation or not.

I tend to look the other way with a part timer that I know is having trouble making ends meet on $300/week.

I get incredibly irritated when it's a part timer making $20+/hour that goes home voluntarily 2-3 days a week.

There's very little excuse for a feeder or package car driver to work a vacation and it allows the company to create fewer full-time positions.

wayfair

swollen member
I'm on vacation the next two weeks. Requested an 8 hr for tomorrow and they gave me the day off. Colorado, here I come!
they didn't want to screw with you loops driver's with all the extra work, so they offered you the day so the cover guy gets screwed to help out the others in you loop...

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
if the company and the driver agree than it's really none of anybodies business...

upload_2016-5-19_22-59-5.png

By The Book

if the company and the driver agree than it's really none of anybodies business...
If there's contract language that states you can't work on vacation......then it is someone's business. No extra contract agreements are usually written into the contracts. Your thoughts?

PT Car Washer

I tend to look the other way with a part timer that I know is having trouble making ends meet on $300/week.

I get incredibly irritated when it's a part timer making $20+/hour that goes home voluntarily 2-3 days a week.

There's very little excuse for a feeder or package car driver to work a vacation and it allows the company to create fewer full-time positions.
I understand and appreciate your views on working your vacation. Most of the employees working their vacation need the extra cash either FT or PT. I have not seen a PTer making $20 or $30/hr take off during the week and then want to work his vacation. Just my experience. Most times when a FT driver comes in to work a vacation day it is because management begs because "we have nobody else".

By The Book

I don't look the other way, I dont want to give them an angle for a past practice. I would be laughed out of the building.