Working over 10 hours

tacken

It has been said. that working more than 8 hours. We become less productive. So why UPS would you have drivers work 12 hours? When all you preach is safety first.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It has been said. that working more than 8 hours. We become less productive. So why UPS would you have drivers work 12 hours? When all you preach is safety first.
It's cheaper to work us hours 8-12 than it is 1-8. They can afford production to be less.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In my center you would get spoken to.
image.jpg

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Because even if you work at a reduced pace after 8 hours, it's still cheaper than putting another driver on road and trying to find him his 8. Your stop count early in the day will be higher earlier in the day as well, essentially making you break even when all is factored in.

JL 0513

A 12 hour day would never happen in my center, even on December 23rd. They go up in arms at 11 hrs. Our days average 9 - 9.5. Over 10 once in a while.

One thing about this type of business is that it has to operate on a mandatory overtime model. One of the reasons being is that we are guarateed 8. So if they planned 8 and we finish in 7.5, UPS has a costly problem. The other main reason is that overtime for existing drivers does indeed cost less than more drivers (with health care and pension) and PC's on the road.

It's also the reality of an up and down business with differing volume each day. Can't over hire too much to cover the heaviest days because when the lightest days come, how many drivers will agree to stay home or how many will face layoffs?

Ironically, we have high union wages and bennies to thank for a lot of our overtime. If you took away the pension, you'd see more drivers/routes.