Working Sundays

Saddle Crook

I work at the Saddle Brook facility in New Jersey and last August 1st we stasrted working on Sundays instead of Fridays. This totally sucks!! does anyone know anything about this or how long it is supposed to last? the attendance is horrible. no one like working on Sundays. and no it is a regular work day no overtime.

thanks a bunch

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I work at the Saddle Brook facility in New Jersey and last August 1st we stasrted working on Sundays instead of Fridays. This totally sucks!! does anyone know anything about this or how long it is supposed to last? the attendance is horrible. no one like working on Sundays. and no it is a regular work day no overtime.

thanks a bunch

Uh, have you asked your mgt team?

brownedout

What shift do you work? And what time(s) are you working Sunday, rest of the week? I'm just up the parkway @ SV NY, in the early '90's while a preloader we worked Saturdays for a stretch, instead of Monday. The loads were already there. Since I was on again off again with a hairstylist and she was off Mondays it made sense, plus we were the Saturday air drivers anyway, so we in fact had our 2 day weekend. Sundays, however. Yeah I could see where that would totally suck! Welcome to the cafe.

Saddle Crook

What shift do you work? And what time(s) are you working Sunday, rest of the week? I'm just up the parkway @ SV NY, in the early '90's while a preloader we worked Saturdays for a stretch, instead of Monday. The loads were already there. Since I was on again off again with a hairstylist and she was off Mondays it made sense, plus we were the Saturday air drivers anyway, so we in fact had our 2 day weekend. Sundays, however. Yeah I could see where that would totally suck! Welcome to the cafe.

oh jeez we start at 7 or so and work for approx. 5 hrs. mon-thur 11 pm to 3 am approx.

JonFrum

Check your Supplement.

Here in New England, for example . . .

Article 47 - Maintenance of Standards, (and general collective bargaining principles) establishes that changing your workweek is something that must be bargained over. Did your Local Union bargain and agree to it?

Article 50 - Payroll Period, establishes that the week runs Sunday to Saturday.

Article 60 establishes Sunday is a time-and-one-half day, (except for certain part-timers during Peak.)

Article 66 - Hours of Work and Overtime, establishes, among other things, that Sunday is not part of the regular 5-day consecutive workweek.

It may be that UPS can not give you a different start time for one day of the week unless it is an extra day, beyond your normal five.

bluehdmc

I'm a North Jersey Feeder driver, the daysort in Parsippany has been Sun-Thurs for years. The Sunday sort in Saddle Brook started last Aug, went back to Mon-Fri for peak, (something about attendance problems). The Sunday sort during peak was done by the the twilight sort. After New Years they went back to the nite sort working Sunday. I can understand the why the OP thinks it sucks (and the attendance problem). Mon-Thurs they start at 11pm or so, on Sundays it's 7pm, (gee during football season wonder why there was an attendance problem?). Most of the feeder jobs that run Sun-Thurs have different start times on Sunday, sometimes 4 or more hours earlier than you Mon start time.
Better get use to it though, I think it's here to stay. Like Old International said, only trouble is when Mon is a holiday. Then there really seems to be a lot of absenteeims.

bluehdmc

Check your Supplement.

Here in New England, for example . . .

Article 47 - Maintenance of Standards, (and general collective bargaining principles) establishes that changing your workweek is something that must be bargained over. Did your Local Union bargain and agree to it?

Article 50 - Payroll Period, establishes that the week runs Sunday to Saturday.

Article 60 establishes Sunday is a time-and-one-half day, (except for certain part-timers during Peak.)

Article 66 - Hours of Work and Overtime, establishes, among other things, that Sunday is not part of the regular 5-day consecutive workweek.

It may be that UPS can not give you a different start time for one day of the week unless it is an extra day, beyond your normal five.

Our supplement is different, not sure of the exact articles and too lazy to look them up. Basically this was bargained for years ago. Our payroll runs Sun-Sat, Sunday can be part of the regular work week, so straight time pay. If you are not scheduled to work Sunday and get called in, (extra work during peak or overflow/absenteeism) then it's double-time.