Worst CEO Ever?

bbsam

Staff member
I agree but we are in a private sector union. Our wages, benefits and pension are not dependant upon taxpayer dollars but upon the ability of the company to generate a profit on an annual basis. As a taxpayer, especially a New York taxpayer, I have an issue with public sector unions.

Is your issue with them that you think they should not exist?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I agree but we are in a private sector union. Our wages, benefits and pension are not dependant upon taxpayer dollars but upon the ability of the company to generate a profit on an annual basis. As a taxpayer, especially a New York taxpayer, I have an issue with public sector unions.

You should have a problem with the management of those unions. They are fat, greedy bastards who don't care about the people they represent. And before anyone else can chime in(islandfox), Those fat, lazy, greedy bastards aren't just in the public sector unions- we know. That is a subject for a different thread.
Its fine to have a problem with the debt of NY, but were the unions alone at the bargaining table? I think not.
Scott Davis and Walker wish the unions would go away. UPS isn't thinking, "oh gee, we made 15 billion dollars this quarter, so we love the Teamsters this quarter."

island1fox

If indeed Gov. Walker really did give out tax breaks to political friends and businesses, and in part used Wisconsins pending deficit in 2013 to go after the unions, could one not say that in fact Walker, his friends and business were trying to "rig the game". Remember, in NASCAR, it's the cheater that doesn't get caught that wins.:happy2:

bbsam,
Many people look at the same thing and see it differently. It has become obvious that states that attract business have less unemployed and end up with more tax revenue.
Look at Ill. the Dem gov just raised taxes. Caterpillar with 23000 jobs is now considering a move --possibly Wisconsin.
Cheating ?? Or Making the tough calls to benefit all -not just the Union Dem unit.

The Democrats that ran out of State to protect the unions certainly would not be the people that I would want representing me at the bargaining table on how they are going to spend MY money.

As a shareowner I am glad that we have "two" different interests groups that negotiate the UPS contracts.
Although you do not see it -that process protects both sides with a fair contract for the workers and a viable company for the shareowners that also insures job security for the people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should have a problem with the management of those unions. They are fat, greedy bastards who don't care about the people they represent. And before anyone else can chime in(islandfox), Those fat, lazy, greedy bastards aren't just in the public sector unions- we know. That is a subject for a different thread.
Its fine to have a problem with the debt of NY, but were the unions alone at the bargaining table? I think not.
Scott Davis and Walker wish the unions would go away. UPS isn't thinking, "oh gee, we made 15 billion dollars this quarter, so we love the Teamsters this quarter."

If UPS and the Teamsters did part ways, this would lower operating costs, which would in turn lower shipping costs, which would in turn lower revenue and which would then result in roughly the same profit level.

island1fox

Who do you think will be the next CEO?

I believe the next CEO will be the Management person who is currently in charge of International. But M.G. will be a strong minority candidate-possible the first black UPS CEO if the restructuring continues to show positive results.

bbsam

Staff member
bbsam,
Many people look at the same thing and see it differently. It has become obvious that states that attract business have less unemployed and end up with more tax revenue.
Look at Ill. the Dem gov just raised taxes. Caterpillar with 23000 jobs is now considering a move --possibly Wisconsin.
Cheating ?? Or Making the tough calls to benefit all -not just the Union Dem unit.

The Democrats that ran out of State to protect the unions certainly would not be the people that I would want representing me at the bargaining table on how they are going to spend MY money.

As a shareowner I am glad that we have "two" different interests groups that negotiate the UPS contracts.
Although you do not see it -that process protects both sides with a fair contract for the workers and a viable company for the shareowners that also insures job security for the people.

As an Illinois resident, I can say with certainty that Cat has alway gotten very sweet deals from this state. Will probably continue. The "take-away" will be given back in other ways. Cat's letter to Quinn is a bargaining chip.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
bbsam,

I look at the Democrats fleeing Wisconsin and basically going on strike because of lack of negotiations. Teamsters struck UPS when the company quit negotiating and threw down their Last, best and final offer. An offer that was drafted long before I'm sure.

island1fox

Well then I take it that you do see that certain things have got to be done to KEEP 23,000 jobs in ILL --is the Gov CHEATING ??

bbsam

Staff member
Well then I take it that you do see that certain things have got to be done to KEEP 23,000 jobs in ILL --is the Gov CHEATING ??
Oh, hell yeah, he's cheating! Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the third indicted former governor we've had. I'm not one to suggest that politics is cleaner than NASCAR!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There is a huge difference between public sector Unions and private sector unions.

The UPS driver actually produces more than he costs the company, thereby allowing the company a profit.

The public sector employee produces something of value, but he demands more and more of the budget, while at the same time, doing less and less. A good case in point, we had some snow and ice this winter. All last summer, they put in reflectors up the roads and interstates. Even without snow or ice, they were plowing the road, scraping up layers of asphalt, and tens of thousands of the reflectors. Not only that, they did tremendous equipment damage.

So, not only did we pay them a ton of overtime, but now we get to spend millions on equipment and road repairs. Damage that was caused by the very same group that now get to do the repairs.

Now, not all that is their fault. Teachers are a good example.

One of the biggest frauds forced on the educational system is the "no child left behind" program begun by madam Bush. While it sounds wonderful, and the original intent honorable, the prostituted version that made it to main street actually sets the learning curve back.

Take the daughter of one of our drivers. Went to school and got her degree in teaching. One of her first assignments was teaching 3rd grade. Problem is that one of the students, a daughter of a Japanese employee at a drug research company, does not know the first english word, and her father would not allow her to try. So this teacher now has to develop a study plan for this girl in Japanese, one for some of the other kids in spanish, and the rest get what is left over in english. How does this plan help further education in this country?

Add to that the fact that there are thousands if not tens of thousands of instructors that only teach part time hours, but pull down 6 figure incomes or more. Some over a million, all because they have tenure.

Also, there is a 2 year welding program here that is taught post high school. It will give you a master welder certificate.

So why is it that you have to have 2 more years of english and literature, but dont need any additional math for the certificate?

So there are some very serious things wrong with our educational system.

d

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Is it possible to cheer Scott Walker but have disdain for Scott Davis?

First They came... - Pastor Martin Niemoller
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

TREBOR462

The worst CEO of UPS was Jim Kelly, hands down. he caused the 1997 strike by trying to take away the pension and cost UPS $650,000,000.00 and I don't know how many customers. The guy was a disgrace to the brown uniform.