Worst part of contract

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
UPS79 Yea, I'm in 710. I think 9.5 language is weak/worthless. I agree the pay increases are measley but we wanted pension and insurance a priority BUT I don't see any improvement in either. Our pension has remained the same for the last 2 contracts and this will be the 3rd. Meanwhile UPS makes a BILLION DOLLARS IN PROFIT every quarter. How about more 8 hour requests permonth, how about our optional week being able to be taken as days?

I could be wrong, but I thought somebody pointed out in a different post that there is already language in the current contract that allows UPS to divert gwi to the pension and H&W. Am I mistaken?

bear123

i really don't like the split raises. we are not getting the full amount every year. you only get the full amount for half of the year. we need the full a .70 cents on august 1st not half then and half later.:crying:

What disturbs me is why they are doing this in the first place. If UPS was in the red or close to it, I could see why. But the company made 4 billion in profits last year and will do so or even make more than 4 billion this year.

chevyman

bear123, UPS is not in the red. The Central States fund that UPS contributes to in behalf of its employees is in the red ( i've seen estimates around 47% or 50%). UPS wants to be relieved of having to contribute to that plan because it is a multi-employer pension fund. A fund that for every dollar paid into that fund only 40 cents actually goes to a UPS employee. The other 60 cents goes to support say retirees whose company has been out of business for 5,10, or 20 years. By making a one- time dump into the CS fund UPS can walk away. From that point on UPS never has to pay into that fund again and gets to create a new fund for its own employees. I do disagree with some of these other posts because we have already had our meeting at our union hall. They way they explained it if this contract passes you will receive one check from the new plan, taking into account for all time, both part-time and full time under the CS plan. The one-time payment into the CS plan by UPS and never having to pay on behalf of its 44,000 or so members of that plan will strengthen the CS plan. Maybe others can add to the answer you are looking for.

chevyman

Here is in a nut shell is how I had it explained. If you had 20 years under CS and 10 years under the new UPS plan ( if it passes). That gives you your 30 years and you would get $3000 a month from UPS (one check). At age 65, you would get two checks, one from CS for those years and one from UPS for those years worked. If for some reason CS took another big blow and you found out there was only enough for you to get one dollar from CS, then UPS would have to come up with the other $2999.

browned_out

:confused:1 Gee, wouldn't it be great if Hoffa and Hall sent a letter out explaining all these wonderful issues, instead we have to try and decipher the secert code that it is written in. Even the people who have spoken to there local can't agree on the facts. What a nightmare, and were supposed to vote on this???? I know that our meeting with the local is coming soon, you can bet I will have alot of questions to ask.

silverfox

worst part for me is i put 31 years in this cs plan and retaired last year. i feel like i'm on a sinking ship.i don't get a vote, but can you say class action lawsuit. i put alot of years in to get screwed and so did my brothers and sisters in this union ! lets hold out for protection of our hard earned penion.

gbmp000

i really don't like the split raises. we are not getting the full amount every year. you only get the full amount for half of the year. we need the full a .70 cents on august 1st not half then and half later.:crying:
you may not get any of the second half, as the new contract says it may be used for benefits and pension, so you may as well say you wont get it.

Momo

As a Line-haul (Feeder) Driver for Baby Brown (Overnite), I would like to just see a contract period! I've been with the company for 15 years and feel now is a great time for one. Be sure to give me a wave if you see me in Memphis!

:cool:

brazenbrown

worst part for me is i put 31 years in this cs plan and retaired last year. i feel like i'm on a sinking ship.i don't get a vote, but can you say class action lawsuit. i put alot of years in to get screwed and so did my brothers and sisters in this union ! lets hold out for protection of our hard earned penion.

Hey Silverfox...put you ear to the ground....can you hear that, well, that's your pension being given a new life by the company that put up with you for too long!:w00t::w00t:

Sorry, but you're just another new registered user who I believe is spreading the usual b.s. on this forum without any real merit!

Hold out for as long as you like....Like Willie says you got to know when to fold um...!!:laugh: How's that action for your class??

Bustrbyte

Here is in a nut shell is how I had it explained. If you had 20 years under CS and 10 years under the new UPS plan ( if it passes). That gives you your 30 years and you would get $3000 a month from UPS (one check). At age 65, you would get two checks, one from CS for those years and one from UPS for those years worked. If for some reason CS took another big blow and you found out there was only enough for you to get one dollar from CS, then UPS would have to come up with the other $2999.

Not true read the contract.

The UPS/IBT Plan will recognize full-time service in the CS Plan for determining eligibility for the benefits in this section and will offset at Normal Retirement Age the benefits accrued from the CS Plan commencing at Normal Retirement Age. If the benefit paid from the CS Plan is reduced as permitted or required by law, the amount of such reduction shall not be included in this offset.

And the offset is not paid until normal retirement age, which is specified as 65 earlier in the document.

WhatsUP

Why can't UPS guarantee the Pension of us retired UPS workers that are now in the Central States Plan. I just wonder how long that 6 Billion dollars will last Central States?????

kenco80233

Several years ago,I had a union leader tell me that The union has no obligation to bargain or represent a retired union member.There only obligation is to a dues paying member.

silverfox

Hey Silverfox...put you ear to the ground....can you hear that, well, that's your pension being given a new life by the company that put up with you for too long!:w00t::w00t:

Sorry, but you're just another new registered user who I believe is spreading the usual b.s. on this forum without any real merit!

Hold out for as long as you like....Like Willie says you got to know when to fold um...!!:laugh: How's that action for your class??

i'm sorry you can't read. if you think its bs read the fine print !

speedbug

I don't think that is correct ( but I could be wrong). My take is that UPS is giving you $3000 at 30 years. Because of the changes in CS, penalties, etc, you may not get $3000 at 30 from CS. In this case, UPS would make up the difference to get you to the $3000 mark. I'm under the impression that you're still going to get 2 checks....

WATCH THE VIDEO ON WWW.TEAMSTERS.ORG