Would anyone go back for Peak?

Would anyone rehire for Peak?

• Total voters

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
I posted quote by mistake. Actually, they pulled down my stop count a bit on my last day. Had a little party in the morning at PCM. My Wife was there too. Was glad I was there for my last day. Center Manager kept telling me how lucky I was. He had 4 more years, meaning he should be about done now!

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Retired earlier this year. Just received a call from my former center wanting to know if I would be a peak hire at top pay, as they are looking for experienced drivers. After the initial shock I politely declined. (LoL) Would you?
Never . Under any terms or conditions . I would suspect Mgt. would have a gut feeling who might be tempted and those they need not even waste their time calling.

CoolStoryBro

I could see myself working one month a year after I retire. Our winters are mild here. not much snow. I own a farm I will work on when I retire. But the farm is dead in december. If you have a good helper then the day is easy anyway.

hardhead

Retired earlier this year. Just received a call from my former center wanting to know if I would be a peak hire at top pay, as they are looking for experienced drivers. After the initial shock I politely declined. (LoL) Would you?
I never heard of an inmate trying to go back to Alcatraz after they had managed to escape.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Unlike Alcatraz, you have the option of leaving at any point.

I personally find the comparison to a prison to be simple minded.
Like Alcatraz , most drivers I knew , leaving wasn't an option.
I personally find the comparison to a prison to be simply analogous ( no pun intended ) .

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have mixed feelings on this. I'll tell y'all a couple of things from the FEEDER perspective:

One guy told me this about why they come back.
"Imagine retiring, and now being able to do all that stuff you said you'd do when you retired... Well, all that takes about 8 months, then you're bored".
Lol, whatever, your mileage may vary!

Anyhow, here in CHEMA we have retirees come back every year.
When you come back as a retiree, you are a TEMP. You have no seniority, you do what you're told. (Now remember, this is Feeders, we have job changes and bids every week).
To get around this "no seniority" thing, a retiree will simply say "I will start at 6am, or I quit" or "I will only work 8 hours, or I will quit". Management is in a bad spot, because they need the drivers, so they get away with this.
As you can imagine, this causes a lot of bad feelings. Man, I'd love a 6am start, but I don't have the seniority, and neither does a temp!

On one hand, I could see myself working Peak in my retirement. On the other hand, it really shouldn't be allowed. OR allow it, but fire them if they can't abide their lack of seniority.

PS, I understand the retirees only wanting 8 hours and a 6am start time. But that is not this job.
We have a retired feeder come back every year.

How he's allowed to work over our coverage feeder that's forced back to package is beyond me.

Ms.PacMan

We have recently retired drivers working at peak. They pay them $40/hr (to compensate for no bennies). They only do resis, that they know, and get a helper. Both made it clear that even a whiff of bs and they wouldn't come back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have recently retired drivers working at peak. They pay them $40/hr (to compensate for no bennies). They only do resis, that they know, and get a helper. Both made it clear that even a whiff of bs and they wouldn't come back.

Are they allowed to work w/o affecting their regular pension payments?

raceanoncr

Retired here from feeders for, over, 7 yrs now. No, wouldn't go back.

Don't need the money, don't get bored, have too much, still, to do, weather's too crappy and unpredictable from Oct thru Dec, don't wanna deal with morons that tried to fire me everyday I was there, why would I wanna face them when I don't have to...on and on.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Retired here from feeders for, over, 7 yrs now. No, wouldn't go back.

Don't need the money, don't get bored, have too much, still, to do, weather's too crappy and unpredictable from Oct thru Dec, don't wanna deal with morons that tried to fire me everyday I was there, why would I wanna face them when I don't have to...on and on.

It took about a year or so of withdrawals from driving big rigs to finally relax and start enjoying my retirement.

I don't care if they offered me the best hours, the best truck , the best run , and even if they said we won't harass you , I wouldn't go back.

I love everyday being retired. Right now I am drinking a cup of coffee before breakfast after getting a good night's sleep. Then going to walk dogs. Maybe some yard work later or a drive out into the country on some back roads.

The idea that we can do whatever we want becomes so nice that it is almost impossible to go back to the grind.