Would you do it?

oldupsman

This is for you retirees out there. Or those thinking about it. Here in the East UPS brings in some of their retired
managers for the holiday. I have no idea how they're paid or how much.
Suppose UPS would ask you to come back in and drive for 3 or 4 weeks, would you do it?
Package or feeder, doesn't matter. Top rate, covered by insurance. Crazy as it sounds, I think I might enjoy it.
See all the guys again. Really no pressure on you. Maybe run splits, make pickups, air meets. Just come in and do a solid job
for 3 weeks and say see ya next year. Have I been retired too long or just losing my marbles? You gotta think we would
do a better job then some guy off the street for 3 weeks. Thoughts?

Leftinbuilding

Interesting hypothetical. I've only been retired for 3 years but I don't think my legs could handle it. I actually weigh less than the day I retired, and try to walk daily, but still think I would have to pass. Fun to think about.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I think I read in the upsers magazine some retired driver & his wife do that at peak. Make deliveries with a golf cart in some big community in Florida.
Sounds line a perfect gig to me

moreluck

golden ticket member
I think I read in the upsers magazine some retired driver & his wife do that at peak. Make deliveries with a golf cart in some big community in Florida.
Sounds line a perfect gig to me
Sounds like 'The Villages' to me........Florida's friendliest home town!!

W

want to retire

This is for you retirees out there. Or those thinking about it. Here in the East UPS brings in some of their retired
Suppose UPS would ask you to come back in and drive for 3 or 4 weeks, would you do it?
Package or feeder, doesn't matter. Top rate, covered by insurance. Crazy as it sounds, I think I might enjoy it.
See all the guys again. Really no pressure on you. Maybe run splits, make pickups, air meets. Just come in and do a solid job
for 3 weeks and say see ya next year. Have I been retired too long or just losing my marbles? You gotta think we would

1. Could you pass the physical?

2. Who would pay for such a physical?

3. I think the possibility of a catastrophic injury and all that possible fallout makes you too big a liability.

4. Older, slower......

5. You asked.

oldupsman

1. Could you pass the physical?

2. Who would pay for such a physical?

3. I think the possibility of a catastrophic injury and all that possible fallout makes you too big a liability.

4. Older, slower......

5. You asked.
(1,3,4)Well, since I left 5 years ago, I've lost 20 pounds and started running. Yesterday I ran 6 miles in 51 minutes. I'm in better shape now than I was when I was working there.
Knees and back don't hurt anymore. Passing the physical would be a piece of cake. Odds of me getting hurt are less than some new guy who isn't as safety aware as I am.
I might be older but I doubt I be slower. Like I said, best shape of my life.
(2)Why would I pay for the physical? Do you pay for your physical?

raceanoncr

My reply: ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?

One thing: Here during peak, is one of the worst weather seasons. Sometimes wintry hell. No thanks. Did that for too many yrs in feeders.

Nuther thing: At least in Central States, when UPS "bought out" the pension, they lifted retirement employment restrictions EXCEPT for UPS. In other words, you can drive a truck for ANY outfit you want (unlike Central States, which says you can't drive for ANYBODY) except UPS.

I'll pass. Had enough.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would--- until I heard them mutter something like "can't you go a little faster" ---which I'm sure would be about 5 minutes after I reported for work. Also --I'm sure there would be some friction between me and them because I would refuse to shut my truck off ---I don't do cold like I used too.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I always say they are bringing back the A Team when I see some of our management retirees show up. They were people I enjoyed working for and it's nice to see how retirement is treating them well.

If you kept up your CDL you would already have a physical and medical card on record, so no issues there. Most likely any retirees coming back to Feeders would be just doing CPU's or shifting nights so not very attractive work compared to the run they had before retirement.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Sure, I'd do it once. After I walked in, looked at my load and said "see ya", that would be the very last time they would see me.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UPS would never do it !

You would have to assume these drivers would be getting top rate, while they can hire more drivers for less money.

ymelord

I like your spirt, but I think you need to have your wife make that appointment, it could be the onset of alzheimer's.