years of service gifts?

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
For my 25 years of service I picked out a nice little digital camera. Then my first grandchild was born shortly after that. Now ALL I ever do is take pictures of my grandaughter like my wife tells me. I DO love that little girl and I hope she gives her mommy all the same stuff her mommy gave my wife.:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Browndog ..... my granddaughters are now teenagers. I get calls daily from my daughter about them. I just smile and say "uh huh" and when I hang the phone up I think, "God is good".

Payback's a *itch. :wink2:

Browndog ..... my granddaughters are now teenagers. I get calls daily from my daughter about them. I just smile and say "uh huh" and when I hang the phone up I think, "God is good".

Payback's a *itch. :wink2:
Key Phrase" You pay for your raisin'. I can't count the number of times my Dad told me that or the number of times I've said it to my daughter.

Over the years I have received many nice 'gifts'' for safe driving awards. Watch- 5 years SD, still wear it when not on the job. Two color TVs, a surround sound system, a nice table clock, several other nice-enough things. I know some of this stuff isn't all that great but, Hey they are free and I get paid good money for doing what I do. The bench mark year ( 5,10,15, etc) awards are better than the in between years.

OH, almost forgot. A few years ago all the 20 year service providers recieved two UPS caps with 20 years service and their names embroidered in UPS gold thread. I know it's not much, but the idea was good.
Nearly everyday at the PCM a sup gives out one or more UP$ trinkets( water bottles, caps, tshirts) for people caught doing something right involving safety. Again, it's not much but a nice thought that at least recognizes something positive.

Big Babooba

15-20 years ago when I started driving the awards were a lot nicer. We could get shotguns but now UPS is too politically correct. God forbid they are associated with firearms!!
Maybe they got nervous from all the Postal Service incidents. After all, you can't be too cautious.:biting:

Steward773

I have been at UPS for 15 years come July 29th and I have NEVER received a service award of any kind. I have seen other people receive service awards for as litle as 3 years but I still have yet to receive anything.

What's up cement. My 15 years is in may, I'm not expecting anything. Hey... maybe the company is putting money down every year on one of those motorized wheelchairs for when we retire...:laughing:. I think that years of service awards start at 20, and safe driving awards are every year (you get to pick from the MFina catalog)

UPS Lifer

I went for the ring at 25 - 30 - 35 years. A funny thing happened about 8 years ago. They toke the 30 year ring and pushed it into the 35 year category. I thought - what a way to try and save money! How many of those rings do they actually give away each year to make any kind of savings impact???? So I had to wait 5 more years for that ring.

Has anyone else noticed changes like that?

3 years ago I got a certificate/plaque for 15 years, similar to the safe driving ones, but no gift. I was told that was the first year the recognized 15 years.

JustTired

free at last.......
Check your paystubs. When you receive an award, they add it to your pay as earned income. You pay taxes on it. It's not free.

In other words, you're paying for your own award. Example: A TV, worth about $80 if you bought it at Walmart (or where ever), is valued at $250 in those overpriced catalogs. You end up with the 250 added to your income for tax purposes. Depending on your tax bracket, it might be cheaper to go buy it yourself.

The idea of a safe driving award is a good one. But you think they could at least give it to you.....no strings attached. I just decline the award and eat my cake. You don't think they add that to your income, too?!?!

dillweed

At our center, about 4 years ago, they started giving awards for every 5-year mark. So, say you had six years in, you'd have to wait four more years to get one. Meanwhile, people with only five years are getting a goody before you. :happy2:

HazMatMan

At our center, about 4 years ago, they started giving awards for every 5-year mark. So, say you had six years in, you'd have to wait four more years to get one. Meanwhile, people with only five years are getting a goody before you. :happy2:
Imagine that, UPS screwing things up again..lol

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Wonder how much longer these gifts will continue in this economy, especially since people don't seem to appreciate/value them that much?

pretzel_man

They announced today that the catalog gifts are suspended.

Believe it or not, they also discontinued giving out the turkey's as well.

Things must not be looking good from a income standpoint.

P-Man

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Things must not be looking good from a income standpoint."

Pretzel....I have just the opposite opinion.....I would think things are looking pretty good now that the "excess" is taken away. Lean, mean machine !! :foamfinger:

Big Babooba

I delivered something recognizable to our local Flying J recently, it was a michael c fina award box just like ours. Said somebody's getting a prize and asked if they get the same cheap stuff we do, guess what after only 3 years on the job they can pick the mountain bike, one guy had gotten guns and a gun cabinet etc. UPS is cheap?
If you were in management at UPS, would you want to give your employee a gun?:happy-very: